New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do cutoff exhausts cause false knock?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do cutoff exhausts cause false knock?

I have my exhaust cutoff just below the engine bay until it stops raining, I can definitely feel the engine pulling timing (i know what my engine sounds like with less timing) at part throttle accelerating and i now have both knock sensor codes.

I recently had the intake off and inspected both knock sensors with no rust or water and made sure the wire was installed right.

Oh btw I'm talking about my truck 4.8
Old 11-20-2011, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

so after getting a full exhaust on it dumping well behind the cab both knock sensor codes are still there after about a 2 hour drive so i go buy some new sensors.

I have now installed both sensors and inspected the wire all looks good and still it's pulling timing!? do i need to reset the codes for the change to happen?only way i have of do that is unhooking the battery
Old 11-21-2011, 06:56 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about you scan the computer when driving and seeing if there is Knock Retard....
Old 11-21-2011, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Now why would i need to do that when i obviously know that it is, The knock sensor low input codes automatically pull timing at all rpm and load it's just a question of how much in my particular case.

Now you may ask how would i know if it's pulling timing without any tuning software to tell me so, Well i have drove this truck with stock torque management turned on with an instant (firm) shifting transmission and let me tell you i had a huge dead spot of reduced timing that was very very obvious, torque management pulls timing between shifts, loses power and sounds twice as loud through the exhaust.

Now that loud slapping exhaust note and reduced power is there all the time this is obviously because of knock codes.

Now apart from swapping sensors, checking wires for damage and resetting the codes 3 times in the last couple days i am running out of things to fix?!

Quick Reply: Do cutoff exhausts cause false knock?