New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

guidelines and research to get started?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default guidelines and research to get started?

Almost finished fixing up the little things that were wrong with the car, tie rods and alignment are all that are left.
Now 1 month before getting started slapping some mods on. Working with a 99 WS6 here, 106k miles, 6speed, MGW short throw shifter.
I'm gonna list everything I will be doing, if I'm missing little bits feel free to throw it in. Such as stall, no idea what that is, or cut outs, again baffled, and last port and polishing the TB...

I've always wanted tru dual X-Pipes, and I like magnaflows, so looking into those right now. Then on to intake, LS6 intake manifold, 90mm TB 90mm MAF, looking around at lids, trying to find a cheap one, it's ram air so it's already got one, and will be doing those "free mods" this week. Underdrive pulleys, subframe connectors, LT headers. The on to cam/heads, will be getting a performance clutch and a transmission rebuild somewhere during all this. A driveshaft, and 9" rear end with either posi-trac or detroit locker, 3.90 gears. Then possibly fuel management, pump, rails, injectors (seeing where I'm at when I get the rest done)

Tips to any of this, good places to start looking? Will be going through Sutton Race Engineering (local and a sponsor here) for tune and help with things in person. But looking for some tips to get started before I start buying, good brands. Again all help is welcomed and extremely appreciated. I'm on here all the time. I'm a quick learner and always trying. I'm already pretty decent with cars, looking at getting into UTI in the fall.

Thanks
Jared

Last edited by JrodCamaro; 06-14-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a ls6 intake is a 3 bolt design,only good to maybe 85mm.don't get a detroit locker.people with m6 don't like them.you don't need a stall converter with a m6.check out the WS6 store,Texas Speed Product,Thunder Racing,Vengeance Racing ,just to list a few.click on the vendors to the right to find what you need.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Last edited by garygnu; 06-15-2011 at 08:02 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:07 PM
Teching In

you also do not need the 90mm maf. your stock one will do just fine. when you get over 500hp then change it. not worth doing it right now
Old 06-14-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

im eventually planning on getting to about 600-650, so I figured i'd do it with all the other intake so I only have to do it once.

tips/details about port and polish the throttle body?
it was suggested to me to go with a short block with forged internals, what will I have to change to do that?

i've heard about relocation brackets for headers, i'd rather go with mid tube headers but whats pros and cons with that? and the LCA's for somethings, will also go with suspension. Leaning towards strano with no more than a 1" drop, I know a guy that knows Sam and gave me his number for when I go into changing my suspension
Old 06-14-2011, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by garygnu
a ls6 intake is a 3 bolt design,only good to maybe 80mm.don't get a detroit locker.people with m6 don't like them.you don't need a stall converter with a m6.check out the WS6 store,Texas Speed Product,Thunder Racing,Vengeance Racing ,just to list a few.click on the vendors to the right to find what you need.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I've done that, and kinda got my basis of what I want to do. But looking for good combinations and anybody could just buy things and throw them on, but I wouldn't know not to go with a detroit locker or that the LS6 was only good to 80mm without asking. Figure it easier to ask here and get good input rather than somebody who may just want to sell their product.

Say if I wanted to get up to 90mm, what intake should I go with. Everybody suggests LS6 because it's better than the LS1, but not that it will limit it later on.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:44 PM
SRE
FormerVendor

Hey Jared,

It sounds like your heading in the right direction there! We have a good list of parts that we have found function well and makes great power for your power goals. Feel free to give us a call at the shop as it would be our pleasure to go over some different ideas with you. Just ask for Casey or James. We look forward to helping you out and please dont hesitate to call the shop at 927-2929! We can also get you all the parts you need as well Look forward to speaking with you!
Old 06-15-2011, 08:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you don't have a intake yet look for a used fast 90/92 intake in the used parts section.if you want a new fast 102 intake check all the vendors for one.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Teching In

i would go with a used fast 92/92 intake and tb and def go with lt headers and if ur planning on building it then go with 1 7/8 headers and if buying a shortblock with forged internals thats basically a new motor but if ur gonna change the block and wanna build it id go with a 6.0 block lq9 there cheap and great to build. good luck with the build!!
Old 06-15-2011, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SRE
Hey Jared,

It sounds like your heading in the right direction there! We have a good list of parts that we have found function well and makes great power for your power goals. Feel free to give us a call at the shop as it would be our pleasure to go over some different ideas with you. Just ask for Casey or James. We look forward to helping you out and please dont hesitate to call the shop at 927-2929! We can also get you all the parts you need as well Look forward to speaking with you!
Skipping the subtleties I'll be coming out there to go over it in person in a month or so. I've heard great things about you, and that speaks alot more to me than anything

Originally Posted by garygnu
if you don't have a intake yet look for a used fast 90/92 intake in the used parts section.if you want a new fast 102 intake check all the vendors for one.
I'll start looking for that one, luckily I've got 2 salvage yards specializing in F-Bodies near me. Was planning to grab an LS6 for the time being, but planning on getting alot of things for one big install rather than playing as I go

Originally Posted by LsXMARO
i would go with a used fast 92/92 intake and tb and def go with lt headers and if ur planning on building it then go with 1 7/8 headers and if buying a shortblock with forged internals thats basically a new motor but if ur gonna change the block and wanna build it id go with a 6.0 block lq9 there cheap and great to build. good luck with the build!!
Thanks, haven't heard anything about the LQ9 yet so time to do some research! I was planning to keep it all 346/350, because well.. It's just kinda got a reputation like none other, no real reasoning behind it just the fact of saying it's only a 350, lol.

Also contemplating pulling the 454 out of the 73 corvette and building that That car was taken apart years ago, and no time to put it all back together currently, so the engine might as well get some good use. I'd like to have both, but dangit it just won't work, haha

Keep the info and opinions coming!
Old 06-15-2011, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ported stock TB, LTs, Lid, and maybe some gears.

Read the link in my signature, great writeup!
Old 06-16-2011, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would have ported the TB already, unfortunately no dremel right now First was gonna be exhaust, LT's all the way back. Just gotta find a system that I'm happy with. Wanting tru-dual x pipes. Good places to look?

I also have already read through that link, that's where I'm getting some ideas of which way to go on the mods I want

When I go with a cam, will I need push rods and valve springs. I've ran into some saying they come with it, some not saying anything at all about it. Hear lots about cams, but never about the other 2 things