New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my throttle got stuck open and kept the pedal floored. why? HELP!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my throttle got stuck open and kept the pedal floored. why? HELP!?

ok so for the break down before the issue occurred to help you understand better.
1999 trans am ls1 6speed
So me and my boys went to this car meet last night, and i did burnout but when i came to a stop, my engine was still reving and the pedal was stuck so i instantly turned off the car. played with the throttle body and heard a click from under that traction control box thing. the cable that runs fro mthe pedal into this box, then another cable from the box to the throttle body. well anyways, me and a friend were driving "fast" down the road and as i shifted out of 2nd gear the RPMS were pinging again and the pedal stuck to the floor again. so i shut it off and pulled over. well this time before i touched the cable i knocked on that box again and it clicked and released the cables. i was like maybe the traction control is messing up so i unplugged it.. test drove and still did it. does anyone know what is causing or why this is locking up like it is? please help and thanks so much, also is there a way i can bypass that and go fro mthe gas pedal straight to the throttle body?
Old 03-01-2012, 12:38 AM
On The Tree

Just a guess, does the throttle cable have a burr on it causing it to stick open? I had a 91 camaro do that once.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:11 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have at first said a bind possibly near the throttle body but since your noticing the Box maybe malfunctioning, you could search out for a used unit, plenty of racers out there ditching it and can't really sell them easily.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could be anything from floor mats to a frayed cable, but sounds like you
found the sticky spot in the "gizmo". You can pop the plastic cover, and
clean / inspect / lube.

Me, I bypassed mine with non-TCS cables but never bothered to remove
since I wanted to keep the spark-pull part of the action.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'd just delete traction control completely. all you need is a new throttle cable for a non-traction control car and a cruise control cable for a non-traction control car if you want to keep the cruise control. it definately sounds like somethings wrong in the tcs box though.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Check cable to ASR for slack. If you hammer the throttle and it sticks, the cable could be jumping up on the lip of the cam/pulley and sticking between it and the plastic cover.
Mine did and it took me 5 kicks of the pedal before it jumped back in place.
Scary **** with a 15mph 90 degree curve fast approching.
Adjusted cable with no WOT issues to date.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:54 PM
Launching!

There is probably a bind in the throttle body. When I installed my intake manifold and 92mm throttle body I accidently let the throttle body slame shut when I opened it all the way and let go by hand. Which caused it to stay shut. I ended up using a allen key on the tensioner and it poped open under tension. So maybe it got a bind on the " all the way open " position
Old 03-02-2012, 12:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Toyota cable.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes, that sounds kinda terrifying!!
Old 03-02-2012, 09:01 AM
Teching In

i had a scare like this the first night i had my car. i was warping the throttle from under the hood and the cable jumped off the throttle body guide and had it sitting around five grand. could be as easy as that, but i would for sure follow up with what these other guys are saying sense im only a month into owning my first LS powered car.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:44 AM
Teching In

Not trying to call you ignorant man, but I STRONGLY stress that you make sure it's not something simple like the very end of your pedal getting stuck on the edge of your floormat. This very same thing kept happening to me. In my case, it felt like the pedal was free. I could mash it all the way to the floor and it had a good bit of travel back up, but the mat was catching it just enough to keep it from returning all the way up. I googled this and apparently it is much more common of an issue than you would think.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:46 AM
Teching In

Btw, I also did the same thing you did to temp. fix mine. Pulled the cable(or knocking the ASR box in your case, would do the same thing) just enough and released. Apparently it is enough to free the end of the pedal from the mat. Good luck!
Old 03-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

can anyone direct me into the right direction to find the cables i need to just run directly into the throttle body? i dont need traction, nor do i need cruise control.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mike.warrenws6
can anyone direct me into the right direction to find the cables i need to just run directly into the throttle body? i dont need traction, nor do i need cruise control.

I THINK this is the one you want but I'm not 100% sure: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LOK-TC-1000LS148/

You should call them and ask them directly.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:30 PM
Teching In

Default gas pedal sticking LS1 engine

I am new the TA world and this has happened 3 times now and am wondering why? The gas pedal will stick have way and in the process cause the car to red line at over 6000 RPM and the only way I have found to fix the issue is to pretty much take my foot of the gas for just a second and then gun it. Now this only happens at low speeds or when you have not had your foot off the gas like going through a construction area. Any information would be great thanks.

Quick Reply: my throttle got stuck open and kept the pedal floored. why? HELP!?