Sponsored by:

LS1 freshen up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 freshen up?

Hi Guys,

(I posted this in a different spot but then I decided it would prob be better here so here it is and thanks for the help)

I am about to do a LS1 (1999) swap into a 92 rs convertible. I have the complete donor car. It runs great (no smoke, no noise, good power) but has high miles 180,000. Do you guys think I should do anything to it while its on the stand? I'm kinda on a budget and not sure if I should even touch it. I've built some sbc engines in the past so I have experience when it comes to engine building but not anything LS1 specific. Maybe just some things to watch out for and maybe a few things to look at that might problem areas with an LS1 with this many miles.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:20 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If its on an engine stand I think it would be a good idea to look at some new lifters. Do you plan to put a cam or anything in it? At that kind of mileage it would never hurt to get some new valve springs, maybe a stock replacement timing chain as well. IMO valve train components would be the things to look at most.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Test the compression also to see how the rings are before you pull the heads. Just so your aware the head and crank bolts are one use only so they need to be replaced.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would pick up a set of arp rod bolts, new ls2 timing chain, new lifters & valve springs (especially if going with a different cam), new ported oil pump. At the bare minimum get the timing chain and oil pump, it's not a lot of money and is well worth the piece of mind.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 777
I would pick up a set of arp rod bolts, new ls2 timing chain, new lifters & valve springs (especially if going with a different cam), new ported oil pump. At the bare minimum get the timing chain and oil pump, it's not a lot of money and is well worth the piece of mind.
I think all this sounds like a plan. I'm in Mooresville nc, any suggestions on where to get all that stuff at a reasonable price. Whats the deal with the ported oil pump? The LS2 timing chain is just a better piece or what? I've been told that the rod bolts are the weak link in the LS bottom end, whats the story on that.

Also the compression test is on the list of to do's whats a good number for this engine

Thanks
Old 09-23-2011, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JohnJanz@Texas-Speed
If its on an engine stand I think it would be a good idea to look at some new lifters. Do you plan to put a cam or anything in it? At that kind of mileage it would never hurt to get some new valve springs, maybe a stock replacement timing chain as well. IMO valve train components would be the things to look at most.
Thanks

I plan on doing a cam swap eventually but for now I'd like to get the car moving under its own power first (reliable, bugs worked out, stuff like that) before I dive into the mod world.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:14 PM
Teching In

Ok i did the compression test. They varied from 150 to the highest 190 is that in the right range? I looked around some but could not find a range for the test.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by junkmutha
I think all this sounds like a plan. I'm in Mooresville nc, any suggestions on where to get all that stuff at a reasonable price. Whats the deal with the ported oil pump? The LS2 timing chain is just a better piece or what? I've been told that the rod bolts are the weak link in the LS bottom end, whats the story on that.

Also the compression test is on the list of to do's whats a good number for this engine

Thanks
You can get any of the above mentioned items at several of the sponsors listed on this site. Find the best price/customer service you feel comfortable with.

Oil pump is a weak link in these cars and if it fails, well you know you've got a big problem.

Ls2 timing chain is a stronger replacement for the stock timing chain. They wear/stretch over time and it's a good idea to replace with age. They're not expensive and you have to take it off to do the pump so why not, right?

Rod bolts are the weak link in the bottom end, but you really shouldn't have a huge issue with that unless you are revving the engine really high often.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by junkmutha
Ok i did the compression test. They varied from 150 to the highest 190 is that in the right range? I looked around some but could not find a range for the test.
These are good numbers.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would pull the bottom end apart, new rings, bearings, and arp hardware everywhere. Then get some new lifters and an oil pump, timing chain. Just my .02, I think its worth the little extra $ it would cost in the long run. Make sure if you do this though to follow the GM service manual procedures on how to take the engine apart, there are allot of special steps that aren’t required when doing a regular 350 or even a iron block ls engine, mainly has to do with the way the main caps are removed/installed and the front and back cover alignment require special alignment tools in order for the job to be done properly. Look at it this way, I only want my engine on a stand once and only once, so do it right and you will thank yourself later.

Quick Reply: LS1 freshen up?