What mods should I get?!? anyone help lol
Old 10-04-2011, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are u lookin to do with it?
Old 10-04-2011, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

My first mod I bought for my T/A was SLP Whisper Lid but I believe Firehawks came with those already (correct me if im wrong, my dads has one but previous owner could of put it on).

After whisper lid I bought Catback exhaust, unless you have the money to go with headers back. I do not, so I got SLP Loudmouths, but they will go bye bye if i ever do get headers.

Oh, I forgot. The first mod should be if the previous owner hasn't done so yet is a Skip Shift Eliminator. If you have driven it enough yet you will notice that when you go to throw it into second at high rpms and blocks off second and requires you to go into fourth. If the light comes on in the corner of the gauge cluster and your not having this problem then the eliminator has already been installed.

Lol I was dragracing my dad in my old 2000 v6 at open run night at the strip and i whipped his butt by a whole 2 seconds because he went from 1st into 4th and totally missed 2nd and 3rd, SOO many people were scratching their heads.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:58 PM

Pretty much, im looking to keep the car a street car seeing that it is my only means of transportation, and I though of putting a thunder racing cam in it, but my gas mileage already sucks lol im looking for basic bolt-ons and **** like that.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:27 PM
Launching!

welcome to the site! Read through this thread and you should have alot of your questions answered...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...anna-fast.html
Old 10-06-2011, 06:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by firehawk1999
Pretty much, im looking to keep the car a street car seeing that it is my only means of transportation, and I though of putting a thunder racing cam in it, but my gas mileage already sucks lol im looking for basic bolt-ons and **** like that.
Your running Premium Right?
Old 10-06-2011, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

See my fquick for my mods and join www.firehawk.org too
Old 10-06-2011, 07:50 AM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Basic bolt ons would be a lid, long tubes, catted or off road Y, cat-back, pulley, and an LS6 intake, since the 99 intake is restrictive.

Lid - There is no best. Buy whatever lid you can get the best deal on.

Pulley - This will help the car go through the RPM's a little more quickly. Make sure you get the belts at the same time.

LT's - Get stainless or at least coated headers if it is your DD.

Y pipe depends on how your states emissions program works, and if you care or not, haha. I have always used an off road Y.

All of this will set you up to be ready for a cam install in the future.

While you are at it, pull the EGR/AIR nonsense out to save some weight and clean up the engine bay a bit.

If you dont have a problem with snow/ice where you live, run some drag radials to hel with traction. Nitto is the best DR for a DD, but I usually run Mickey Thompson DR's.

You never specified if it was a 6 speed or auto, but if it is an auto, do a ton of reading about torque converters.

I had a 99 Firehawk Formula. The 99-01 cars all had the same lid as the factory cars, for an advertised 327hp. The 01 cars had an improved catback for an advertised 335hp. The 02' was the only year the Firehawks had the Blackwing lid as an option. (345hp option)

Good luck and have fun. This was all typed at 6:00am, so if I missed anything, sorry.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:59 PM

well my car stock has the SLP lid and loudmouth. I dunno if the headers are stock or from SLP does anybody know that information? If not, I guess headers will be the first mod.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:26 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The 99 Firehawks had the same air lid as any other car factory LS1 car. No car was ever sent from the factory with anything but the stock lid with the sound baffle, or the Blackwing lid. Loudmouth would never have passed any emissions standard for factory cars, so it was also not included "stock". If it doesn't have anything other than regular manifolds, than you have headers.

Firehawks especially in 99, were basically a hood, wheels, suspension, decals, Dual Dual exhaust, and plaques. Their were other options, but those dont matter, because they were mickey mouse crap like floormats, and car covers. They didn't get anything else to differentiate themselves from other LS1 cars mechanically until 01, when the 335hp package was introduced. They never had airlids, headers, gears, superchargers, or any other mythical bullshit I have heard over the years about them. They were just better looking Trans Am's.

Since you already have the airlid, and cat-back, and possibly headers, follow the rest of what I told you to get you where you want to be. Good luck and have fun.

Quick Reply: 1999 Firehawk all stock (help)