Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some advice on getting my TA ready to be sold

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some advice on getting my TA ready to be sold

Well, I think it’s soon going to be time to sell my TA. My better half wants a family vehicle, and has settled on a truck. The GTO isn’t going anywhere, and is going to be my new daily driver when she gets the truck, so I’ll still get my LS fix. I also plan on getting a beater eventually so keep the miles down on the goat. That means that I need to get the TA ready to be sold. And I’m looking for some advice on what I should get done to it before I put it up for sale. So far, here’s the list of things that it needs, and I’d like to find out what you all think I should take care of, and what is alright to leave for the next owner, and won’t hurt the resale too much.

Needs shocks replaced (original, car was lowered and has 126k miles)
Drivers-side side skirt missing all but two mounting tabs and hangs
Driver seat belt and one rear seat belt buckle covers broke off (driver buckle falls past stop on belt)
Rear bump-stops
Hood needs to be repainted (fiberglass, and wasn’t prepped right when it was painted)
Coolant could use a flush (doesn’t overheat or anything, just time to be done)
Crash pad
Passanger sun visor fell out

Car runs great, and I’d been planning on keeping it for another 5-10 years, but you know how it goes- the wife comes first. I was planning on buying new shocks shortly, but the rest I’m trying to figure out if they are worth the money to address.

Last edited by majeskyb; 09-30-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:06 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by majeskyb
Car runs great, and I’d been planning on keeping it for another 5-10 years, but you know how it goes- the wife comes first.

I'm glad I make the car decisions in my house.

As for your list, you'll probably want to clean up the cosmetic (hood) issues to get the best price, but that other stuff likely won't get you any more money for the car.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Well, I think it’s soon going to be time to sell my TA. My better half wants a family vehicle, and has settled on a truck. The GTO isn’t going anywhere, and is going to be my new daily driver when she gets the truck, so I’ll still get my LS fix. I also plan on getting a beater eventually so keep the miles down on the goat. That means that I need to get the TA ready to be sold. And I’m looking for some advice on what I should get done to it before I put it up for sale. So far, here’s the list of things that it needs, and I’d like to find out what you all think I should take care of, and what is alright to leave for the next owner, and won’t hurt the resale too much.

Needs shocks replaced (original, car was lowered and has 126k miles)
Drivers-side side skirt missing all but two mounting tabs and hangs
Driver seat belt and one rear seat belt buckle covers broke off (driver buckle falls past stop on belt)
Rear bump-stops
Hood needs to be repainted (fiberglass, and wasn’t prepped right when it was painted)
Coolant could use a flush (doesn’t overheat or anything, just time to be done)
Crash pad

Car runs great, and I’d been planning on keeping it for another 5-10 years, but you know how it goes- the wife comes first. I was planning on buying new shocks shortly, but the rest I’m trying to figure out if they are worth the money to address.
LMAO Im about to be a smartass, but my first order of business on selling my car would be to wash the nasty thing LOL. Im JK man. Most of that stuff isnt really stuff that someone would nit pick and try to get you to come off the price. However the hood would def be a turn off to a potential buyer. Fix that and your good to go. The coolant i wouldn't bother with unless it was causing problems, but i would probably suggest to the buyer that it probably needs to be done. BTW good luck on selling it hope you get a fair price.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fbodieslive
LMAO Im about to be a smartass, but my first order of business on selling my car would be to wash the nasty thing LOL. Im JK man. Most of that stuff isnt really stuff that someone would nit pick and try to get you to come off the price. However the hood would def be a turn off to a potential buyer. Fix that and your good to go. The coolant i wouldn't bother with unless it was causing problems, but i would probably suggest to the buyer that it probably needs to be done. BTW good luck on selling it hope you get a fair price.
Lol, I keep her clean. My daughter is never in it, and I clean it out after my wife uses it. I also give her regular baths. It was just a shoddy paint job on an aftermarket hood before I bought the car, and the paint started bubbling shortly after I bought it.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

I'm glad I make the car decisions in my house.
She claims that, even though the GTO is hers, that she didn't really want it, and I made her sell her Sebring with that awful 2.7l. So the truck is going to be exactly what she wants. A Ram, and that's that. The only decision I was able to make was that it's going to be a diesel.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:35 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

