Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thick oil in oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thick oil in oil pan

I bought a ls1 out of a 98 firebird with 99k miles on it from a shop, and started prepping it to swap into my wrx. I drained the oil so I could drop the pan, and it came out fairly slow. Finally it stopped so I dropped the pan and found atleast half a quart left in the pan and its pretty thick. I dont know how long the engine sat at their shop, but it seems that it possibly wasn't maintained very well by the previous owner. The engine has a 30 day warranty on it, but it'll take most of that to get the car going. The problem is, the shop only does exchanges (which I didnt know because I had a friend go pick the engine up). No returns, unless theres something wrong with it. What should I do? I feel screwed.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clean all the oil out really well..

Thick oil I'm sure means that the owner didn't change the oil for a very long time.

Clean it out VERY well and you should be fine..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC-SxrsgEwo
Old 04-01-2012, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

damn, i didnt know this type of procedure/repair existed. i wonder if its even worth it.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Teching In

Well I got under the car and took a look, and to my surprise, the bottom end is actually pretty clean. No sludge crap anywhere, just in the pan. My question is can the oil get thick and what not if it just sits in the engine? Especially after being used atleast 3k miles. Most of what came out was just a bit thicker than normal. Perhaps engine additives had been used in the past as well?
Old 04-01-2012, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
damn, i didnt know this type of procedure/repair existed. i wonder if its even worth it.
me either. wonder how much that would cost
Old 04-13-2012, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

Default Amsoil Engine Clean

I'd deff. use this product and follow the directions closely.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2763.pdf
Old 04-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

1. The procedure in the video will never get ALL the sludge out of the oil passages in the block etc. 2. It cannot correct the damage that has already been done to the motor (bearings, rings, etc.) 3. Bottom line is that's not a valid repair because it can't be warrantied or guaranteed to fix the customers concern in the first place.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My ls1 blew a few k miles after I bought it and I had changed the oil often with synthetic. I had hoped that it was a stuck lifter sO I ran ATF and seafoam through the engine for a good while. When I finally tore the engine down it had the sludge you are describing everywhere. The heads were so thick and deep I could cover my second digit on my pointer finger in some areas. Good luck. Sounds like a deep cleaning and rebuild are on your list now.

Quick Reply: Thick oil in oil pan