New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traction control?? What's the point?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction control?? What's the point?

When Should I press the button and turn it off? Should I just leave it alone? Thanks
Old 12-18-2011, 11:00 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My idea of traction control is my right foot. However, Americans are becoming worse and worse drivers that they need stuff like this (or are they worse drivers because of it? hmmm...)

No offense, but since you had to ask that question I think you should keep it turned on. It will help inexperienced or unfamiliar drivers keep out of trouble.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Only @ the track or u want to show off and do a nice burn out for someone but look out for the 5.0 first !!!!!!
Old 12-18-2011, 12:59 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

I never use it. Even in snow/rain, I've found that I'm usually much better at controlling throttle application on my own in many situations, sometimes the computer makes decisions that I just don't argee with.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

in bad weather i use it. otherwise i shut it off immediately.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

I can only think of one time T/c actually helped me... I was cruising and floored it going about 40mph in a turn and there was a patch of dirt. The T/c prob helped me from spinning out. Probably not but it's one of those things you like to have and if you didn't you'd be jealous of those who do.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:55 PM
Banned

I dont know that its there because of bad drivers. It definatly will make things worse if your trying to powerslide. I find it helpful in rainy weather. Traffic is usually a PITA and I find myself romping on it to get around people, usually in slow traffic and it keeps me from running it up to 80 mph spinning in the water.
I've used it with mixed success at the track. I never launched at a high rpm anyways
Old 12-18-2011, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

So your tires just spin more with it off, got it
Old 12-18-2011, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I keep it on 90% of the time, just because I forget about it, but when I'm about to race I have a routine, and I turn off my T/C and drop my Overdrive.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I turn it off when I'm doing a bit of "spirited driving", but other than that I just leave it on. I don't see how it can be an annoyance to anyone unless you're actually trying to drive the car hard.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:31 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
I don't see how it can be an annoyance to anyone unless you're actually trying to drive the car hard.
Here's how: when you're stopped in the snow, and need to pull out of a side street and onto a main road across traffic. In those conditions, as soon as a little slip is detected by the TC, power is cut and you can't get out of the middle of the road quickly enough. That's happened to me one too many times with the TC on in the winter, and I've found it much easier to navigate such a situation with the TC off, and just control slip myself through careful throttle application. Then again, when I used to drive the car in the snow, I always had true snow/ice tires, so slip was limited anyway. If you're driving around on wide all-seasons or summer tires in the snow, then TC might be your only hope of moving.

Originally Posted by Thrdlife
but it's one of those things you like to have and if you didn't you'd be jealous of those who do.
Not me. I'm jealous of the guys that don't have it, because the engine bay looks cleaner without the extra cables and junction/control box.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Regular

my routine is seatbelt, fogs on, and TC off. i never use it and is completely tuned out on my SS. along with everyone else, it seems easier to drive in rain/snow with it off.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:50 PM
Banned

Tcs means slower times.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:00 PM
Banned

my routine is seatbelt, fogs on, and TC off.
never figured out why it is "cool" to drive around with fog lights on.
must be the same reason I never figured out why popping your collar is cool....
Old 12-18-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Not me. I'm jealous of the guys that don't have it, because the engine bay looks cleaner without the extra cables and junction/control box.
Ditto
Old 12-18-2011, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Here's how: when you're stopped in the snow, and need to pull out of a side street and onto a main road across traffic. In those conditions, as soon as a little slip is detected by the TC, power is cut and you can't get out of the middle of the road quickly enough. That's happened to me one too many times with the TC on in the winter, and I've found it much easier to navigate such a situation with the TC off, and just control slip myself through careful throttle application. Then again, when I used to drive the car in the snow, I always had true snow/ice tires, so slip was limited anyway. If you're driving around on wide all-seasons or summer tires in the snow, then TC might be your only hope of moving.
Gotcha, I can definitely see it being a pain when driving through snow. Didn't even think of that when I made my previous post.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 71novaguy
never figured out why it is "cool" to drive around with fog lights on.
must be the same reason I never figured out why popping your collar is cool....
ive wondered that too. when i first got the car i didnt do it but after awhile ( and seeing others do it) i started to.

i guess it makes the car standout more. (or it did back in 2002) but allot of cars now have a bunch of lights on at a time so it doesnt really standout anymore.

i think it looks cool up close at night.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I miss it, my old lt1 auto had it and it was awesome for driving in the snow. If you hold it right at the threshold where it's no longer kicking the peddle back you can walk out of anything. The m6 without it gets a bit hairy in the snow.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't have it, as a friend of mine said; it's just one more thing to turn off. For the fog lights, I think the car looks more aggressive with them on.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:31 PM
Banned

ive wondered that too. when i first got the car i didnt do it but after awhile ( and seeing others do it) i started to.

i guess it makes the car standout more. (or it did back in 2002) but allot of cars now have a bunch of lights on at a time so it doesnt really standout anymore.

i think it looks cool up close at night.
at night, eh, its a wash. during the day, just plain stupid. you already have drls. i do believe its actually illegal in some cities/states to drive with them on when its not foggy.

too many idiots out there with foglights on that end up blinding the next guy all in the attempt to look cool.

Quick Reply: Traction control?? What's the point?