New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got all my rotors off and my car up in the air, what else can I do while it's here?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got all my rotors off and my car up in the air, what else can I do while it's here?

So I tried to put it all in the title. I'm putting on cross drilled and slotted rotors right now and have my 00 SS up on some jacks and pretty exposed. I just bought it from my brother, it has 100k miles and he hasn't really done anything to it. What else can I do right now to help out the ride and/or clean the undercarriage?

Should I just spray some de-greaser at it and attempt to clean it up as much as possible? Are there any easy cheap bushings to replace or any random maintenance you would do while its in the garage?
Old 01-11-2012, 02:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do the garden hose mod to the rear springs.

Get some simple green and clean, clean clean.

Swap out your trans mount for a poly one.

If you have the cash you can easily add rear lower control arms and relocation brackets as well as panhard bar.

Check your rear end fluid and trans fluid if It's an m6

Fuel filter....

Also since your doing brakes, I would flush and change the brake fluid, you can also do that on the clutch system as well.

Check u joints on the drive shaft...

Again if you have cash you can add a girdle cover to the rear end.

Sorry, every post I add I think of more.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:28 AM
On The Tree

No worries, thats the kinda info I wanted. Yea I'm also putting in my SLP Linelock right now. Super easy install but I still need to bleed the whole system. Trans fluid could definitely use a flush and clutch... How difficult is doing the poly trans mount?

I also need to run some 0 gauge power wire for my upcoming audio install, where is the best place on the firewall to run it? I'm also hooking up some A-pillar gauges, Autometer Water Temp (I already put the sensor in the TB Bypass Mod) and then an Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge I need to wire into the O2 Sensors. Do I have to drill out the firewall for a big *** 0 gauge wire? Thanks for any and all input.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:47 AM
Staging Lane

Not sure what others did for the power wire, but I ran mine through the grommet on the passengers side behind the pcm. I had to make my own incision in the grommet to get the wire through but it is there now and I don't see any ill-effects from doing it that way.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:06 AM
12 Second Club

Trans mount is simple. Support the trans with a jack, remove the 18 mm bolt holding the mount to the trans, then un bolt the cross member from the body. Switch the mounts on the cross member and re install the cross member and bolt holding the trans to the mount.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't switch out the trans mount to poly - stay with a stock rubber mount or put a new rubber mount in.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

check for any leaks. change your oil to m1.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:57 AM
12 Second Club

Care to back up your statement about why you wouldn't switch to a poly mount with some facts?
Old 01-11-2012, 08:14 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bww3588
Care to back up your statement about why you wouldn't switch to a poly mount with some facts?
Sure thing son. A poly mount will transfer a **** ton of vibration into the interior and to me that's not worth it over the stock rubber mount. Do some research and you'll see many make the same complaint. I tried a poly mount in my '01 SS 6-spd and hated it and went back to a rubber mount. Plenty of very fast 1/4 mile cars out there running the stock trans mount without issues.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:34 AM
12 Second Club

I have a poly mount and it does not transmit a **** ton of vibrations. It actually kept the shifter from shaking around so much and made shifts a little easier to hit.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Leaving the pre-load off will help with that. Some even grind down the nubs. Op, I would check your rear end for leaks or just go ahead and just change the fluid in it. Brake fluid flush is the most underated thing one can do IMO. I did one on my Rover when I bough it and the fluid was so nasty and it smelt horrible.... yeah it was that bad. Either way it can go a long way to improving brake feel.

Oh and clean clean clean....
Old 01-11-2012, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Inspect your ball joints and bushings for wear, check for leaks, change gasket and oil in rear diff.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by wav3form
Sure thing son. A poly mount will transfer a **** ton of vibration into the interior and to me that's not worth it over the stock rubber mount. Do some research and you'll see many make the same complaint. I tried a poly mount in my '01 SS 6-spd and hated it and went back to a rubber mount. Plenty of very fast 1/4 mile cars out there running the stock trans mount without issues.
This is a well documented issue with poly transmission mounts in countless vehicles.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Banned

Well you can clean off the bottom of the car good. Also if you want to ever go to biger tires you should take off your bumb stops and cut them back towards the inner fender. Then there is more space
Old 01-13-2012, 12:12 AM
12 Second Club

It's only an issue if you can't deal with the extra vibrations. I have poly motor mounts as well as a trans mount, and a tunnel mountem torque arm and I honestly don't feel that much more vibrations than before with all rubber. Then again I'm not expecting it to ride and drive like a Cadillac so I guess that's why I either don't notice it or mind it when I do.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

Yea I'm going to have to stick to the rubber tranny mount for now. I've just been cleaning, painting the calipers, and changing some fluids. I've seen a few poly bushing kits on eBay for like $200... I do hear some squeaks from time to time but is it worth it to buy one of those kits?

Also this is pretty random but I don't really want to start a new thread on it, what is so great about Tick Clutch Master Cylinders? What do they really do? They seem like if so many high end f-bodys have them, then they're obviously worth it but what will it change for me?
Old 01-13-2012, 02:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Flush the entire brake system with new fluid. Perfect opportunity.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Change ALL fluids imo. Brake, Clutch, Diff, Oil, etc.

I personally agree with the poly trans mount, but everyone has a different opinion on it and I don't care the thread crap here. I like mine, alot.

Check ALL bushings, suspension, replace as needed. You can buy a full stock suspension rebuild kit from MOOG for under $300 shipped. Ride quality is very important in my book!

Fuel Filter, Plugs/Wires (Perfect opportunity)

Clean your MAF, TB, Intake, Air Filter, etc. (You can obviously do this later, don't need the car elevated for this)

Clean undercarriage
Old 01-15-2012, 02:51 PM
11 Second Club

Braided brake lines and flush the fluids. I'd do a poly mount. It does have vibrations at first. But will get less as it breaks in. It just takes time like anything else
Old 01-15-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by B0dyDr0pp3d
Yea I'm going to have to stick to the rubber tranny mount for now. I've just been cleaning, painting the calipers, and changing some fluids. I've seen a few poly bushing kits on eBay for like $200... I do hear some squeaks from time to time but is it worth it to buy one of those kits?

Also this is pretty random but I don't really want to start a new thread on it, what is so great about Tick Clutch Master Cylinders? What do they really do? They seem like if so many high end f-bodys have them, then they're obviously worth it but what will it change for me?
If you're going to mod you car, it's a must imo. The stock master cyl/hydraulic system in these cars is a major weak point. Once you have bolt on's, clutch, gears, etc. the tick is really a very worthwhile mod.