Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help, corrosion on coils and plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help, corrosion on coils and plug wires

Hey guys, so I changed my spark plugs this past weekend and noticed I had green corrosion on two of my coil packs and two spark plug wires. I did my best to clean everything off then put everything back together but I noticed my car isn't running as good as before. Does this mean I need to replace my coil packs that had the green corrosion on it along with the spark plug wires? or is there a away around replacing everything with new parts like maybe getting a better cleaning agent and recleaning it? So I guess what I'm really asking is can corrosion destroy the coil packs and spark plug wires?'
Old 04-03-2012, 08:17 AM
Teching In

I would replace the affected components. Corrosion causes high resistance and you don't want that in your ignition system. I doubt you could affectively clean wires, some corrosion probably inside cables and who knows coil may have small amounts of corrosion inside too. I know replacing coils can be expensive proposition but hopefully this will get your vehicle back running the way your used to.

Good luck, Chris
Old 04-03-2012, 11:51 AM
Launching!

ok, thanks for the reply
Old 04-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Launching!

clean them up all nice and shiny, get new wires. nasty performance has msd wires for like $60 and mak esur eyou put dielectric grease in the plug boots before you install them. you can use even wd40 to help when you clean up the terminals of your coil packs.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:10 PM
FormerVendor

Was gonna say dielectric grease too absolutely every time. The coil can go bad from the high resistance too.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If its stored for long periods. Is a de humidifier out of the question??
Old 04-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nasty N8
Was gonna say dielectric grease too absolutely every time. The coil can go bad from the high resistance too.
How do I know if the coil pack is bad? Misfiring?
Old 04-10-2012, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, thats pretty much the only way. Just make sure all the terminals are clean and apply some dielectric to any and all electrical connections. GM coils are pretty high voltage, so it'd take a lotta fuzz to make it actually misfire. Also, you should have done plugs AND wires, considering how big of a PITA 6 and 8 can be.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Homer's Uncle
I would replace the affected components. Corrosion causes high resistance and you don't want that in your ignition system. I doubt you could affectively clean wires, some corrosion probably inside cables and who knows coil may have small amounts of corrosion inside too. I know replacing coils can be expensive proposition but hopefully this will get your vehicle back running the way your used to.

Good luck, Chris
May want to check his battery cables too if that's the case. They can "blue" inside, and you wouldn't know unless you cut in. Just thinking this since obviously corrosion is occuring. OP- Do you store your vehicle, and where (outside?).

Originally Posted by OMGls1jz
How do I know if the coil pack is bad? Misfiring?
Misfiring and check your plugs while you're at it...

Also, like everyone said- dielectric grease is your friend You need to find out how to avoid the corrosion in the first place imo. Coming from a guy who has hunted down more electrical gremlins than I care to admit....
Old 04-10-2012, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

They sell a inline spark tester at the auto store. You plug it between your spark plug and coil and you can see if it has a spark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0td1w20Shao

I just use a screwdriver, but if you don't know what you're doing, you'll zap yourself.

Last edited by sepsis; 04-10-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Glad you put that last part in lol.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by oddwraith
May want to check his battery cables too if that's the case. They can "blue" inside, and you wouldn't know unless you cut in. Just thinking this since obviously corrosion is occuring. OP- Do you store your vehicle, and where (outside?).

Misfiring and check your plugs while you're at it...

Also, like everyone said- dielectric grease is your friend You need to find out how to avoid the corrosion in the first place imo. Coming from a guy who has hunted down more electrical gremlins than I care to admit....
I do store my car outside but I'm not getting any misfire
Old 04-18-2012, 06:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sepsis
They sell a inline spark tester at the auto store. You plug it between your spark plug and coil and you can see if it has a spark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0td1w20Shao

I just use a screwdriver, but if you don't know what you're doing, you'll zap yourself.
I might try to find that then
Old 04-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Staging Lane

Go to a salvage yard & get a couple of coils if you're trying to save some dough. Yards like LKQ have a 30 day return policy. Also, definately replace the wires.

Quick Reply: Need help, corrosion on coils and plug wires