She claims that, even though the GTO is hers, that she didn't really want it, and I made her sell her Sebring with that awful 2.7l. So the truck is going to be exactly what she wants. A Ram, and that's that. The only decision I was able to make was that it's going to be a diesel.
I'm pretty lucky, my wife is easy to please when it comes to cars. I'm actually planning to steal her daily driver as my new winter car soon, and buy her something else. Then I'll have four cars and she'll still have one. Poor girl. Well not really, I mean she's got enough clothes to fully supply the greater Chicagoland area, while I've got about 3 shirts. Different priorities.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I'm pretty lucky, my wife is easy to please when it comes to cars. I'm actually planning to steal her daily driver as my new winter car soon, and buy her something else. Then I'll have four cars and she'll still have one. Poor girl. Well not really, I mean she's got enough clothes to fully supply the greater Chicagoland area, while I've got about 3 shirts. Different priorities.
Sounds like my house Cept I buy most of her clothes out of guilt for buying go fast parts.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:00 AM

The apperance of the vehicle will sway people to buy it more that the maintenance, well thats at least how it works with all the rich people that live near me.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:18 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're going to buy another vehicle to drive other than the GTO anyway, why not just keep the Firebird? I'd rather "beat"/DD on a T/A than a Honda CVCC or something...
Old 10-01-2011, 07:56 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

op good luck with the sale man,you will need it going into winter,and with the market flooded with highly modded f bods that are in mint shape going for imo dirt cheap,it is really hard to get a good buck for the run of the mill f body, look in the cars for sale,or on craigslist, there are cars going for sale for way less then the mods that are in it alone, your best bet, wait untill spring/tax return time fix the hood ,detail the crap out of it ,and put it up for sale in your area. i always made sure before i sold a car that it had new tires,fresh tune up,and the ac worked. i would also make sure it rides good, i know if i went to look at a car and on a test drive every lil bump in the road felt like i was hitting a huge pothole i would for sure use that to my advantage in my offer.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not trying to be a dick or pick your car apart in anyway, but that is what someone will do when they come to look at it,the hood will make someone look at it like it needs paint,int parts might give off that in needs more work then it does,and if the ride is god awful they will try and do nothing but low ball you to death.also if the rear tires are bald it makes someone think that it was just beat to hell,a trip to a bone yard and a lil bit of time would fix all your issues. sorry man i have said it over and over the past few years, these times are great for a buyer and sucks for a seller. you do have some good things going ,it is a ta,has a ws6 hood and is white
Old 10-01-2011, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by myk
If you're going to buy another vehicle to drive other than the GTO anyway, why not just keep the Firebird? I'd rather "beat"/DD on a T/A than a Honda CVCC or something...
Well, that was the plan originally, when I was going to be deployed for nine months, making ~$90 a day per diem. We were going to buy a truck in cash, and I was going to spend some money on the TA also. But that fell through, and I was only gone for two months. So now, the TA is going to be the down payment on the truck, and I'd rather sell it than trade it in. I would love to keep both, but that's not in the cards right now. The beater is going to be about $2k-$4k, after I get back from my next deployment, so not really enough for another LS1 TA/Camaro.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
op good luck with the sale man,you will need it going into winter,and with the market flooded with highly modded f bods that are in mint shape going for imo dirt cheap,it is really hard to get a good buck for the run of the mill f body, look in the cars for sale,or on craigslist, there are cars going for sale for way less then the mods that are in it alone, your best bet, wait untill spring/tax return time fix the hood ,detail the crap out of it ,and put it up for sale in your area. i always made sure before i sold a car that it had new tires,fresh tune up,and the ac worked. i would also make sure it rides good, i know if i went to look at a car and on a test drive every lil bump in the road felt like i was hitting a huge pothole i would for sure use that to my advantage in my offer.
Thanks. I'm hoping that being in central Florida, that the winter won't effect the sale too much. That is a really good idea though, waiting until tax time- thank you. AC works great in the car, mechanically it's extremely sound. Tires are about 200 miles old as of right now, and I just gave it a tune-up before I deployed a couple months ago. The ride is my biggest complaint with my car, since the PO lowered it, but left the stock shock on it.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
not trying to be a dick or pick your car apart in anyway, but that is what someone will do when they come to look at it,the hood will make someone look at it like it needs paint,int parts might give off that in needs more work then it does,and if the ride is god awful they will try and do nothing but low ball you to death.also if the rear tires are bald it makes someone think that it was just beat to hell,a trip to a bone yard and a lil bit of time would fix all your issues. sorry man i have said it over and over the past few years, these times are great for a buyer and sucks for a seller. you do have some good things going ,it is a ta,has a ws6 hood and is white
Don't worry, you don't sound like a dick. That's why I posted this on here. I want honest opinions so I can make sure I'm prepared when I sell her. From everything you guys have posted on here, I'm going to have the hood repainted, replace the crash pad and the side skirt. I'm going to have to call around to see what the seat belts go for also. Tire are brand new, with like 100 or so miles on them. It'll be up for sale in about six months, so hopefully that will give me time to address everything that I can. And it looks like I'm starting with the hood.