Cut out madness - LS1TECH

Log In 


New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cut out madness

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-05-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
11 Second Club
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
LASTOFTHEBREED02T/A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 881
Default Cut out madness

Got my cutout installed, sound is so sick, I may never close it... Huge difference made when bypassing my garbage 80 series flowmstrs
LASTOFTHEBREED02T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
ULTIMATEORANGESS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: eatontown,nj
Posts: 10,868
Default

what kind did you get?
ULTIMATEORANGESS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
TECH Addict
iTrader: (6)
 
bad_408_vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Queens, NYC
Posts: 2,987
Default

you know , you are a dick for not posting a clip so we can all hear...


...hahah jk, but i still wana hear!
bad_408_vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
12 Second Club
iTrader: (1)
 
1994_383_Z28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oviedo, Florida
Posts: 237
Default

Cutouts are truly amazing. A buddy of mine replaced his flowmasters with a stock ws6 catback, and a cutout. He can be stealth when he wants, and sound fantastic at the flip of a switch. After seeing his, I would NEVER replace a stock exhaust when you can just install a cutout a lot cheaper.
1994_383_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:05 PM   #5
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
ULTIMATEORANGESS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: eatontown,nj
Posts: 10,868
Default

im afraid of getting pulled over because id want mine open all the time.
ULTIMATEORANGESS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:18 AM   #6
TECH Resident
iTrader: (43)
 
RONIN LSX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 951
Default

I was going to go with dumps (before the axle), but since I get all kinds of comment on my exhaust (I was told by the seller it's a Flow Bastard) I decided to keep it and get dual 4" cut outs with the remote
RONIN LSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:36 AM   #7
On The Tree
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 164
Default

cutouts are amazing!
hotjohnnyls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:44 AM   #8
TECH Regular
 
need2speed94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 461
Default

I can't wait to get my single 3" e cutout on my stock cat back. Man the stock cat back really tames the LS1 down. You should get a video up of what it sounds like open man! I'd appreciate it.
need2speed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:58 AM   #9
LS1Tech Administrator
iTrader: (3)
 
RPM WS6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Lincolnwood, IL Member: #317
Posts: 21,930
Default

Flowmaster 80 series sounds much better than a cutout IMO. But the cutout will certainly flow better and is great for the track.

The stock catback is too quiet, not sure why anyone would purposely choose their only options to be the flat note of a stock catback or the excessive volume of a cutout (especially if you don't have cats)....talk about extremes. Makes sense if you're on a budget though. But to each his own.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 11-06-2011 at 04:05 AM.
RPM WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:59 AM   #10
Launching!
iTrader: (1)
 
Maroboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: nor-cal
Posts: 203
Default

Love mine. It sounds amazing. And just by closing the it. Gets very quiet
Only close it when cops around. Or I go to a high gear just in case lol.
Maroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:14 AM   #11
TECH Regular
 
need2speed94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroboy View Post
Love mine. It sounds amazing. And just by closing the it. Gets very quiet
Only close it when cops around. Or I go to a high gear just in case lol.
I feel ya on that haha... either a higher gear or neutral until those pigs are far enough away lol.
need2speed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #12
TECH Resident
iTrader: (8)
 
camaroboy14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: spangdahlem/bruch germany
Posts: 882
Default

Man I wish I had gotten electric cut outs
camaroboy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #13
TECH Regular
 
need2speed94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroboy14 View Post
Man I wish I had gotten electric cut outs
Oh you got manual ones? Still very functional... but yea electronic ones save a hassle hah. I say you save up for them man! Most definitely worth it! And they aren't That expensive, but if you can't afford 2, 1 is honestly just as good. Hope you get one!
need2speed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #14
TECH Resident
iTrader: (8)
 
camaroboy14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: spangdahlem/bruch germany
Posts: 882
Default

Yeah I would get them
camaroboy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:19 PM   #15
12 Second Club
iTrader: (1)
 
1994_383_Z28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oviedo, Florida
Posts: 237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM WS6 View Post
Flowmaster 80 series sounds much better than a cutout IMO. But the cutout will certainly flow better and is great for the track.

