Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good exhaust setup?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good exhaust setup?

Im looking to finally start modifying my 99 TA. Im prolly gonna just start off with headers/exhaust. i was wondering if any of you had any good ideas for a good performance producing setup. id really like true duals, X-pipe, such a fan. but shuld i keep 3" or what size? cats or no cats, mufflers or no. throw me some good advice ^^
Old 09-24-2011, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

True Duals Sound the best IMO

How ever You have Cutouts in the rear bumper for exhaust tips and True Duals over the Axle are stupid expensive.

Id Recommend
Long Tubes
Off Road Y Pipe (Thats NO Cats)

Now for the Catback
-MagnaFlow
-SLP LoudMouth (if you like Loud)
-Mufflex 4inch with Spintech Muffler
Old 09-24-2011, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this should help you decide what you want.
http://ls1sounds.com/
Old 09-25-2011, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the TSP rumbler catback setup, Have FLP longtubes and Y-pipe, and no cats,, car is loud, but everyone loves the sound, and it will scream. True duals are out there, I am not a big fan of them, There have been dyno tests that show they make more power than a Y-pipe system, and there have been dyno tests that show a Good flowing Y pipe setup is every bit as good as a dual system.
Here is a vid of mine on the dyno at TSP has pretty good sound

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/m...nt=463pull.mp4
Old 09-25-2011, 12:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have the exhaust bumper cutouts on my ta and I'm running a dumped dynomax bullet off my y pipe. I don't think it looks bad without pipes @ the bumper. What looks bad is that I have about 4-5" ground clearance bc I need a new hanger welded on. Was off my friends car and he had big drag radials and wasn't lowered. Btw if ur looking for a great flowing muffler the dyno bullet has to be one of the best. It has 6 small spiraled baffles, its almost a resonator lol
Old 09-25-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're interested in a Texas Speed Rumber, shoot me a PM. Been thinkinga bout selling mine.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

Personally I like the sound of true duals best, but other than that my favorite is what I'm working on right now:

Pacesetter Longtubes
Off Road Y with dual cutouts
SLP Loudmouth (or Loudmouth II if you don't want quite so loud)
Old 09-30-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)

Prepare for several efforts to get it right. Took me a few times to get all the leaks sealed up. Have also tried a bunch of different setups to get the sound right. Make sure you understand what youre getting....especially dont go too loud if you spend a lot of time in the car and dont want headaches.....make sure you get cats if you cant get around the emissions inspections. Also, if you get long tubes you must get a tune or your call wont feel right
Old 09-30-2011, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my car with a 3" adjustable Borla on it. Originally I was going to go with TSP long tubes and a custom y-pipe but now I think I am going to shell out the extra dough and go with ARH long tubes and ORY.

LS1sounds can help but it doesn't help me much at all, they don't have that setup on there unfortunately.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you put headers on your car DO NOT GO BORLA I had the adjustable plate system too but I put long tubes on ( long tubes will generally sound the same regardless of brand ) and it was loud but sounded like ****. Won a gold medal at the raspy Olympics. Was a disorganized shitty tone that started once rpms got above 2500. Sounded good under that and was really deciving then I got on it and everyone was like wtf is that. I bought a corsa system and it fixed it. Its the way the borla is setup; one pipe bypasses the muffler all together and the other goes into it. Not only are there two diff tones out the back but there's unequal backpressure. Trust me
Old 09-30-2011, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

I'm getting ready to install Hooker long tubes, x pipe and spiral flows on my Firehawk. I can't wait! I was in your boat and the great people on here helped me out just fine. Good luck!
Old 09-30-2011, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do not get headers, org, and loudmouth unless you want to bleed out of your ears. Plus it has to be the raspiest setup ever.

Listen to ls1sounds and find what you like best. Keep in mind ricers think their exhaust sounds awesome so take others opinions with a grain of salt.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:32 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Convert your loudmouth to a BorlaMouth or a MagnaMouth if you plan on LT's and ORY.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:27 AM
On The Tree

doin the same thing right now.i read alot of post and decided to go with the hooker cat-back to start with and build of that.i like it really well its got a good deep tone,not raspy.quiet while cruisin but sounds agressive when needed.the price is cheaper than most and if i didn't like it i could buy a magnflow muffler and still be money ahead.stainless wasn't important to me.good luck
Old 10-01-2011, 06:23 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by usnfenix
If you put headers on your car DO NOT GO BORLA I had the adjustable plate system too but I put long tubes on ( long tubes will generally sound the same regardless of brand ) and it was loud but sounded like ****. Won a gold medal at the raspy Olympics. Was a disorganized shitty tone that started once rpms got above 2500. Sounded good under that and was really deciving then I got on it and everyone was like wtf is that. I bought a corsa system and it fixed it. Its the way the borla is setup; one pipe bypasses the muffler all together and the other goes into it. Not only are there two diff tones out the back but there's unequal backpressure. Trust me
I was literally about to buy some hooker headers and some Borla Xr-1 with 3" with a x-pipe with a cat-delete.. I DON'T want rasp
Old 10-01-2011, 08:19 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tsp duals here with sweet thunders, i will never ever change my setup or go back to a rasp filled y pipe, duals are loud,but if you want loud and a great sound imo duals is the only way to go, i also have great clearance with mine
Old 10-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fire120ball
I was literally about to buy some hooker headers and some Borla Xr-1 with 3" with a x-pipe with a cat-delete.. I DON'T want rasp
wow u and me both i eneded up deciding with headers, truduals X-pipe with xr1 mufflers. i think it will be beast.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mike.warrenws6
wow u and me both i eneded up deciding with headers, truduals X-pipe with xr1 mufflers. i think it will be beast.

the borla i am refering too is the one that looks like this

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=ls1+b...1t:429,r:8,s:0

notice how one end bypasses the muffler competly and one end goes in. not only are there two diff tones ( straight pipe end is raspy as hell once headers are added ) but theres unequall backpressure, not good for our cars. i dont know how the xr1 is someone else will have to put input in for that
Old 10-01-2011, 08:19 PM
Teching In

i have slp loud mouths on my car, and i hate it! i want to go to true duals eveeryone i have talked to says its the best way to go! good luck
Old 10-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Banned

If you have money hands down kooks true duals and longtubes maryland spped is the cheapest to by kooks from the exhaust is ba. Search kooks true duals on youtube