New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying BBK Longtubes!! Need more info please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying BBK Longtubes!! Need more info please help!!!

I'm getting ready to buy BBk's longtubes for my 01 SS.. I know I'm going to buy/install new plugs, wires, & new 02 extensions as well. Since the headers only come with a ORY should i get 02 sim's for the extra bungs on the y or the block off plates? Is there any real difference? Also I'm aware I will have to get the rear 02 sensors tuned out along with AIR but confused is there another plate on the back of my intake to cover? If so... where? Sorry for all the questions I've searched and read searched and read/ repeat but still need some help! Thanks guys!
Old 08-13-2011, 12:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're having the rear o2s tuned out, which you'll need to unless you're going to modify the setup to run cats, you just need to seal off those rear 02 bungs. You can use a bolt or do what I did. I just plugged my rear 02s in and clipped the wires off. I only know one guy who used sims, he was constantly coming by to have me clear rear 02 codes, so they apparently aren't that reliable. I don't know if you can even still find them; haven't seen them for sale in a while.

You don't need block off plates, since there are no provisions on the BBKs for AIR or EGR (if you have it). Again, like you said, you'll need to have those systems tuned out or they'll throw codes, and there will be no place to connect them so you'll need to remove them.

The AIR system does have a vaccuum line that runs to the back of the intake. You can follow that hose running along the driver's side under the hood right back to it. You can remove all that and plug the valve on the back of the intake or again, what I did is I just pruned off the hose to under the cowl and plugged it. I felt I'd be better able to pull that bit of hose out and ensure it was still sealed, than trying to check the back of the intake, if my plug job failed and I suspected a vaccuum leak. You'll also need to plug the hole in your air lid that the AIR system uses to suck air in. You can pull the fuse for AIR (just check the diagram) if you'll be driving the car to get tuned. That'll keep the pump from running until it's tuned out.