Sponsored by:

98 m6 engine swap newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 08:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 m6 engine swap newbie questions

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

New to the forum and I've done some searches for this question. I'm sure it's been asked several times but I've had no real luck for my specific questions. I have recently purchased a 98 trans am with 181k mile ls1. It runs like a top but has some oil leaks. I'd like to build a good stroker but funds won't permit that right now. I'm looking at swapping in a 5.3 or 6.0 for the time being and the questions I have are is there a particular year or version that works better than another? Will they all bolt up to the stock 6 speed or is the a flywheel or some other necessary conversion? Also what's the story with the reluctor wheel? Can that be tuned over or around or does someone make a conversion piece for that? I have limited access to a shop so I will need to get it done in a weekend and I'm just trying to avoid any surprises. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks fellas.

Last edited by XGT500X; 02-20-2012 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Autocorrect
Old 02-20-2012, 10:22 AM
Teching In

I just signed up and have been roaming around this forum. There is a lot of information on here you should look around or try searching this place is very informative.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Teching In

I've been looking for the last two weeks. I've read that the trans will bolt up and read that it won't. Haven't heard much about the reluctor wheel. Just the two fairly simple questions I have. It's possible that it's in here somewhere but in two weeks of reading I haven't been able to find it. I've read some of the 6.0's require a spacer for the autos. Can't find much about the m6's to the 6.0 or 5.3.