Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF???? what about it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF???? what about it?

Well im new and i am planning on getting the SLP cold air induction kit, Loud mouth exhaust ( i like the sound ) and the LS1 NX kit..... do i need a mass airflow sensor if so what size brand etc... thx for any help...oh and is all that stuff any good, ive done a lot of research like you all say to and it all sounds pretty good
Old 03-21-2004, 08:36 PM
Teching In

oh I have a 99 z28
Old 03-21-2004, 09:04 PM
11 Second Club

No, you dont NEED a maf, but I would recommend picking up a good used one (I payed $125 for a G2) or porting and descreening yours. Unless you plan on running ALOT of hp, the stock size should be fine. Most people say that the maf doesnt help much at lower hp levels, but it definately can't hurt. Look at my sig for my mods and numbers. Pretty damn good IMHO.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:10 PM
Teching In

nice numbers......is that at the wheels cause all this talk about GM's numbers is making me wonder...my z28 is supposed to have 305 HP...does it? thanx for the info on the maf you just saved me 300 cause i was looking at the granetelli...what is !baffles and bellows
Old 03-21-2004, 10:33 PM
11 Second Club

yes....that is at the wheels. ive been told my numbers are on the high end, but nothing out of the ordinary.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:56 PM
11 Second Club

If you have an automatic you might not want to mess with your MAF at all. I've heard they can mess up shift points since the MAF is used by the computer to figure out shift points/firmness, or something of that nature. I put one on my TA (auto) a month or so back and it doesn't seem as good as it used to be. I'm in the processes of polishing my stock one, but once I'm done I'm putting it back on and hoping for a change.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:58 AM
11 Second Club

You have a Camaro, so Im not sure if you have baffles.......they are pieces of plastic in the nostrils of a WS6 hood that are "designed" (hell of a design, huh? why don't you just block ALL my air?! "to keep rain out" of the airlid. The only way water is gonna get sucked into your engine is if someone stands in front of your car and throws a 5 gallon bucket of water right up your nostrils (not YOUR nostrils ) After removing these baffles, the air comes in the nostrils and straight in the airbox. You can't notice it at all down low, but when you start getting to 80, 90, and 100 mph you can actually feel the car pulling harder than it used to. Bellows is the little ribbed piece of hosing from your MAF to your throttlebody and is replaced with a smoother, less restrictive piece. SLP sells it (called "smooth bellows") or you can go to Home Depot to the plumbing section and pick up the $8 FERNCO part that does the same exact thing.
Do searches for anything you need an answer to. This site has ALOT of info. I am still a newbie, but have learned tons thanks to this site and all of the very knowledgable people that post here.
Oh yeah....forgot to tell you, when you see an exclamation point in front of something (such as !baffles) that means that part has been removed.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:58 AM
On The Tree

Personally, I would NOT get an aftermarket one. I've read too many posts of folks getting either no or good results to start with and then their car running lean or rich. I've read threads of folks that jacked their MAF up trying to descreen it, as well.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mess with the MAF and you're messing with the
tune. Doing it blind and without the means to
correct is a pretty poor bet. With consequences.

"You got to ask yourself one question... 'Do I
feel lucky?' ... well, do you, punk?"
Old 03-22-2004, 11:31 AM
11 Second Club

A couple days after I put my MAF on, I went to the dyno. My A/F was 12.9 on the first run and 13.0 on the second......damn near perfect. But I did keep the stocker just in case.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:50 PM
Launching!

Stock MAF`s are good to 600 HP,time,expense,effort for the return is retarded IMO.
FRA and Raised Airbox (Done completly/properly)will net you the same gain as that SLP-CA
The price of the NX could be better applied towards a G5 Cam/Springs of which doesnt need a refill

Mod Smart
Old 03-22-2004, 01:57 PM
11 Second Club

I might be one of the lucky ones....who knows. I would heed the advice of the majority.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kjmdrumz3
I might be one of the lucky ones....who knows. I would heed the advice of the majority.
your airfuel might have been right, but the maf is used for a lot more than the air/fuel ratio.

load, timing, ect...

ryan <-- stock maf
Old 03-22-2004, 03:54 PM
Teching In

thank you all