Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission cooler install help

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission cooler install help

Ok so I got my stall installed today and the shop didn't end up pitting in my transmission cooler they said there wasn't enough room infront of the bumper idk well I kno iv seen some people install on them on there camaros so is there an easy way to put these in is it hard and where do I mount the cooler? Thanks for any help and advise
Old 06-30-2011, 01:25 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's BS and frankly if you have an increased stall YOU NEED TO RUN THE COOLER!!!

Most car that still use A/C will put it over the condensor. So from front to back you will have....

Trans Cooler / A/C Cond. / Radiator / Fans

Use some zip ties to mount, you will need to work through the Condensor/Radiator but no biggie. Biggest thing is deciding whether to integrate or avoid the in-radiator trans cooler. Some say do it, some say don't. I have done it both ways but never really monitored temps.

It give the best possible chance I would not run it through the radiator and just stick with the dedicated cooler.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/fo...1348/5step.gif

Best Pic I could find, this one is w/o the A/C Cond but gives you a clear shot. Also consider a finned deep trans pan. More surface area and more fluid never hurts. Worse comes to worse get one with dedicated fan you and you can install ANYWHERE!!

Name:  2000CamaroSSRe-assemblySFCsTransCoolerUnderside006.jpg
Views: 8516
Size:  50.0 KB

Old 06-30-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ood-ideas.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ooler-kit.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...-fittings.html
Old 06-30-2011, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
That's BS and frankly if you have an increased stall YOU NEED TO RUN THE COOLER!!!

Most car that still use A/C will put it over the condensor. So from front to back you will have....

Trans Cooler / A/C Cond. / Radiator / Fans

Use some zip ties to mount, you will need to work through the Condensor/Radiator but no biggie. Biggest thing is deciding whether to integrate or avoid the in-radiator trans cooler. Some say do it, some say don't. I have done it both ways but never really monitored temps.

It give the best possible chance I would not run it through the radiator and just stick with the dedicated cooler.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/fo...1348/5step.gif

Best Pic I could find, this one is w/o the A/C Cond but gives you a clear shot. Also consider a finned deep trans pan. More surface area and more fluid never hurts. Worse comes to worse get one with dedicated fan you and you can install ANYWHERE!!

Thanks for the pics I have a b&m cooler I kno I need it they said there was no room to install it I am running ac cuz it's hot where I live. So I would b safe mounting info on the ac condenser?
Old 06-30-2011, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks that thread helped clear up a lot
Old 06-30-2011, 02:03 PM
Internet Mechanic

Yes, it would be fine. I have done it myself. Air is being drawn from the outside and through the coolers. Fans act like a puller so at worst it may be a little more heat for the coolant but it wont since your not running the in radiator cooler.

Biggest issue is getting a thin zip tie into and returning to the otherside. That takes some time or mounting it right to the support but some of the plastic would need removal to aid in working in there. Thats why the avoided the work.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Yes, it would be fine. I have done it myself. Air is being drawn from the outside and through the coolers. Fans act like a puller so at worst it may be a little more heat for the coolant but it wont since your not running the in radiator cooler.

Biggest issue is getting a thin zip tie into and returning to the otherside. That takes some time or mounting it right to the support but some of the plastic would need removal to aid in working in there. Thats why the avoided the work.
Yea I figured tht they were gonna do it all for 260 converter install and cooler but they only charged my 205 so I guess it's not tht bad my cooler came in a kit will those zip ties provided work or get some other ones? And should I bypass the radiator or just the cooler it's self
Old 06-30-2011, 02:50 PM
Internet Mechanic

I've done it both ways and my feeling is that ultimately either the trans fluid is heated up to the coolent temp of the car on the way in or on the way out so if your getting a cooler effect from the dedicated cooler, it becomes less efficent when dealing with the raditator's cooler.

IF your kit comes with a single push through tie and has a "tab" that goes to the other side and you can lock it in, snip off the excess, that would be most ideal. As for the lines you need to either work it around the radiator, through the support (see drilling), or run in over the support, drill the air dam and snake back up the hard lines. IMO the pic I listed is one of the cleaner ones I have ever seen.

Worse come to worse with the ties, get thin ones but very long, and then again snip the excess.

This is the ones I got in my original B&M kit.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A cheap horizontal mount
Attached Thumbnails Transmission cooler install help-transcoolerdopestyle20100523_50-.jpg  
Old 06-30-2011, 04:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

I like that 'cheap horizontal mount'.
When I pick up a cooler at Summit,I'm gonna try that mounting/method,but I'll use some protective grate/screening as most of my driving is freeway.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Default Yank ss3600 hundred will be my next mod

Lots of good information here guys, thank you.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed's ss
Lots of good information here guys, thank you.
Some of the info in this thread is dated. Bypass the radiator, and here you go:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...cs-inside.html

Quick Reply: Transmission cooler install help