Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Camaro SS Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1998 Camaro SS Exhaust

Hey guys I just picked up a BEAUTY 1998 SS with only 16K on it. The car is absolutely beautiful and putting out LOTS of power. I was looking underneath the car and Im blown away at the exhaust that was stock on these things. The left bank having a flat small pipe like that? My question is will the single piped cat backs flow better than whats on them stock? Also was the 98's different from the 99's and up?

Thanks

Last edited by Hulkamania; 12-03-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah the Ypipes on all are flat like that i believe.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

Well how much power can you expect to open up by putting a cat back on it?
Old 12-03-2011, 07:22 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

An aftermarket catback will not replace the flat section of the Y-pipe. You can buy replacement Y-pipes if you want, but there is no real power to be gained by doing that alone.

An aftermarket catback will probably be worth about 7-13rwhp. Add an aftermarket air lid for an additional 7-13rwhp gain.

Catbacks are interchangeable between '98 to '02 cars. The Y-pipe, cats and mainfolds are different on the '98-'99 cars, vs. the '00+ cars.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Staging Lane

Ok I didnt even realize that was part of the Y pipe on the car, makes sense though. This car is putting down over 400 hp with stock everything. Are the mufflers bolt on on the 98 cars? I havent had a chance to crawl underneath. I have a factory 94 muffler with the square tips that would look better than the single outlet. Wondering if it would bolt onto the factory exhaust?
Old 12-03-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Hulkamania
This car is putting down over 400 hp with stock everything.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yeaaa im gonna call bullshit on that one. maybe at the crank in your dreams.
stock ls1 will put 310rwhp on a good day. id like to see this dyno chart
Old 12-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

This is honestly why I get rather irritated with people on forums. Whether you believe what Im saying is irrelevant to the question I asked. I was simply asking about the exhaust system. The car is supercharged so the 400 hp isnt in my dreams but a reality. I was referring to the exhaust being stock, thus the question about the cat-back and y pipe. I had a 99 which was dualed out when I bought it so I never had experience with the 98-02 4th gen cars exhaust systems. Just am curious what kind of gains people are experiencing messing with the exhaust sytems on these cars.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

This is honestly why I get rather irritated with people on forums. Whether you believe what Im saying is irrelevant to the question I asked. I was simply asking about the exhaust system. The car is supercharged so the 400 hp isnt in my dreams but a reality. I was referring to the exhaust being stock, thus the question about the cat-back and y pipe. I had a 99 which was dualed out when I bought it so I never had experience with the 98-02 4th gen cars exhaust systems. Just am curious what kind of gains people are experiencing messing with the exhaust sytems on these cars.
You probably should have mentioned the super charger in the first place. That means NOT STOCK.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

Lol well for all the know it alls brother we ALL know a FACTORY LS1 is incapable of 400 hp I mean come on. Would have to be some sort of power adder to get to that mark. But your right I should have mentioned that I guess. I dont like to tell everybody whats under the hood lol. I was just simply referring to the exhaust system. I have an LT1 car and I know all about its exhaust, but the 98+ I never had any experience with them. I am just kinda shocked about the Y pipe on these cars. Its insane that kind of power the LS1 can put out with some dinky Y pipe like that under there.

On a side note I wasnt trying to be smart or cause any type of arguement, so I hope nobody took what I said personal about forums.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would recommend replacing the factory exhaust setup with a set of longtube headers, ory, and then any decent catback system. This alone will net some impressive gains on your supercharged setup over the factory junk.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

This car is putting down over 400 hp with stock everything.
this is why we all raised the bullshit flag. next time just say what you have. from the factory all stock no they dont make 400hp your right. but it takes very little to get there, and by little i mean a few bolts ons and a nice cam.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

btw the y pipe is flat on that side from the factory because it was engineered for ground clearance
Old 12-04-2011, 06:17 AM
TECH Addict

U can just by that section from SLP were it is no longer flat but the get the Full Power out of that Blower i would go w/ a Full Exhaust !
Old 12-04-2011, 09:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hulkamania, as Aaron mentioned, getting some longtubes on your car, preferably 1 7/8 primaries, with a free-flowing y-pipe and catback will really wake-up your supercharged engine after a good tune.

My '98 SS has only 24,600 miles on it and when I added longtubes, offroad Y, and hooker catback she put down 329/345 torque with a tune. I still have my factory, single 3" cannon exhaust sitting in my basement!

Trent
Old 12-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah thanks for the tip man. What sucks is the car already has been tuned the way it sits. I do have the dyno chart and what it put down with the stock LS1 intake, exhaust manifolds, and factory exhaust is just insane. I know that dyno numbers are not always perfect but nonetheless Im still VERY impressed. See I had a 99 that I put OBX headers on I know they were cheap as in price but as far as quality I was impressed. They were stainless and 1 3/4 primaries. They bolted right on with no problems, no clearance issues nothing I mean they were great. If I buy that SLP Y pipe do I have to get o2 sensor extensions?

Thanks guys
Old 12-04-2011, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would avoid most slp stuff, most people will tell you its overpriced as hell and not that good quality. for most any long tube header and y pipe combo you will need 02 extensions. get the bosch 13111's. most people will also recommend these to you, they come up as corvette o2's but they are already pre extended. for your exhaust do what you like best but ill throw in my advice.
i have the bbk setup comes with chrome ( i dont care how they look im not popping the hood saying look at my pretty engine parts) which burns off after a few miles and your left with a regular looking header. comes with a y pipe as well. kit was nicley priced and you cant beat the fitment and install IMO. slid right in didnt need to remove anything but the old manifolds. the ground clearance is better than stock too. just something to look into if you can settle for 1 3/4 primarys and 3" collectors.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Take a piece of string and wrap it around the smashed driver side y-pipe and then measure it. Do this with the passenger side of the y-pipe and you should see that they are the same diameter. However I did install the SLP Y-pipe and yes it is low to the ground but the exhaust note deepened slightly which I like.
I don't have longtube headers..just the factory exhaust manifolds and I put down 330 HP and 342 TQ SAE correct on a DYNOJET I can't tell you if the SLP Y-pipe added any HP but the exhaust does sound better with it.

Quick Reply: 1998 Camaro SS Exhaust