Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove front sway bar?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove front sway bar?

Well, trying to get my daily driver a little lighter and I think i want to remove the front sway bar. I hear its not too difficult but if someone can give me tips or pictures on how to do it, it would be appriciated.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you're only going in a straight line you don't want to do that. Either keep it on or get a lighter one or else you'll have terribly body roll
Old 07-12-2011, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by babbage1109
Unless you're only going in a straight line you don't want to do that. Either keep it on or get a lighter one or else you'll have terribly body roll
Well its a daily driver, i only race the quarter mile.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camarosteve44
Well its a daily driver, i only race the quarter mile.
If its your DD dont do it!
Old 07-12-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

i removed mine and i hardly noticed the body roll. but i dont drive mine every day either.
i say remove yours, try it out for awhile. and if you dont like it, put the bar back on
Old 07-12-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Weight loss from losing it isn't worth the sloppier suspension on a daily.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Element
Concur!
Old 07-12-2011, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

get a lighter one. Sam strano sells hollow ones
Old 07-13-2011, 04:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the body roll isnt that bad, you want body roll try driving a 65 pontiac with orginal bushings. just do it its not that bad. however, the weight that you lose cant be felt or really even noticed in the quater. 100lbs is a tenth and the sway bar only weighs like 15lbs.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by usafws6
the body roll isnt that bad, you want body roll try driving a 65 pontiac with orginal bushings. just do it its not that bad. however, the weight that you lose cant be felt or really even noticed in the quater. 100lbs is a tenth and the sway bar only weighs like 15lbs.
The gains from removing a sway bar is not only because of the weight. Weight transfer off the starting line is greatly improved.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zracer323
The gains from removing a sway bar is not only because of the weight. Weight transfer off the starting line is greatly improved.
Then all that's necessary is removing an endlink at the strip. The weight reduction isn't worth the lack of a sway bar IMO, and you can get the benefits in weight transfer just by undoing a bolt before you line it up, then reinstalling it before you drive home.

Better handling + better weight transfer at the strip, all while only being about 15 lbs. heavier than without it = winning!
Old 07-18-2011, 08:16 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Element
The removal of the front sway bar is VERY little to do with weight. It more has to do with removing suspension bind. Same with with upper A arms, the less friction/bind, the easier it is to transfer it.

The weight reduction is just a nice bonus.

There is a minor difference in body roll, some care, others don't. Some just detach the end links. It all depends on what you want to do with the car.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I havent tried mine out at the track yet. I will be taking mine off when I go back to the track in the fall to shoot for 11s. But I dont like the idea of driving without it on the street so a sway bar delete is just for track use for me.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
The removal of the front sway bar is VERY little to do with weight. It more has to do with removing suspension bind. Same with with upper A arms, the less friction/bind, the easier it is to transfer it.

The weight reduction is just a nice bonus.

There is a minor difference in body roll, some care, others don't. Some just detach the end links. It all depends on what you want to do with the car.
For a track car, it's one thing; for a daily driver, it's different. I doubt suspension bind on launch at the track is what the OP is worried about...more than likely, weight reduction for gas mileage improvement, in which case I still think it's utterly useless to do.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:35 AM
Internet Mechanic

Regardless of what the OP intended to do with the car, tons of miss info from other posters on why they should or should not do something. Tossing around miss info here leads to problems down the line.

He may use it as a DD but he does 1/4 mi drag which is a benefit to him and less weight is less weight. It's up to him to decide if he can live with it.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:23 PM
10 Second Club

Weight reduction is many parts together not just one. So a free 15lbs combined with his other plans will add up pretty nice. But on a dd now thats the question.
I havent done mine yet because im skidish from what I have heard. On the other hand I have heard its really not that big of a deal unless your racing around corners. Thats why im thinking to leave it on my car for street and take it off before track as much of a pita it maybe. But then again, Iv never even had the thing off the car so I really dont know.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Internet Mechanic

Removing the bar for the first time is a little involved and best if you have a new set of poly type endlinks as stockers rust out. Putting it plainly, this is NOT something you want to do "at the track" but maybe the weekend before, or days prior and once done, slap it back in at home.

SHOULD NOT BE AN ISSUE for those diehard cornering, DD guys but everyone has to decide their comfort level.

Myself I run a UMI drag bar which allows for zero movement in the rear and basically with weld in SFC's has taken 95% of the slack out of the sway bar delete.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Removing the bar for the first time is a little involved and best if you have a new set of poly type endlinks as stockers rust out. Putting it plainly, this is NOT something you want to do "at the track" but maybe the weekend before, or days prior and once done, slap it back in at home.

SHOULD NOT BE AN ISSUE for those diehard cornering, DD guys but everyone has to decide their comfort level.

Myself I run a UMI drag bar which allows for zero movement in the rear and basically with weld in SFC's has taken 95% of the slack out of the sway bar delete.

I actualy started unbolting mine one day brfore the drive to the track and decided its just a pita so put the bolts back lol.
Your setup is probably something I need. I heard with a drag bar street driving sucks though?
When im ready for sfcs jl said he can hook me up with someone.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Internet Mechanic

Rear drag bar is no biggie, just really cannot be driving like a fool around corners. Really straight line only. Been looking to get out to the track for a while and economy really making it hard.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:07 PM
10 Second Club

I hear ya. Been laid off for a long time with cs to pay. Not fun.
Makes me wonder if I need to get ready to sell the 3rd ls1

Quick Reply: How to remove front sway bar?