New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which ported TB to buy?

Old 08-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which ported TB to buy?

Hi, I'm looking to buy a professionally ported TB for my car, and was wondering which of these TB's I should buy. Are they all going to be the same? Is one more reputable than the next? All input is appreciated, thanks.

P.S. The one with the ***** behind it almost had me sold.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/eBay-Mot...0.l1313&_rdc=1
Old 08-21-2011, 05:47 PM
Banned

ummmm just have yours ported. if you go cheapo you will probably have idle or throttle blade issues. just a FYI
Old 08-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cookba
ummmm just have yours ported. if you go cheapo you will probably have idle or throttle blade issues. just a FYI
What sort of idle issues? Or blade issues?

I want to get one of these ported TB's, they are done by people who know more about TB's than I do. And I have no idea how to port one myself.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
What sort of idle issues? Or blade issues?

I want to get one of these ported TB's, they are done by people who know more about TB's than I do. And I have no idea how to port one myself.
Throttle blade getting stuck, not closing all the way, stiff, etc.

As for idle... mine was apparently ported badly and idled rather high... around 1500. And when it got warm, it would bounce between 800-1500 every second or so.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sent mine to New Era Performance for $75 they did a great job.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xephona
Throttle blade getting stuck, not closing all the way, stiff, etc.

As for idle... mine was apparently ported badly and idled rather high... around 1500. And when it got warm, it would bounce between 800-1500 every second or so.
Best way to fix that is just keep your old TB. If the new ported one gives you problems, just put the old one back on and ship the new one back to sender.

Are those problems very common though?
Old 08-21-2011, 06:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blk/slvr02ss
I sent mine to New Era Performance for $75 they did a great job.
Is it www.neweraperformance.com to go to?

Because that just brings up an empty website, there's nothing on it.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Best way to fix that is just keep your old TB. If the new ported one gives you problems, just put the old one back on and ship the new one back to sender.

Are those problems very common though?
This was a while ago, it was resolved (and yes, I kept my old one.. which is how I figured out that the problem was the port job). Just explaining what the possible "screwups" result in if it is done poorly.

They are common with people doing it themselves, not so much with reputable people who do hundreds of them

EDIT: And this is new era performance's website. http://www.neweraperformanceparts.co...mart&Itemid=54
Old 08-21-2011, 06:24 PM
Banned

This was a while ago, it was resolved (and yes, I kept my old one.. which is how I figured out that the problem was the port job). Just explaining what the possible "screwups" result in if it is done poorly.

They are common with people doing it themselves, not so much with reputable people who do hundreds of them
But you bought yours from a "reputable person" and still had the problem, must be rare though.

I plan on buying one from an Ebay seller, most of the ones on there are "Top Rated Sellers". I hope I don't have any problems.

Did you feel any gains or difference in yours?
Old 08-21-2011, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

But you bought yours from a "reputable person" and still had the problem, must be rare though.

I plan on buying one from an Ebay seller, most of the ones on there are "Top Rated Sellers". I hope I don't have any problems.

Did you feel any gains or difference in yours?
Mine came with a LS6 manifold that I bought here... it was probably done by the previous owner in the garage. It was not done at a shop or anything like that... hence why I had my old one still, just a free bonus for spending $300 on a used manifold. But yes I felt gains, just didn't idle "perfectly." (rather, I felt better throttle response)

EDIT: Almost forgot... whenever you do have this done... make sure it is the right year for your car. The older ones (98-99 I think) have a different sized cam as I recall. Though you could just rip it out of your old one (assuming you are buying a used TB flat out, rather than sending yours in to be ported and sitting around while you wait for it in the mail.)

EDIT #2: Little bit of irony for you, the ebay link you posted earlier saying you were almost sold on the TB with the ***** behind it... that is Photz6 (whom you were looking for a few posts later)

Last edited by xephona; 08-21-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:48 PM
Banned

ill see if I can find the guy from Woodstock that does these. Hes here on the forum.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Banned

Mine came with a LS6 manifold that I bought here... it was probably done by the previous owner in the garage. It was not done at a shop or anything like that... hence why I had my old one still, just a free bonus for spending $300 on a used manifold. But yes I felt gains, just didn't idle "perfectly." (rather, I felt better throttle response)

EDIT: Almost forgot... whenever you do have this done... make sure it is the right year for your car. The older ones (98-99 I think) have a different sized cam as I recall. Though you could just rip it out of your old one (assuming you are buying a used TB flat out, rather than sending yours in to be ported and sitting around while you wait for it in the mail.)

EDIT #2: Little bit of irony for you, the ebay link you posted earlier saying you were almost sold on the TB with the ***** behind it... that is Photz6 (whom you were looking for a few posts later)
Wow, it is! Is that his wife or something? Nice chest!

Anyways, he has 100% positive feedback, that's good news to hear.

