New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is a stall conerter, how do they work, and should i get one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Location: Ashland VA when im at school, VA beach VA when im at home
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is a stall conerter, how do they work, and should i get one?

im a newb with prolly a dumb question. What is a stall converter? I have a 2002 a4 pontiac trans am. I have a true dual exhaust, lt headers dual cats, dual mufflers, etc. w/ an h pipe and an aftermarket intake beause i don't have a WS6. ne way ive heard stall converters mention by so many people who run quick quarter miles with automatics: i'd really like some information on them so mayeb i can look into geting one for my car. thanx to everyone for yall's help.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:09 PM
Ls1tech Bad Ass

Originally Posted by ShadowLightCSU
A higher stall converter lets your car get to a higher RPM where we have more power, much faster. If you've ridden in an auto LS1 it feels like there's kind of a lull before the power hits you at about 3000 RPM, with a stall, it removes the lull.
heres a brief explanation given to me by ShadowLight in this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...7&page=1&pp=20 . dont know if that is what you're looking for, but there ya go!
Old 03-21-2004, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

go to the "automatic transmission" section of this forum. everything you want to know about your trans is there. just browse the first few pages of the section. you will find your answer there. also you need to figure out your application. is it for the street, and track or strictly track use? I have a Vig3200 going in and have nothing but positive things about it. also SSF3500 is very popular. you need to narrow down exactly what you want the car to do. launch hard? good from a roll? launch soft but lots of stall? once you narrow down what you will be using the torque converter for it will be soooooo much easier to figure out which one is for you. just as a side note.......invest in some drag radials

J
Old 03-22-2004, 02:35 PM
Launching!

A question while we are on the topic...which torque convertor would give me a quick start (0-45mph)...I'm talking no mushy gas pedal. I want that, "*** stays, car goes feeling" Is there one? If not, what mod would get that done?
Old 03-22-2004, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by shippershack
A question while we are on the topic...which torque convertor would give me a quick start (0-45mph)...I'm talking no mushy gas pedal. I want that, "*** stays, car goes feeling" Is there one? If not, what mod would get that done?
Vigilante 3200 stall and nitrous LOL.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

any TC wll give that feeling once you heat up the DR's out back