Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

did a header install and need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default did a header install and need help

i just put on my bbk long tubes and i had a 3'' cutout and started up and drove around and it was too loud and way too raspy, lacked a deep tone. i put the plate on my cutout so my exhaust went thru my borla catback, and its a little better, the noise is loud but tolerable a but still seems to high in the treble if you know what i mean. too raspy and not the deep defined growl im looking for. i know lots of ppl here have headers just want to know what your catback or setup is and how it sounds. clips if possible would like to take care of this soon
Old 09-20-2011, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

to the top still looking for advice....
Old 09-20-2011, 01:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Y pipe are you running from the headers back? If you're running anything with a shitty merge then that could be one of your main culprits for the rasp.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

the bbk y pipe that came with it. needs to be adjusted sits really low under the car
Old 09-20-2011, 08:48 AM
Launching!

There is a vid of my car on the dyno....Pacesetter Longtubes, TSP 3" Y-pipe, QTP cutout (which was open) and a magnaflow catback.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a firm believer that you need a good y-pipe merge for good sound. I highly suggest looking into the flowmaster merge... either a dual 3" into 3.5" or into 4", they sell both. You can then place a larger cut-out after that, and then a reducer back to 3" to mate with the cat-back. Its a good place to start and the merge itself is only like $45. Tough part is fabbing it into ur current y-pipe.

Oh and idk much about BBK y-pipe... so if thats already got a nice merge, then nm on what I just said...
Old 09-20-2011, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

so i found a clip and i rather like this guys setup, its headers down to a ts x pipe with moroso spiral flows, anyone heard anything negative about the moroso? id prolly swap the x pipe for true dual tho heres the video sounds better than most ls1's ive heard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t45xZme3fIo
Old 09-20-2011, 10:30 AM
Launching!

I have ebay headers no cats and lpp true duals. It sounds great its loud but its deep and no rasp i love every second of it.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by usnfenix
i just put on my bbk long tubes and i had a 3'' cutout and started up and drove around and it was too loud and way too raspy, lacked a deep tone. i put the plate on my cutout so my exhaust went thru my borla catback, and its a little better, the noise is loud but tolerable a but still seems to high in the treble if you know what i mean. too raspy and not the deep defined growl im looking for. i know lots of ppl here have headers just want to know what your catback or setup is and how it sounds. clips if possible would like to take care of this soon

It's because the cats/stock manifolds are not on your car anymore, They have been replaced by less restrictive pipes, so they wont quiet it down. You may be able to find a y pipe to make it better, but you are probably going to have to purchase a new catback.

Magnaflow Magnaflow is one of the lowest tones you will get, otherwise you may need to man up or put the stock parts back on. I mean, I drive around with my cutout open all the time...
Old 09-20-2011, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

There is pretty much no way around long tubes making an LS1 significantly louder, is there? (I've got stock manifolds and mid pipe with Magnaflow catback...it's plenty loud...don't want it much louder...but do want the power increase of the long tubes.)
Old 09-20-2011, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by theaccountant
There is pretty much no way around long tubes making an LS1 significantly louder, is there? (I've got stock manifolds and mid pipe with Magnaflow catback...it's plenty loud...don't want it much louder...but do want the power increase of the long tubes.)
Two options come to my mind on this one. You can keep your catback and put a cutout on it, to later decide your magnaflow is actually very quiet. Or you can source yourself a stock catback. My exhaust puts a **** eating grin on my face every time I see a cop and shut the cutout, opposite ends of the sound spectrum.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Black96z28
Magnaflow is one of the lowest tones you will get, otherwise you may need to man up or put the stock parts back on. I mean, I drive around with my cutout open all the time...

lol i love the open cutout sound dont get me wrong but some of us live in suberbia and work the night shift so driving to my house at 2am with a cutout open is not an option. there is no need to "man up" here i think you misplace what im asking. i want loud but deep right now i have loud and raspy.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

magnaflow. i have the bbks and that. sounds amazing idle is deep and quiet and gets loud and rumbly when your on it.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think im going to buy the texas speed x pipe true duals and maybe replace the spirals with morosos have heard alot of good reviews about both
Old 09-21-2011, 08:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by usnfenix
i think im going to buy the texas speed x pipe true duals and maybe replace the spirals with morosos have heard alot of good reviews about both
Good Choice