Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

milling 243's

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default milling 243's

I'm going to be installing a set on my Firehawk. I'm wanting to keep it N/A for a while. What I'm wondering is it worth milling them for the extra power and compression? I'm not doing a cam just yet. But will have full exhaust. Would I benefit to do it?
Old 09-07-2011, 10:41 AM
TECH Regular

yes you will defiantly gain power if your port/CNC mill them. I would suggest sending them to somebody to do it, but only because i know nothing about milling/porting. It will cost a good amount of money...but better off with a set of amazing heads than a set of useless heads.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Thanks Johns! I'm trying to figure out other routes for power. My thing is I want a cam and converter. To go with the heads. Trying to get some ideas down.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pick out a cam first then you can figure out how much if any you can mill and still have piston to valve clearance. You will really limit your cam options later on if you mill now unless you want to flycut your pistons....
Old 09-08-2011, 03:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

You really need to spec heads/cam/converter to work together.

If you are going to port the heads that will make a difference as will the intake you run. It's probably best to get a good idea what you will be working with as far as head flow and intake flow and rpm band, then get a cam and converter to work with it all as a combo.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lord_Vaders_Hawk
I'm going to be installing a set on my Firehawk. I'm wanting to keep it N/A for a while. What I'm wondering is it worth milling them for the extra power and compression? I'm not doing a cam just yet. But will have full exhaust. Would I benefit to do it?
Compression is always worth it. If you want a real killer set of heads ship them to TEA for the Stage II treatment
Old 09-09-2011, 05:16 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info. Once I get everything back together . I might start with a fresh block. And go from there. That's why I'm figuring out top side options now. I have a decent idea for bottom end.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like others have said, if you mill the heads now and get a cam and converter later you will need to pick out your cam and converter to match the head flow/valve clearance. This will limit the choices of the different cams you can get (something not to big). A cam is only another $300 or so. If you're going to spend $1500 or more on a set of heads (and already have the engine torn down) I would definitely bite the bullet for a cam at the same time.

To answer your original question though, yes you will gain from it; however mods usually like to work in groups to get the most gains ie intake & exhaust together. It's like getting a huge vacuum and sticking a little hose on the end. There's no reason to have anything disproportionate to another or you'll have ended up wasting money.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spend a little more money and have the valves lapped with some bowl blending and you will pick up more than milling and still have the option to mill after you choose your cam. The better flow from the bowl blending will then help to optimize the cam when you get it..... It's cheap and one of the best bang for the buck mods since the heads are already off...

Read here for a basic description of what a BB is>>>>> http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...g/viewall.html
Old 09-09-2011, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys for the info. Basicly I have a set of Z06 heads coming. I havent bought a LS6 manifold yet, but like most. Im on a tight budget. I am doing full dual exhaust with L/T's and a x pipe with Spiral Flows. So the flow out shouldnt be an issue.

As far as the cam and converter. I was leaning towards either the ASA or Polluter cams. Converter size, between 3200 to 3600. Not wanting to get to crazy with it cause its a dd and only gets track time in the fall/winter. The heat sucks here in FL!