Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 09:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Pump

Hey, guys. My Service Engine Soon light came on last week and I figured it was time to change the oil. I use Mobile 1, and figured I could go past the typical 3000 mile limit. After the change the light stayed on so I ran it up to AutoZone and had them check it. They guy said it was the air pump and the dealer was the only one that could fix it.

Has anyone had the same issue?
Old 10-26-2011, 09:31 AM
Teching In

When you start the car do you hear the air pump kick on for the forst 20-30 seconds? it sounds like a whistling noise by the front drivers headlight... If not then your pump is probably shot.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Teching In

There are a number of codes that the air pump system can throw. I fixed one of them myself; the code was that one of the cats wasn't getting any air. This is commonly caused by carbon fouling a one-way valve and can be easily fixed with a wrench and some spray carbuerator cleaner.

You should ask for the exact code and then google it, if it's that a catalytic converter isn't getting air, you can fix it yourself as I did.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if its the air pump you dont need to do anything. when i did my headers i cut out the vaccum lines for the air pump but left the pump. i turn it on and the pump kicks on for like 30 sec but its not important at all. and this air pump is only on during a minute or so after startup after that it cuts off. btw service engine soon light comes on for emmision related codes