Sponsored by:

AEM Air Fuel gauge

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM Air Fuel gauge

98 camaro ss
Quick question, I just got an AEM air/fuel gauge and was wondering where the best/easiest spot to splice in for power and ground would be.

Also maybe a more in depth question. Last spring I had a horrible valve train noise when i got off the highway after a hundred or so miles. I took the suspect side valve cover off and found bent pushrods and couple broken ones. Replace them and put the rockers back on following the directions from ls1howto.com They did not mention valve lash/preload so i just torqued everything to 22ft lbs since i just heard about this designation. It runs good, noise gone. Ran it all summer and fall without problems. What do i do.

Last edited by Slicker; 01-13-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried to decipher what "it runs like a top noise gone" means. Please clarify so we can help.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:17 PM
Teching In

seems to run fine, it does not make valve train noise, I am just worried about problems with the possible lack of preload or over preload.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well are you running an aftermarket cam? If you are what are the specs (as well as springs, pushrods, lifters, etc..)

If it's stock and you replaced the pushrods with the stock length then you are fine. People usually bend/break pushrods by missing shifts. So you may have either done that or someone before did that enough to bend them and then they finally broke.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:18 PM
Teching In

I should have filled in the back story to the situation. Im not the orig owner. I was heading up to my wedding and was going to use the car as a get away car and when i got on the off ramp in town i head a horrible sound. I needed the car the next day for the wedding so i had some pushrods over night shipped and swapped them in. No cam change. Pushrods are standard length 7.40

Any ideas for the gauge wire up?
Old 01-13-2012, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Splice into the front passenger side O2 sensor (purple wire). Easiest spot is by the PCM. Behind the PCM, there is a ~2" diameter hole. Run the wire through. Remove the passenger side kick panel to get access to the wire, then route it where you want to put it.

Just make sure you have the correct wire and do not cut through the wire since that will add resistance to the 02 and give incorrect readings.