New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Camaro vs LS1 Corvette

Old 10-18-2011, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Camaro vs LS1 Corvette

Okay, I'll start off with I know this topic has probably been covered a billion times on here, and I've read through some of people opinions, facts, etc already. The next thing, I'm rather new to LS1s and don't know a lot about them, and haven't yet owned one. I had a 351 swapped 90 Mustang that I sold and would now like to get into an LS1. BUT HERE IS MY QUESTION. I am looking at a few vehicles, such as '99 FRC Corvette 55k miles manual, '02 Camaro SS 42k miles auto, and some others like it. I like Corvettes a little better, but not sure if it's really worth it to spend the extra money with little difference in the drive train. So I ask YOU GUYS to help me choose what I would like to get. Let me know the facts you know or opinions on the different vehicles, or possibly recommendations on something different. Advantages/disadvantages. I would also like your opinions on auto/manual choice. I would like a manual, but could easily live with an auto.

Anyhow, please let me know anything that could help me search and in the end my purchase! Anything and everything is appreciated! Thanks!!

Jake
Old 10-18-2011, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Even though the Corvette has the same powertrain, it feels like a completely different car. The simplest way I can put is that the Corvette feels like a true sports car, much tighter, precise and agile. A Camaro or Trans Am just feels a lot more raw, they feel more like a real muscle car. Performance wise, stock for stock, the edge goes to the Corvette obviously. But the F-Body's are really not far behind at all, and when you start modding them, they even out even more.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Even though the Corvette has the same powertrain, it feels like a completely different car. The simplest way I can put is that the Corvette feels like a true sports car, much tighter, precise and agile. A Camaro or Trans Am just feels a lot more raw, they feel more like a real muscle car. Performance wise, stock for stock, the edge goes to the Corvette obviously. But the F-Body's are really not far behind at all, and when you start modding them, they even out even more.
Thank you for your input TransAm. Seems like most people seem to agree with you on the general handling on the two cars, as that's what I got when reading some of people opinions on the two cars.. I'm sitting here watching the thread like a hawk, eager to read responses, and ask questions. Lol..

What are you driving right now, TransAm, and how do you like it?
Old 10-18-2011, 09:50 PM
10 Second Club

Vette will always be the better choice. Power is equal. Vette is lighter. And basically what was said already, the overall drive experience is completely different. Again vette is the better choice. So all in all buy the camaro and call it day
Old 10-18-2011, 10:00 PM
11 Second Club

Corvette for long trips would be better. I just like the feeling of the Trans Am and Camaro.. Seems like its a monster. Better way to say it would just be like a Bad *** muscle car. Corvettes get looks but are more of a sleek sexy car to me. If I hear a Ws6 from 2 streets away and a Corvette that sounds the same, the ws6 would seem more natural if you get what im saying.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sladester2
Corvette for long trips would be better. I just like the feeling of the Trans Am and Camaro.. Seems like its a monster. Better way to say it would just be like a Bad *** muscle car. Corvettes get looks but are more of a sleek sexy car to me. If I hear a Ws6 from 2 streets away and a Corvette that sounds the same, the ws6 would seem more natural if you get what im saying.
Yes, I definitely understand what you're saying as far as sound. As far as long trips go, I didn't even think about that. The car I buy will probably see a few long trips in my ownership(Killeen, TX to Council Bluffs, IA. About 800 miles and 12 hours).
Old 10-18-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

depends on what you want the car for.

Keep in mind, if its gonna be a drag oriented car, the Vette has an IRS, and stock anyway, thinner sidewall tires. So for a 1/4 car, the f-body platform is gonna be a little more ready to go, out of the box anyway.

Same situation when we're talking about transmission choices. The Auto is going to be a little more consistent at the strip. Thats not to say a manual can't do amazing things, but just different paths to get to your goal. I had an A4 from the factory and just recently did the swap. My 3500RPM stalled auto was a beast, incredibly fun to drive and would sneak up on a lot of people. But the 4l60e just doesn't have the power handling that a t56 has (before getting into upgrades) and i was ready for a new route. I don't regret the swap one bit.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Corvette's are a pain in the ****** *** to work on..9.5 hours to change a clutch..fck that.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by RedRallyeZ
depends on what you want the car for.

Keep in mind, if its gonna be a drag oriented car, the Vette has an IRS, and stock anyway, thinner sidewall tires. So for a 1/4 car, the f-body platform is gonna be a little more ready to go, out of the box anyway.
All in all, it will probably be cruised most of the time, at first anyways. I'm sure I'll get to modding it eventually. It may see a track a couple times, but I'm sure not much, and it may get some street action every now and again.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:49 PM
Teching In

I have owned both and i just like the way a ws6 drives and looks. I can't really explain it. In my corvette I felt kinda weird lol but that is my opinion. I'm sure you would be happy with either way you went.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:25 AM

And I guess another question for everyone. How do the LS1s like superchargers? Because I think I'd eventually like to put a centrifual on it.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It was said in another thread and I'll repeat it. If you get the Corvette, you'll get the Corvette Tax. Things will be inexplicably more expensive, and they'll do it just because of the word Corvette on it.

If you do Bolt on's to both cars, it's not that bad, but look at fab'd exhaust systems for both. You can see how more expensive the Vettes are.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:50 AM
Staging Lane

Camaro or ta be the way to go vettes are alot harder to work on and most ppl exspect a fast vette but get shocked with a fast f body
Old 10-19-2011, 04:08 AM
Launching!

Ive raced an auto vette in my six speed camaro with just a cat back and we were dead nuts even from a roll if that tells you anything. And keep in mind, F-bodies have back seats, if you plan on taking more than one person anywhere, they may be a better choice.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if you can afford it and can DD a vette where you live id get it.

for racing id get an fbody though vettes are just as capable thats just what id go with.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

G-body..you have this thing called Engine Bay room..
Old 10-19-2011, 12:03 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Camaro all day, Corvette's are overrated and are for old people but I still wouldn't mind a Z06 lol.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

engine bay room is overrated...I like having to pull my intake just to get the last bolt out of a coilpack...or pulling coilpacks just to change plugs....hahahahaha..but seriously i love my T/A
Old 10-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Launching!

Buy both and have the best of both worlds!
Old 10-19-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuy91
Thank you for your input TransAm. Seems like most people seem to agree with you on the general handling on the two cars, as that's what I got when reading some of people opinions on the two cars.. I'm sitting here watching the thread like a hawk, eager to read responses, and ask questions. Lol..

What are you driving right now, TransAm, and how do you like it?
I like my Camaro pretty good (below in my sig pic), I've had it for about 6 almost 7 months now and it's been my daily driver ever since. Has 70k miles on it as it sits and the only issue I have had with it is a catalytic converter going bad, and the solution to fixing that problem was fairly inexpensive.

F-Body's are so cheap to buy initially, and the aftermarket for them is huge and relatively cheap. If something breaks or needs replacing, you can just resort to the aftermarket and replace it with something better for the same price or cheaper than an OEM part. Corvette's are going to be much more expensive all around, but are considered a step-up from F-Body's by most.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS1 Camaro vs LS1 Corvette