New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So Much Torque, It bent the Chassis...

Old 12-25-2011, 09:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default So Much Torque, It bent the Chassis...

Well no, not as dramatic as that... But i did See the LCA (Lower Control Arm) On the Passenger side of my car is bent.
Not sure what could of caused it, but this may be the reason, For the Excessive wheel hop i Would get when i would do a burn out on the street. It shook so bad or hop'd that i thought i was going to break something. Maybe this is affecting my 1/4 mile time also, who knows....

This is one more thing i Am going to have to replace, does anyone here recommend a specific type of LCA? And do they improve Lauch??

Thx everyone, Merry XMAS!!!
Old 12-25-2011, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife got me a set of Spohn LCAs with Delsphere Bushings for Christmas a couple years ago. Prior to installing them, I can't say I noticed much Wheel-hop from my 99. (Not that I beat on my car all that much either.) I will say that I know I haven't had ANY Wheel-hop since putting them on the car. That being the case, I like them a lot and would recommend them to anybody who's in the market for a set.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

Well i will Deff take a look at them, and wait to see who else has had first hand experience with Aftermarket LCA's
Old 12-25-2011, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LASTOFTHEBREED02T/A
Well i will Deff take a look at them, and wait to see who else has had first hand experience with Aftermarket LCA's
Wheel hop can cause a lot of damage on any car. Tons of people run aftermarket LCA's on here, including myself. I have Metco's that came with the car but am planning on getting adjustable Spohn's(with Delsphere bushings) so I can fit 28" slicks. I've never had any wheel hop with the Metco's.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

also with age your springs get weak.bushing get soft and can't control suspension motion as good.with your power level you would benefit from alot of suspension up grades.LCA,torque arm,springs ,and shocks.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I definitely recommend LCA's I have non adj UMI's. I also got set of relocator brackets. I'm factory ride height and they helped will wheel hop tremendously. On a car that is lowered IMO they are a must.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

post pics of said LCA.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LCA's do improve launch, and '60ft times. I like Spohn, that's what I would suggest to you.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Would aftermarket LCA's and relocation brackets be nessecary upgrade for an H/C/I/E LS1 mainly street car with some strip time? Just curious. Would an adjustable setup be best?
Old 12-26-2011, 07:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
Would aftermarket LCA's and relocation brackets be nessecary upgrade for an H/C/I/E LS1 mainly street car with some strip time? Just curious. Would an adjustable setup be best?
get LCA's, if your car isn't lowered you probably don't need the relocation brackets. You also need an aftermarket torque arm. Subframe connectors would be good too
Old 12-26-2011, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

They're both a really good idea if you want traction. I would get them both, along with Sub-frame connectors.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:09 PM
11 Second Club

Here is the Thing... Im not planning on lowering my ride at all, just dont want to deal with all the extras.

So In my case will the adjustable Sphoon LCA' w/ sphere bushings be enough?

Also when it comes to shocks, Do i just get the ones the car came with, or is there a better shock out there with a good price.

Let me know the same for springs but dont think i need them...
Old 12-26-2011, 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LASTOFTHEBREED02T/A
Here is the Thing... Im not planning on lowering my ride at all, just dont want to deal with all the extras.

So In my case will the adjustable Sphoon LCA' w/ sphere bushings be enough?
This all depends on what you want to do with the car and what you are willing to deal with.
Rod ended bushings are going to be more harsh and more noisy than rubber bushings but allow articulation (which is good for handling).
Poly bushings can ride better but are still more harsh than rubber, but they can bind causing bad handling and ride quality.
UMI makes roto-joint LCA's which are quiet, articulate and ride decent for what they are, IMO its either that or solid rubber bushings for a street car.
Definitely use the search function and read about anything before you buy, you will learn a lot.

Also when it comes to shocks, Do i just get the ones the car came with, or is there a better shock out there with a good price.
I personally would never waste your money on buying stock shocks, they have horrible valving to begin with(which means bad ride, handling and control) and it only gets worse with wear over time. Worn out stock shocks make decent drag shocks, so if going strait is all you care about you can stick with them.
Otherwise I would look into some SLP Bilstiens, these are far superior to the stock decarbons but cheap (cheapest good shock IMO). Better ride and handling with these.

Let me know the same for springs but dont think i need them...
If you don't want to lower then you don't have to replace your springs.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

my car wheel hopped like a ****... umi lca's and relocation brackets and now it dosn't wheel hop at all
Old 12-26-2011, 07:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
This all depends on what you want to do with the car and what you are willing to deal with.
Rod ended bushings are going to be more harsh and more noisy than rubber bushings but allow articulation (which is good for handling).
Poly bushings can ride better but are still more harsh than rubber, but they can bind causing bad handling and ride quality.
UMI makes roto-joint LCA's which are quiet, articulate and ride decent for what they are, IMO its either that or solid rubber bushings for a street car.
Definitely use the search function and read about anything before you buy, you will learn a lot.

I personally would never waste your money on buying stock shocks, they have horrible valving to begin with(which means bad ride, handling and control) and it only gets worse with wear over time. Worn out stock shocks make decent drag shocks, so if going strait is all you care about you can stick with them.
Otherwise I would look into some SLP Bilstiens, these are far superior to the stock decarbons but cheap (cheapest good shock IMO). Better ride and handling with these.

If you don't want to lower then you don't have to replace your springs.

I can end my Thread right here... Thank you very much for all the well explain info, Deff sounds like you know your stuff.
I'll Start my research now and start buying.

Thx to all...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So Much Torque, It bent the Chassis...