Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Gas Gauge Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Weird Gas Gauge Problem

today when i was driving i had about 1/4 of a tank and i saw my friend pass by so i put it in neutral (A4) and threw a quick rev and then back into drive. next thing i know, i looked down and my gas gauge dropped to empty and my gas light came on. when i got home i turned off the car and turned it back on and the gas was back up to 1/4 tank. this isnt the first time its happened either but it seems like it does it when i put it in neutral to rev while driving
Old 09-07-2011, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine used to do it when I was getting pretty low and then I slammed on brakes. I guess the sloshing around tripped the sensor. It would be off if I turned it off and back on. Not sure why it would do it while you are in neutral because you aren't jostling the tank or anything.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

if i was to guess what the gauge is doing, noticed it on mine and both my GM trucks did it too same years basicaly,so this is what i came up with, take as u will lol, i think it bases it on ur driving/fuel consumption, so i u put in N and rev up it thinks ur burning way more gas and not going anywere so it thinks o hes burning this much gas this fast hes actually gunna be empty so it drops the gauge down further or to E, i noticed if i get on it through a couple gears on the ride home and park it might say 1/8th tank, next morn i ll have a 1/4 or somethin.

again idk this is only thing i could come up with lol, so chance non of the above is true BUT how it feels in my vehicles
Old 09-13-2011, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

but ill do it when i coasting down an off ramp and it will do the same thing (i dont rev it then) i just find it weird. i dont know where it thinks the gas is going
Old 09-14-2011, 08:03 AM
Teching In

Same here. My 02 Trans am will drop even when im just driving and will mostly go back up and repeat. Its weird.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:22 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Becareful, it might be your fuel pump. I had the same problem on my old Camaro, I would put gas, then the gauge will say full, drop down to empty, go back and forth in the middle, it was like possessed and it sucked cause I never really knew how much gas I had so my car stopped numerous of times in the middle of the street due to empty tank so I needed to put gas pretty much every single damn day to avoid a empty tank, was like that for a year until my car wouldn't start anymore because of the fuel pump, over a thousand dollar work job plus towing.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:54 AM
Teching In

Thanks il have to look into that, its been doing it frequently so ima have to check it out
Old 09-14-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

see mine doesnt do that. it wont fluctuate while im driving, only when i put it in neutral. im weird and i have yet to figure it out but it does it every time...
Old 09-14-2011, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Mine will usually set itself back when it goes in neutral, and when im driving it can stay normal for a few then it can drop like a rock the next minute and go up again. but like BoricuaHec01 said im just goin to take my car in and have em look at the fuel pump just to play it safe
Old 09-15-2011, 06:10 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

A fluctuating gauge doesn't necessarily mean there's a fuel pump problem. True, the sending unit and the pump are packed as one single assembly but one doesn't necessarily affect the other. If you want to make sure your fuel pump is working properly you need to put a fuel pressure gauge on it, checking for PSI @ KEY ON, engine running, and then after shutdown. As for the fuel gauge, you have to check the sending unit itself, which requires electrical testing.

Try to test the pump yourself-taking in to a shop will cost you the usual $70-$100 or more "diagnostic" fee. IMO, the wacky fuel gauges are just typical of older domestic cars...

Quick Reply: Weird Gas Gauge Problem