Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tough Decision

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
What is it exactly that your find unsatisfactory about the 474 that you would improve or would be looking for a ls1 swap to improve?

If I missed this I apologize.
Well in short, I know ill be completely satisfied power wise with the 474, but its more a question on drivability of a computer controlled fuel injection engine. It just seems so appealing when I see one of you guys pull in with a late model f-body and rip off a mid to high 12 and then just get back on the highway and drive 2 hours home. I guess its a matter of what kind of return I want from my money, good E.T's or the ability of getting full use of the car and have the ability to drive it anywhere.

I'm looking into the possibility of putting a 4l80e behind the 474. That would give me that one extra gear I always feel I need driving around with my th350. And allow me to cruise the highway at 2300rpm at 68 with 3.42 gears
Old 03-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by quicksilver383
Hey 78, yeah I saw you were over at PY also, good to see you there. Don't forget these cars were new one time and drove just fine. My Lemans is all stock and I dont do anything to it. Pump the gas when I havnt started it in a while but otherwise I just drive and it requires nothing special. Heck, I would easily go so far as to say it's neglected that way. I'm not sure what your goals are for efficiency and drivability but I would get it out of the 474 one way or another. Good Luck!
Hey quicksilver

PY is the spot for Pontiac info thats forsure. Yah even with the 400 thats in the car now, its not that bad I have to admit. Just let it warm up and your off, I just think longer drives are nicer in a EFI car. Im trying to stay way from the fuel efficiency thing because if you did the math of what I would save in fuel, I would have to drive the car for at least 5 years for a lot of km's in order for the cost of the swap to make sense in that sense, Id dought that i put more then 2000km's a year and short trips....ahah but who knows with EFI i may be driving to more of those 2 hour away car shows
Old 03-06-2012, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the car just have poor driveablity over all? Why could you drive it 2hours with EFI but not with a carb? Is it a mpg concern?