New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help on a Car I Looked at Today!!!

Old 12-19-2011, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help on a Car I Looked at Today!!!

Ok, I sold my Vette to pay off debt, BUT I do want a $4-$6k Z28 so I went and looked at one today, a clean 01 Z28, 130K miles only problem that I can see (and I have never seen anything like it) is that the left side of the engines spark plug wires move in and out at idle @ the boot to spark plug area (like a mm or 2), when I rev it up they move a little faster, (no im not seeing **** I know its doing it), now if I reach down and move the wires (@ idle) TOWARD the head by pushing them in it results in a thud against the spark plug boot, like someone is tapping on it from inside the motor/head. I did remove one of the wires and it does look like the plugs are original AC Delcos so I do not know if that has something to do with it, I am VERY mechanically inclined I just do not know what the hell it is? Is it bad wires and the ARC inside is cause them to move and thud around? Also upon removing the oil cap there was some slight milky residue on the filler neck, prob from driving it on short trips and what not, not enough there to raise a red flag but it was there. Let me know what you think I can pick it up for $3700, the right side is good to go its not doing it.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1C5Vette
Ok, I sold my Vette to pay off debt, BUT I do want a $4-$6k Z28 so I went and looked at one today, a clean 01 Z28, 130K miles only problem that I can see (and I have never seen anything like it) is that the left side of the engines spark plug wires move in and out at idle @ the boot to spark plug area (like a mm or 2), when I rev it up they move a little faster, (no im not seeing **** I know its doing it), reaching down and moving the wires (@ idle) TOWARD the head results in a thud against the spark plug boot, like someones tapping on it from inside the motor/head. I did remove one of the wires and it does look like the plugs are orig AC delcos so I do not know if that has something to do with it, I am VERY mechanically inclined I just do not know what the hell it is? Is it bad wires and the ARC inside is cause them to move and thud around? Also upon removing the oil cap there was some slight milky residue on the filler neck, prob from driving it on short trips and what not, not enough there to raise a red flag but it was there. Let me know what you think I can pick it up for $3700

It is most likely the plug wires, where they seat on the plugs sometimes they won't stay if they have been used for years without being replaced. I don't quite have that problem yet, but even with my MSD wires that I bought 2 years ago since I have replaced the plugs so often they are started to feel loose on the plug. Don't take my word for it, but a simple plug wire change should fix the issue.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The plugs arent slack? Are you say ing the boost are moving?
Old 12-19-2011, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

yes just the boots on the left side, plugs are tight
Old 12-19-2011, 09:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't Camaro's blow head gaskets sometimes? But if it's a light residue I'd imagine it's what you said, short trips. My truck has it too because I do a lot of in town, short trip drives.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:59 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,458 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by 91sonomast
Didn't Camaro's blow head gaskets sometimes?
Not a common issue for these cars/engines at all.

Like the OP concluded, it's likely the result of frequent short trip driving.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why do short trips cause that?
Old 12-20-2011, 01:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Milk shake is bad either way. Stay away unless you are at minimum willing to replace the head gaskets.

Rough guess, the water pump seized and the previous owner drove it hot and warped the heads. The plugs moving are just an indication of a warped head and the milkshake is from the head not sealing properly to the gasket

But again I'm going from your milk shake symptoms more than anything
Old 12-20-2011, 01:28 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,458 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by sepsis
Why do short trips cause that?
That milky white residue is the result of moisture build-up in the crank case. If it's just a little bit on the bottom of the oil fill cap, then it's likely because of short trips where the oil isn't able to get hot enough for long enough to burn off all the moisture. If it's an excessive amount, then there could be other concerns.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 12-20-2011 at 03:02 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:44 AM
TECH Resident

The spark plugs are not moving, just the wire boots are, and yes the milky stuff (and very slight) is in the filler neck only, car blows no smoke and has perfect oil color on the dip stick...
Old 12-21-2011, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When in doubt go without! lol I would stay away
Old 01-03-2012, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

leave it.

Search this Thread