Sponsored by:

Coolant bypass or not

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant bypass or not

Hey everyone,

I am debating doing a coolant bypass because it is quick and easy but I am not sure if it is the smartest idea because my car is a DD and will see some sub 0 degree days in Chicago. My friend showed me this link (http://www.ws6.com/mod-8.htm) and the modification seemed to have more than an effect that I expected. I know it is on an LT1, but still it was a noticeable gain. Any thoughts?
Old 08-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those results like stated was with a whole different motor, and too many varibles to compare. Also the "increase" to be honest is neglible. Most do it since some aftermarket intakes like a FAST are designed with out it.

The thought is why introduce any more heat then needed. I have started my car in -20 degree days and it sat outside. No icing of the TB. MAYBE for someone in Canada.... maybe.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Teching In

Thanks for your input! If it works for you in CT than it should work for me in IL!
Old 08-08-2011, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Trans Am is the only car I've had with a throttle body "hot" coolant line going through it. Just about everything else I've owned was run in sub-10F weather, and they never had any issues.

I think GM designed a solution for a problem that never really existed with the throttle body coolant throughput.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Element
I think GM designed a solution for a problem that never really existed with the throttle body coolant throughput.
i believe it was a result if extensive testing in the arctic circle.......

mine a dd and i did it just because when it comes to incoming air cooler is better! However i realize in md im not seeing temps that low.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:30 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I did it on my 01 TA when I had the TB out to be P&P'd. I usually only drove that car on nice days. But one very cold day the car was parked outside and after starting it, I had a strange driveability issue, really rough running. It cleared up after a block or two of driving.

I don't know that it was TB icing, but it was enough to make me leery about doing it on my other cars.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

I've seen a few other car with it but don't really see a point in it. IF you do it just search on here for what you need and go to a parts store and buy a few clamps and a piece of hose for 2-3 dollars. Its not worth it if you pay 15 dollars for a kit
Old 08-09-2011, 02:00 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm told the resulting increase in power is negligible. I'd do the 'mod if I was bored...
Old 08-10-2011, 07:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Did it with intake and tb....kinda like a why not mod