Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took off by mistake, AC Condenser

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 07:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Took off by mistake, AC Condenser

I'm planning to do a cam swap soon, so i took the radiator off and the ac condenser as well I heard that air coming out with a little bit of yellowish oil, well Anybody know how much is to get that thing refilled???
Old 09-30-2011, 08:07 AM
Internet Mechanic

Aww man that sucks. i will tell you back in the day... like 2001 I did that with my first car. Thank god I was planning on removing the A/C anyways but it was just too funny.

Take it to a certified place as since the seal has been broken, they may need to re seal before re pressurizing.

I would normally quote USA rates but looks like your vehicles is in Germany?? So I would just call around.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here in the US you can go to any parts store or better yet Wal-mart and buy what you need to refill it. I bought a kit at the beginning of this summer that had 3 cans of refrigerant with oil mixed in a can tap with gage and a how to DVD for $40, it was a awsome deal because that much refrigerant and oil would cost $45.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to take the car to someone (shop) that can pull a vacuum on the system with a vacuum pump then refill it. Once you open the system to the atmosphere it must be vacuumed down to remove the moisture from the system before you charge it otherwise you will have problems with it freezing up.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 68 SS
You need to take the car to someone (shop) that can pull a vacuum on the system with a vacuum pump then refill it. Once you open the system to the atmosphere it must be vacuumed down to remove the moisture from the system before you charge it otherwise you will have problems with it freezing up.
x2 you have to do this.

If your looking for a vacuum pump check harbor freight tools. You can get one on sale usually.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^Thanks a lot guys!
Old 10-01-2011, 04:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seal off your remaining AC system. The accumulator has a desiccant bag in it that will absorb atmospheric moisture, and it can go bad in as little as a day if you live someplace humid. If yours has been exposed for more than a day or two, I suggest you replace it. They're not expensive (I think the one for my car was $50). Add two ounces of PAG oil directly to the accumulator before you re-install it, then seal the system up and take it to have it vacuumed out and recharged. The low side port will get replaced with the accumulator, but I also suggest you take the hi-side line with you to the auto parts store. They'll replace the schrader valve for like $5. It's really cheap, and should be done. Those ports are common leak points and are easily damaged... it's so cheap to replace you should have it done. The NAPA guys will swap it out for you using a special tool.

Last edited by Bluestreak; 10-01-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Now I tried to unbolt the balancer bolt off but it's too hard, I put my car on 4th gear and put the e brake but it won't unbolt
Old 10-03-2011, 08:12 AM
Internet Mechanic

Balance bolt need either a GOOD impact gun or a really good 1/2 breaker bar, the foot pounds needed are generally well over 150. I do not have the exact number in my head but when I did mine, it was not easy.