Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 mod question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 07:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 mod question.

Hi guys I'm new on here. Introduced my self in the newbie section as rock crawler from mn.
Any way I bought a 02 ls1 out if a vette with 22k miles. I'm outing it in a rock crawler. I would like to get as much out of this motor as possible but still have good driveability. Here's the miss thus far.
Ported and polished heads
7.4 comp push rods
221/221 lunati cam

Under drive crank pulley.
Dual gold valve springs.
Factory vette intake

Question where do I go from here intake? Injectors? Tb?

Would like to have miss done prior to tuning the ecu
Thanks in advance.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:35 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question, with a rock crawler, I assume this is for street use as well? Aside when you take it up a trail. Reason why I ask is that motor should be more then enough grunt for the trail and some mods push the power band up high and I do not expect you to be operating this thing @ 5k rpms on a hill.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Question, with a rock crawler, I assume this is for street use as well? Aside when you take it up a trail. Reason why I ask is that motor should be more then enough grunt for the trail and some mods push the power band up high and I do not expect you to be operating this thing @ 5k rpms on a hill.
No street use. Look at the pic in my thread in the intro section.
Look at it this eat. I love the skinny peddal. And with gearing its up in rpm's all the time. I run doubled up transfer cases which give me a 4:1 gearing. Along with 5:38's in the axles. With that said I can compensate in the lower speeds and r's. But when I stand on it I want it to roast my 43" tires.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:35 AM
Teching In

I'm also looking for a rear sump camaro oil pan.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Internet Mechanic

This is what I would do.

LS6 intake should be more then fine and if you can Speed Density Tune it since driveability (street) / emissions are not even a needed consideration and with cranky cams the engine will run way better. Also all you need to do is run a cone K&N Filter off the TB or maybe an elbow. A hand polish of the T/B should be more then fine. IF you opt for a 90+ MM Fast intake or something, then get a larger TB.

If your making 400 RWHP or more in a F body, most people tend to bump the injectors depending on the year of the car, 2002 had the highest rating for a Fbody.

Cam kits are out there and pushrods generally are measured once the cam is in and then ordered as with LS1's do not have adjustible rockers. I would though recommend getting the stocker rockers a trunion bearing upgrade. No need for anything else as lighter is better. I do not know the exact rpms you may see but anything with a strong mid range power would probably suit you well.

Putting light weight retainers such as Titanium (ti) and sodium filled valves are a good thing.

As far as crank pulley, if your not running that many accessories you may not need a U/D pully. I do know the SLP unit has a higher wall which helps keep the belt from throwing, but I would look for one that is better for harmonics if you insist on swapping it out from the stocker.

Add ARP head studs to your list and maybe a compression bump when the heads get worked over.

Thats how I would approach it and knowing it will get S/D tuned you will have really good driveability compared to a not S/D car with a similar cam in MOST cases.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:00 AM
Teching In

First off thanks for the quick response and info.
As for the Rockers they have been upgraded I forgot to post that.
Are you saying I wont like the cam that's in it?
This motor was initially being built for drifting.
Newbie question is this SD tuning done by a site sponsor?
Old 11-15-2011, 10:28 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by mnrockbottom
First off thanks for the quick response and info.
As for the Rockers they have been upgraded I forgot to post that.
Are you saying I wont like the cam that's in it?
This motor was initially being built for drifting.
Newbie question is this SD tuning done by a site sponsor?
Cam's are picked due to the requirements on the car, anything bigger then stock is a good thing and as you mentioned the RPM's are going to be up there you can look at many options. I personally would not go over anything in 23x/23x range as with LS1's once you get to a bigger cam, the top end tends to be insane and bottom end tends to be a marshmellow. BUT maybe for you that would work but think of it like a on/off switch.

Mild to Wild very quick.

S/D could be done via sponsor, but I would reach out. Check out the PCM section.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Your the man..... I'm gonna run a 2200 stall so that should help keep it in the wild side.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:26 AM
Teching In

So turns out the front sump gto oil pan won't work in my application. My question is when I put the rear sump camaro pan on will I also need to swap windage trays? I'm sure ill know when I take it off, but would rather know before hand if I need more parts. Thanks.