New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I take my ac belt of for a day?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 11:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can I take my ac belt of for a day?

I noticed my ac idler pulley is squealing but I dont have time to change it before work today is it ok to just take the belt off for a day or two before I can get to a parts store? I would think it would be fine but you never know with ls cars so many things are different... thanks
Old 12-12-2011, 12:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Yes, you can remove the A/C belt and leave it off for up to 7,895 days. After that, the car will explode.

Unless you plan to use the AC/Defogger, you don't need the A/C belt at all. You'll need to first remove the main belt to get at the A/C belt, but you probably already know that.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

no....its 8,000 days..........damm some people never read the manual
Old 12-12-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

U can leave it off for as long as u want but spin the A/C here and there !!!
Old 12-12-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok I knew it was kinda like common sense just wanted to double check thanks guys as always. oh and by the way I just did read the manual and its actually 9000 miles lol
Old 12-14-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Regular

i left mine off for a few weeks until i could finally fix the compressor (for the third time)
Old 12-14-2011, 05:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Just cut the belt off with snips for good. Then remove your ac and do your weight reduction
Old 12-14-2011, 06:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

no lol not gonna be a drag car. Knda like being able to put the ac on and take my kids where ever I want unlike the shitstangs I had before lol
Old 12-15-2011, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait....u really cant run with your AC belt off for longer than that lol
Old 12-17-2011, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hahaha, love all the jokes in this thread. No need to pick up the comics section of the paper today

A few serious questions though:

- Removing the a/c belt will affect the defogger? Even if running the defogger on heat?

- Does removing the a/c equip. under the hood affect running heat through the vents? (Summers I can stand, winters not so much!)

- Does anyone know where I can find a good write-up (preferably with pics) on how to remove the a/c equip. under the hood? I looked (thus how I came across this thread) but alas could not find one.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:54 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by nddragon01
A few serious questions though:
I hate giving serious answers, but if you insist....

- Removing the a/c belt will affect the defogger? Even if running the defogger on heat?
The defogger engages the A/C compressor (unless you disconnect it) just the same as if you turned the A/C on. This is to provide drier (less humid) air to the cabin to better defog the windows. If you remove the belt, and/or remove/disconnect the A/C compressor, you can still get air to pass through the defogger vent by setting the selector to defog, but the air won't be dried by the A/C system, so what comes out of the vent would be no different than using the floor heater setting. You can also still get cool air to come through the vents by setting the temp control to cool, although this will only work when it's cool outside, because obviously you no longer have the A/C compressor to actually cool the outside air if it's hot.

- Does removing the a/c equip. under the hood affect running heat through the vents? (Summers I can stand, winters not so much!)
Not at all. Heat will work the same as before, still being hot and still available to come through the floor, dash, or defogger vents based on whatever you set the selector to, just like before.

- Does anyone know where I can find a good write-up (preferably with pics) on how to remove the a/c equip. under the hood? I looked (thus how I came across this thread) but alas could not find one.
I just did a quick search on "A/C removal" and it brought up 36 different threads with that title. I didn't take the time to read every thread, but there were a couple that discussed complete HVAC syetem delete (although I don't think this is what you want to do, because you still want heat). Did you read through those threads and still not find the info you needed?

If you just want to remove the A/C only, it's really just a matter of following the lines from the compressor to see the other items that can be deleted (compressor, lines, condensor). Also, since the A/C runs on it's own belt, you don't have to worry about fitting the engine with a shorter belt once it's removed.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, I apologize for making you answer serious questions. Didn't mean to be such a Debbie Downer and ruin the joking nature of the thread Thanks for the answers though!

I had performed the same search (or something similar to "a/c removal"). I read a few of the posts and found some good info, just no photo walk-through. I'll make due with those. Thanks again!
Old 12-18-2011, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok let the jokes continue. Haha.

Quick Reply: Can I take my ac belt of for a day?