New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't spin tires (no asr)

Old 07-07-2011, 12:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't spin tires (no asr)

I attempted to spin the tires today (98 z28 ls1 m6) and about a 4 foot skid was all I could manage dumping the clutch. I don't think i have asr, because theirs just a blank button next to the fog light switch. The button has wires with a blue plug-in to it, just nothing inside the button. Also the low-track light doesn't turn on even on gravel. Not sure whats going on here. Clutch isn't slipping at all either... any ideas?
Old 07-07-2011, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

lol u got a pig nah but serious u got any check engine lights on or anything tht u can think tht is robbing u of hp
Old 07-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Teching In

well could be alot of things... if you just got the car.. did you do a tune up? how many miles on the car?? and what suspension upgrades dose the car have?
Old 07-07-2011, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't think you have ASR either. Mine is the same way. Gm does this a lot, all the wiring is there but the hardware is not.

My car has an A4 but it's the same way. can't get it to spin. It's not that important to me right now though.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Teching In

P0410, 12, 18. Its all air pump things. I have no idea on suspension upgrades
Old 07-07-2011, 10:56 PM

Default my a4 is the sames way

When I first got my 98 z28 it would burn thru 1st 2nd and chirp into 3rd now I turn off my asr and floor it and it just chirp out of 1st and 2nd what's the problem here?
Old 07-07-2011, 11:17 PM
Teching In

im putting in plugs and wires tomorrow, hope It's just low on power

Last edited by mob_barley; 07-07-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I tried chasing mine down, new plugs new wires, new air filter, fuel filter, cleaned MAF, TB, IAC, TPS, it made a big difference, but the car's still a dog.

tbh I'm skeptical of all this alleged performance other people claim the stock F-body has. CAN it be fast? Absolutely. Is it stock? No.. not in my opinion. As such I'm not all that concerned about it until I'm ready to tackle the mechanical aspects of my car.

Still, doing the tune-up is a good idea. Your car has an EGR valve that runs right behind the TB.. making the TB gunk up. Take it off and go to town on it with some TB cleaner and a brush, make it shine, clean your maf, your iac and your tps too.. guaranteed if it's as dirty as mine was you'll see a noticeable difference in throttle response.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DarkFox118
I tried chasing mine down, new plugs new wires, new air filter, fuel filter, cleaned MAF, TB, IAC, TPS, it made a big difference, but the car's still a dog.

tbh I'm skeptical of all this alleged performance other people claim the stock F-body has. CAN it be fast? Absolutely. Is it stock? No.. not in my opinion. As such I'm not all that concerned about it until I'm ready to tackle the mechanical aspects of my car.

Still, doing the tune-up is a good idea. Your car has an EGR valve that runs right behind the TB.. making the TB gunk up. Take it off and go to town on it with some TB cleaner and a brush, make it shine, clean your maf, your iac and your tps too.. guaranteed if it's as dirty as mine was you'll see a noticeable difference in throttle response.

Dumping the clutch with an LS1 fbody should easilly spin the tires as long as you want them to. The car may have some issues.

Also what's the temps outside when you're doing this? What kind of tires do you have. Both play their part.

Also, it's better to go than to spin, although I know it's fun. lol
Old 07-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Teching In

Its around 93°f out, Changed plugs and wires, no difference. seafoam, definatly more power just not enough to spin out. cleaned the maf with no change in power. also new fuel filter. mabey i just have really good tires?
Old 07-08-2011, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have cheap riken raptor indonesian tires. I got the cheapest they had on purpose because my alignment is shot and I figured I'd just burn em up anyway.

nope. Mind you my car is an a4. Stomping it from a stop does not spin, stomping it through a turn does not spin (I guess that's good.. don't wanna spin out..) I've chirped the tires from a stop 1 time when it was low 70s out, and I spun em from ~40mph up a hill in the rain once. That's it in 3000 miles of driving for me.

I guess the question is mob, if you/we have some issues with the motor, what is/are they? Sounds like you're covering your bases. Perhaps you should head in for a compression check?

I asked my mechanic to look at mine for a compression check, he said he'd pass. I had him change my plugs n wires.. he was cursing for 2 days about how much trouble it was. He tried to tell me piston slap was a bad bearing. He's not an ls1 guy,he's a general mechanic, so I don't expect him to know just how noisy these motors are. (heck I didn't know until I got this car..)

If I were you (and I kind of am in your shoes..) if after cleaning out your fuel system, and all the other work you've done and it's still a dog, I'd consider a compression/leakdown test.

Me personally.. I'm just sort of considering my motor a zombie.. and I'm researching/saving up for a 408. We'll see if that happens though.. stuff aint cheap.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:01 AM
Staging Lane

tbh I'm skeptical of all this alleged performance other people claim the stock F-body has. CAN it be fast? Absolutely. Is it stock? No.. not in my opinion.
you are welcome to come ride with me anytime i'm not saying that mine is super fast or anything, but its clean, well kept, low miles, basically bone stock, and i can spin my nitto NT05's to my little heart's content.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:18 AM
Staging Lane

My car, when all stock, had no issues peeling the rear tires off the car.

99 SS M6 Vert with no ASR
Old 07-09-2011, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

what does asr stand for?
Old 07-09-2011, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Russell PTA
you are welcome to come ride with me anytime i'm not saying that mine is super fast or anything, but its clean, well kept, low miles, basically bone stock, and i can spin my nitto NT05's to my little heart's content.

if you lived here I might take you up on that lol.

My car's a dog. I don't know if it's because I just have no concept of "fast" or if because there's something wrong with it.

I came off a 2007 corvette before I got this car, before that I had a subaru legacy GT, so I'm used to "fast" cars I suppose..

tried to spin em this afternoon heh. floored it from a stop.. NOPE. Nothin.. Anyone wanna donate to the 408 fund?
Old 07-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Teching In

I see plenty of mustangs spinning all through 1st and second,
Old 07-09-2011, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01Ws6ix
what does asr stand for?

acceleration slip regulator...
Old 07-09-2011, 06:54 PM
TECH Resident

Time for a Vette?
Old 07-09-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you lived here I might take you up on that lol.

My car's a dog. I don't know if it's because I just have no concept of "fast" or if because there's something wrong with it.

I came off a 2007 corvette before I got this car, before that I had a subaru legacy GT, so I'm used to "fast" cars I suppose..

tried to spin em this afternoon heh. floored it from a stop.. NOPE. Nothin.. Anyone wanna donate to the 408 fund?

fast is not spinning the tires. Even a s10 4 banger can dump a clutch and spin.

LS1 cars are fast/powerful in stock form. Many of them hit 12s in the quarter. Something that many cars 10+ plus years later can barely do.

in modded form, lsx cars can be wicked fast.

something is wrong with your ls1 or its driver error...
-check the firing of the coils
-is the rearend good
-sure you didnt buy a 6 cylinder?
-tps working
-computer running in limp mode?
-clogged cats?
-etc etc
Old 07-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

a4 and i can burn them all the way through first??? chirp second and 3rd ????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can't spin tires (no asr)