Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing SES light after LT/ORY/poly mounts/plugs&wires

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing SES light after LT/ORY/poly mounts/plugs&wires

So i installed all the stuff above she hesitates while getting on the gas, and there is a flashing SES light, so i decided to park it right away. I gapped all the plugs to 40 and made sure all the plug wires were installed correctly. I also deleted the AIR and EGR system so i realize it needs a tune badly, but i wouldnt think it would be enough to make my SES light blink. Any input would be great, thanks. Oh, and i did do a search, i just wanted a little bit more input on it.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Flashing ses light is random, multiple misfires. More than likely you didn't get plug wires on all the way.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

I'm not positive, but those mods should easily be compensated by the stock ecm. Sure, you'll get more power with a tune, but it shouldn't cause it to run badly.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Alright ill check my plugs/wires and give you an update. Thanks
Old 04-02-2012, 01:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure that when you connect the wires to the coils you should feel two clicks. Not one.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ronny_02_WS6
Make sure that when you connect the wires to the coils you should feel two clicks. Not one.
This is a big one, first time I did anything I missed this part and had major issues!
Old 04-02-2012, 11:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

+1... I still have issues with this on occasion. Make sure they click.

FWIW I have a cam (small but still) and LTs with no SES lights (rear 02 and AIR programmed off) but running on otherwise stock tune at the moment.

Also look under the hood in the dark for any arcing from the wires... it's possible one is burnt or too close to the headers and is grounding out.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bww3588
Flashing ses light is random, multiple misfires. More than likely you didn't get plug wires on all the way.
This. Double check all plug wires i'll bet this is your problem.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Since you just pulled all that stuff off I would re-check everything you messed with. I had an 02 sensor issue once that was a PIA. Sometimes an 02 sensor can be real weird. I bought the car and had no SES light. It did have a little surge kind of hesitation though. Then it would stop. Finally one day the SES light starts blinking and its surgin real bad. Replaced it with a Denso from rockauto and hadn't had the SES light again.

What plugs are you running? Also, isn't the smaller gap on a plug a more efficient/reliable spark, but a bigger gap gives more spark? I can't remember what I gapped my NGK's at. Its in a big thread somewhere about gapping plugs.

Have you had the codes read? I go to Oreillys and just use their code reader. I don't let them touch anything. lol
Old 04-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1WS6dreamer
Since you just pulled all that stuff off I would re-check everything you messed with. I had an 02 sensor issue once that was a PIA. Sometimes an 02 sensor can be real weird. I bought the car and had no SES light. It did have a little surge kind of hesitation though. Then it would stop. Finally one day the SES light starts blinking and its surgin real bad. Replaced it with a Denso from rockauto and hadn't had the SES light again.

What plugs are you running? Also, isn't the smaller gap on a plug a more efficient/reliable spark, but a bigger gap gives more spark? I can't remember what I gapped my NGK's at. Its in a big thread somewhere about gapping plugs.

Have you had the codes read? I go to Oreillys and just use their code reader. I don't let them touch anything. lol
I put in new OEM plug wires and NGK tr55's gapped to 40. Im about to go take a look at it in a few minutes, thanks for all the help guys!
Old 04-03-2012, 05:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When I pulled my OEM Wires to replace them they ripped apart, So I helped myself getting MSD/NGKTR55 Combo.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When I pulled my OEM Wires to replace them they ripped apart, So I helped myself getting MSD/NGKTR55 Combo.
I have had excellent luck with the MSD 8.5mm wires. I have pulled them off and put them back on multiple times with no problem. I originally purchased a set of O"reilly's "premium" wires. They didn't click positively like I would've preferred. Took them back and glad I ended up with the MSD's. Also, I am running the NGK TR55's. I just cannot remember what I gapped them at.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Teching In

I had a code reader plugged into it at work today and it said cylinder#7 misfire. It also.had a code for the coil. I must've not got it on there all the way or cracked the porcelain I'm guessing
Old 04-03-2012, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Same thing happened to me...It was 3am and I didn't realize the left bank coil pack was not hooked up. Make sure the coil pack is connected and check for click then look at all plug wires just in case.

Also, after the heat cycle check the header bolts to make sure they don't back out. I had one back out and it was a pain to get back in.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Teching In

Figured it out today it was the plug wire. Thanks for the help!
Old 04-04-2012, 08:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Unplugged or ripped/broken? Glad you got it solved!
Old 04-08-2012, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Unplugged or ripped/broken? Glad you got it solved!
It wasnt on all the way on the plug, and the wire was grounding out on the steering shaft! Lol kinda stupid but whatever, at least i figured it out and it wasnt anything serious! Man did everything i installed make a huge difference, the car is stupid fast now, well i got a couple more mods i did to it in the past but you can def. feel a power increase cant wait to see how it is when i send my pcm to frost!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by udienow
This. Double check all plug wires i'll bet this is your problem.
Originally Posted by 99redrockett/a
Figured it out today it was the plug wire. Thanks for the help!

Pay up... haha
Old 04-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by udienow
Pay up... haha
Lol how much.....
Old 04-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99redrockett/a
It wasnt on all the way on the plug, and the wire was grounding out on the steering shaft! Lol kinda stupid but whatever, at least i figured it out and it wasnt anything serious! Man did everything i installed make a huge difference, the car is stupid fast now, well i got a couple more mods i did to it in the past but you can def. feel a power increase cant wait to see how it is when i send my pcm to frost!
LOL wait till you add a cam and some nice flowing heads