Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Zexel Torson Carrier Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Zexel Torson Carrier Questions

Ok so I was driving around earlier tonight and noticed a noise coming from the rear of the vehicle (i am suspecting rear end). The noise is hard to describe but sounds like chatter or a repetitive thumping noise coming from the rear of the vehicle while making a left hand rolling turn. The noise gets more pronounced as the rear end warms up. I can only hear the noise with the trans in neutral or on a low rpm coast while making a left hand turn. I am not familiar with the Torson design. I was wondering if F-bodies have problems with these units or if my knows is something else? Any help is GREATLY appreciated!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:31 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would post this in the rear end section. Its been many years since I had any stocker rear in the car. Most common sound is generally a whine or howl. Chattering on turns is generally not a good thing.

Have you recently serviced the rear?, Maybe do a oil swap and look for any metal or glint.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:49 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I've always heard a bit of chatter from my Torsen rears in every '99+ F-body I've had, even when they were brand new. It usually only happens just as you have described, low load/coasting into a turn or on uneven ground, etc. It's loud enough to hear but not so loud as to be alarming.

If this is the same noise you are hearing, I wouldn't worry much. Mine works fine at 100k+ miles and it's always made this noise. You could check the fluid and make sure it's full though.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea all of mine have made sounds like that also so i would do a fluid change and just look for anything in the old fluid or anything that looks to b wearing wrong !
Old 04-02-2012, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I serviced the rear end and replaced the front pinion seal last weekend and the only thing I found with the rear end that I didn't like is that there seems to be a lot of play in either the axle splines of the spider gear splines...or both. I'm sure this is the cause of the clunk on take off but not to sure about the repetitive thumping noise. What are the chances of rounding off an axle spline, spider spline or both?

Quick Reply: OEM Zexel Torson Carrier Questions