Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Figuring out where to start

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 11:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Figuring out where to start

I bought a 5.3, guy told me the mileage but I forgot now. Anyway, getting the engine ready and the truck ready is NOT going be a quick process due to me being in college and being broke but, trying to figure out where to start. Of course I tore into the engine as soon as it got home, just pulled heads and oilpan, everything looks good, the broken rod caused absolutely no damage to the engine except a hole in the windage tray. It has 862 heads which I have read do have benefits when building a high compression engine.
My plan: going to slowly begin work on engine, probably going to keep truck intake but will pretty it up, then again I wanna run a 90/90 setup so the engine can breath easily. I'm looking for around 11:1-12:1 compression ratio. I can check the bores with a bore gauge myself if need be. I want to run a good choppy cam but keep SOME street manners and one that is going to compliment the engine. Now piston options, what is out there for a 5.3 that doesn't have to be custom made?
The 862 heads, I've done some reading on here, I know they aren't a real popular head but, with some port work and bigger valves being on a higher compression engine are they a waste? I've been reading and looking around on here for a bit but have had my nose in these engines for a while but still lacking in knowledge, willing to accept any knowledge you guys wanna throw at me.
The stock cranks are good for 650ish hp at the crank correct? I should be safe there, what about the stock rods? I plan on putting either a 4L65 or 6L70 behind it, I have plenty of time to worry about deciding on a tranny and finding one. Ultimately, for the time being I'm looking to pull about 450 MAYBE 500rwhp out of this N/A. Am I being too optimistic?
So where should I start? I can't buy parts all at once, gonna pick up pieces here and there then assemble once everything is acquired. Get the block to a machine shop and let them inspect it and go from there or check the bores, mains, cam bore, and head surfaces myself?

Last edited by 91sonomast; 01-17-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find an ls6 intake and have a cam made for your heads. Are you bumping up the compression by milling the heads or with pistons? I'd guess 320-340rwhp range with this engine.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I planned on bumping it with pistons, where is a good place to find piston compression height info, cam bore diameters, main diameters, and all the technical stuff like that?
These heads are going to be a real restrictive area of making power aren't they? If I wanna make real power I'm gonna have to break down and buy some 799's or 243's aren't I?
Old 01-18-2012, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to Generation lll Internals section.