Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oxygen Sensor issues after header and ory install

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oxygen Sensor issues after header and ory install

Hey folks I just put in some long tube headers and ory. Its just a dog now. They tried tuning it up differently with HP tuner programming and a laptop. We got it less of a dog but still not alot of throttle response, hardly can spin the tires 5 feet. When i about got home the engine light came on and 4 oxygen sensor codes were read. I thought the shop did something with the sensors in the programming. Has anyone had any issues like this and how did they solve it. I need that nice clean throttle and acceleration i had before the install!
Old 03-17-2012, 12:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Did they get the fronts plugged in the right place? I had my rear codes deleted and nothing was touched on the fronts.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Did they get the fronts plugged in the right place? I had my rear codes deleted and nothing was touched on the fronts.

Sounds like a tuning issue, normally I would guess burnt o2 wire, but if all 4 are messed up, they didn't tune the rear ones out and somehow really messed the front 2 up.

Did you check vacuum at idle? I would guess MAF or big vac leak.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:20 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

O2 codes are a way of life for many of us after a LT install. But you can get your car running right even without them functioning perfectly. Tuning the MAF and VE tables with a wideband is the way to get it done.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:38 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

What sort of tuning did they do? Any decent tuner should have known to delete the rear O2s if you told them you had a ORY, so the tuner must've made a mistake (or wasn't aware of the ORY).

As for the fronts, what exactly is the code? If they aren't working right, get them replaced/wiring fixed and then get tuned again.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:55 PM
Teching In

It was an HP tuning programing on his lap top. I had went back because of the ******* and he monitored it while i was driving. I guess when he flashed it again he didnt reset the rear o2 deletes but that doesnt explain the ******* from the fronts. I think i need a shop with more ls1 experience because he didnt understand why i wasnt pleased with the performance when it was clearly worse than when i brought it there and with long tube headers/ory/tuning it shouldnt get worse
Old 03-17-2012, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best take it to someone that 100% knows what they are doing. Just because this guy has HP Tuners doesnt mean he knows how to use it properly. He could have put a tune in your car that could really hurt your motor. Especially after dropping the coin on exhaust. Sorry to hear your problem but I wouldnt drive it until you can get it to a real tuner/shop fella. Check the sponsors>>> Would have alot more confidence in most of them. Look up Frost on here, I have heard he is pretty spot on and tunes are fairly cheap.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its all in the tune. my tuner did not get them all the first time. went back and got the rest....no more lights. nice to drive without that light screaming at me.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

By tunning did he actually mess with fueling and stuff? Or was he just supposed to remove the codes? Turning off the codes should be an extremely simple affair. No report for the rear o2's, EGR and AIR. If he messed with anything else, have him flash it back to stock (i hope he saved a file before he did anything). Also what codes are you getting... maybe your front o2's are just simply bad....
Old 03-25-2012, 11:19 PM
Launching!

I had a bad o2 sensor code P0135 I believe, saying it was a slow sensor and other crap, I replaced it with a denso, and Now i get a code 1133, cleared, comes right back, tried a bosch, same thing, put denso back in.

Not sure why? it's a code for insufficient switching, do i have to live with this? or just get the code tuned out?
Old 03-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Pontiacerator

In many if not most cases O2 sensors will throw codes with LT's because they are relocated too far downstream. I've been through what you're going through and ended up just tuning out the codes.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RevGTO
In many if not most cases O2 sensors will throw codes with LT's because they are relocated too far downstream. I've been through what you're going through and ended up just tuning out the codes.
Can you tune out the front o2's? I do not think you want to do that unless you are always running open loop, and have the appropriate tune for that.

Last edited by udienow; 03-27-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:05 PM
Pontiacerator

Yes, I actually did that for about a year. I got so sick of O2 codes and hassles, I tweaked the AFR tables and went full time open loop.

But that's not what I meant. I mean you just tune out the codes so they don't regsiter and your SES light doesn't come on.

Quick Reply: Oxygen Sensor issues after header and ory install