I was looking on there and didn't see anything that is year specific. I have the 2001, which is slightly different from the '98-'00 models. I am wondering how I can make sure I get the right TB for my car.

Lastly, is there anything else I need to buy with this? It's basically take out my old one and put in the new one right? What all will I have to transfer over to this new one? Probably the screen, and a sensor or two, am I right?
Old 08-21-2011, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Wow, it is! Is that his wife or something? Nice chest!

Anyways, he has 100% positive feedback, that's good news to hear.

I was looking on there and didn't see anything that is year specific. I have the 2001, which is slightly different from the '98-'00 models. I am wondering how I can make sure I get the right TB for my car.

Lastly, is there anything else I need to buy with this? It's basically take out my old one and put in the new one right? What all will I have to transfer over to this new one? Probably the screen, and a sensor or two, am I right?
You probably specify to him when you order, I honestly couldn't tell you. You transfer the two black plastic pieces over... and that should be it. total of 7 screws? Nothing to buy... pretty much plug and play.

EDIT: Good old ls1howto has all the info you need.
http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=11
Old 08-21-2011, 11:15 PM
Banned

Thanks for all the help everyone. Will be buying this in the next few weeks, can't wait!
Old 08-21-2011, 11:48 PM
TECH Regular

i would go for the one with the *****...make sure to mention that you were bidding on the pictured items...
Old 08-22-2011, 03:07 AM
Teching In

I got one from this guy heres his thread and trust me this is quality work and looks pretty and performs great no sticky idle none of that just good work and great guy to deal with
https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...body-sale.html
Old 08-22-2011, 12:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by phoenix57
I got one from this guy heres his thread and trust me this is quality work and looks pretty and performs great no sticky idle none of that just good work and great guy to deal with
https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...body-sale.html
Looks like I just missed that sale. I think he's all out of TB's.

Last edited by SilverGhost; 08-22-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bramlok
lemons12, did you get one of his TB's? If so, what kind of problems did you have?
No sir.

I bought a power steering assembly from him.

Two bolts were junk which damaged one of my holes, one bracket was and you couldn't tighten the bolt in it, one line had a hole in it and leaked.

He told me he was going to powder coat them for me for free since the price was a tad high IMO and he wouldn't come down. I won't bitch too much about this because it was free but the color was way, way off.

After I got the assembly I sent him a PM asking him to call me. He immediately sent me a message back saying that the parts should have arrived. I sent him one back a few hours later saying that they did but I have a few problems I would like to go over with him. I didn't hear from him for, IIRC, 8 months. This was after several, several PMs trying to contact him, a paypal claim, a bad trader rating, etc..
One day I decided to PM him one more time about the transaction. Basically he told me everything was my fault that was wrong that there was NO way anything was wrong with those parts and told me that he had sent me several PMs as well as called me 2-3 times. BULL ****! Would be the first PMs I have EVER missed, and I know for a fact I didn't have a missed call from his shop.

I didn't even want a full refund. I have to spend an extra 35$ plus gas as well as a TON of frustration to make his assembly work and didn't even get to use the brackets. A 40-50$ refund would have settled fine with me and I let him know this. He said he didn't have the money and even if he did he wouldn't send it.

Like I said, buyer beware!
Old 08-22-2011, 11:21 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have done nothing but spam this board with this crap, I'm getting tired of removing your innappropriate bashing over a small transaction of which Tim has his side of the story as well. Tim works for me now and has a stellar reputation and feedback selling our ported and powder coated throttle bodies that we produce together. Notice I'm not deleting your story, you have a right to post what you feel happened. But this has nothing to do with a damn thing in this thread, just like all the other threads you keep popping up in. Please control yourself.

Originally Posted by lemons12
No sir.

I bought a power steering assembly from him.

Two bolts were junk which damaged one of my holes, one bracket was and you couldn't tighten the bolt in it, one line had a hole in it and leaked.

He told me he was going to powder coat them for me for free since the price was a tad high IMO and he wouldn't come down. I won't bitch too much about this because it was free but the color was way, way off.

After I got the assembly I sent him a PM asking him to call me. He immediately sent me a message back saying that the parts should have arrived. I sent him one back a few hours later saying that they did but I have a few problems I would like to go over with him. I didn't hear from him for, IIRC, 8 months. This was after several, several PMs trying to contact him, a paypal claim, a bad trader rating, etc..
One day I decided to PM him one more time about the transaction. Basically he told me everything was my fault that was wrong that there was NO way anything was wrong with those parts and told me that he had sent me several PMs as well as called me 2-3 times. BULL ****! Would be the first PMs I have EVER missed, and I know for a fact I didn't have a missed call from his shop.

I didn't even want a full refund. I have to spend an extra 35$ plus gas as well as a TON of frustration to make his assembly work and didn't even get to use the brackets. A 40-50$ refund would have settled fine with me and I let him know this. He said he didn't have the money and even if he did he wouldn't send it.

Like I said, buyer beware!

Search this Thread