Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shopping advice - things to look for

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shopping advice - things to look for

I currently have a 2000 3.8L Firebird, and I'm considering an upgrade to a Z28 or SS or TA or WS6.

I'm pretty well aware of issues on the V6 cars having shopped for and bought 3 of them so far. I'm looking for advice on things to look for on the V8 cars. My current car I think was beat on a little by the previous owner, needs a diff rebuild after 65K miles. So any clues particularly on how to tell if someone has been nice to the V8 car?

Im up in the CT area if anyone has one for sale, looking for < 50K miles if possible.

Any pointers are appreciated.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:10 AM
TECH Regular

just the basics really...listen to the shifts if its an automatic, listen for a howling rear end, make sure the gears dont grind if its an manual, these engines can really take beatings for PLENTY of miles...but the clutch, tranny, and rear go out before the engine.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pretty much what he said ^. id also check the smell/color of the oil, auto tranny shifts and the general status of the car can tell you a HUGE hint of how the owner is treating it for instance a car with shitty interior and dents all over the body will be clearly ignored even if it felt and performed good and so on....good luck with the hunt!
Old 10-17-2011, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the info, thats pretty much the same set of things I'd be looking at on a sixer. I guess the main real difference is the engine. I trust you that its a good tough engine, I've had experience with chevy small blocks before and they've been nothing but warriors. When its on an F-body does it have the same rusty oil pan issues as the V6 does? Rear main seal problems? Anything like that to check for would be helpful.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

These engines are generally pretty tough. Change all the fluids and looks for anything odd while changing. You might also ask for maintanence records(oil changes, fluid changes). I keep all mine so if anyone asks I have all the details. The stock rear end is a week point in these cars so if it's been beat on it might need replaced or rebuilt. There is a ton of aftermarket options on this so don't worry. I have an M6 and it takes alot of abuse while still running factory clutch also. I just makes sure I don't slip gears and you should be fine for awhile. Also the general apperance of a car can give you clues also.

GOod luck!!!