The stock catback is too quiet, not sure why anyone would purposely choose their only options to be the flat note of a stock catback or the excessive volume of a cutout (especially if you don't have cats)....talk about extremes. Makes sense if you're on a budget though. But to each his own.
To each his own is right.

My buddy has LTs, cat delete, full 3in piping to the stock muffler,with an e-cutout on the I-pipe. It sounds truly amazing. And you can choose to open the cutout slightly to control the volume. I would trade in a heartbeat.
1994_383_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #16
LS1Tech Administrator
iTrader: (3)
 
RPM WS6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Lincolnwood, IL Member: #317
Posts: 21,930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994_383_Z28 View Post
To each his own is right.

My buddy has LTs, cat delete, full 3in piping to the stock muffler,with an e-cutout on the I-pipe. It sounds truly amazing. And you can choose to open the cutout slightly to control the volume. I would trade in a heartbeat.


There are several catback/muffer choices that sound much better, with catless true duals being by far the best. The stock muffler sounds flat and boring in comparasion, even with a cat delete.

An un-catted, un-muffled Y-pipe setup just doesn't sound nice at anything but idle, IMO. Only way to make that better is to put dual cutouts before the Y-merge, but then that's a lot of volume for street driving.
RPM WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #17
TECH Regular
 
need2speed94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM WS6 View Post


There are several catback/muffer choices that sound much better, with catless true duals being by far the best. The stock muffler sounds flat and boring in comparasion, even with a cat delete.

An un-catted, un-muffled Y-pipe setup just doesn't sound nice at anything but idle, IMO. Only way to make that better is to put dual cutouts before the Y-merge, but then that's a lot of volume for street driving.
I guess its all opinion really... Honestly, I was satisfied with stock mani's, stock open y pipe, sounds great. Not Too loud, definitely not quiet. But I'd much rather have it have some rasp, which not a lot of people want. I ideally want LT's into an O/R y with a bullet muffler dumped right after the y. Or true duals with an X pipe, then dumped before the axle.
need2speed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #18
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (4)
 
xX-Z28-Xx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: I live in the GREAT state of IA
Posts: 696
Default

Do you guys put your cutouts before the cats on a catted y pipe?
xX-Z28-Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #19
TECH Regular
 
need2speed94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX-Z28-Xx View Post
Do you guys put your cutouts before the cats on a catted y pipe?
Mine is going on the i-pipe right before the rear axle. The extension where the cutout comes out of the pipe will be on the passenger side. I've heard that 2 cutouts before the cats have clearance issues.. which I have no trouble believing after seeing how tight it is under there.
need2speed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #20
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (4)
 
xX-Z28-Xx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: I live in the GREAT state of IA
Posts: 696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by need2speed94 View Post
Mine is going on the i-pipe right before the rear axle. The extension where the cutout comes out of the pipe will be on the passenger side. I've heard that 2 cutouts before the cats have clearance issues.. which I have no trouble believing after seeing how tight it is under there.
Got any pics?
xX-Z28-Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2007 Monte Carlo SS - LS4 2006 Silver Monte SS Vehicle Classifieds 1 06-30-2015 07:46 PM
Does anyone know how to bypass the keychip security on a 98 camaro? ReaperCrewZ28 General LSX Automobile Discussion 9 04-12-2015 03:04 PM
heads vs heads & cam, Labor daniel28391 Generation III Internal Engine 20 03-22-2015 03:04 PM
Car was lightly rearened, question on FL insurance _JB_ Florida Members 8 01-21-2015 07:46 AM
how to flush power steering system of my 2000 LS1 camaro? Abdullah General Maintenance & Repairs 59 04-19-2014 12:08 AM


Tags
3600, amp, car, cut, cutout, cuts, front, ls1, ls1tech, madness, pipe, power, real, single, tech, watts, wheels

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 AM.