Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Camaro EGR or AIR question

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2002 Camaro EGR or AIR question

Ok, so i have read a ton of threads on here about how LS1 camaros after 99 did not have AIR systems or EGR systems. I have an 02 SS, I'm pretty confident I don't have an AIR system, however, I have two lines running from my exhaust manifolds, the passenger side one runs behind the intake manifold, then runs into what looks like an EGR valve on the driver side, the drivers side line also runs into this. Then a rubber line about an inch in diameter runs up and over toward the drivers side fender, then to the front and down into some sort of air pump behind and under the driver side headlight. Then another tube runs from it and goes into the intake box. This seems like an EGR system to me. If so, how are people removing this? It supposedly is not only for reduced emissions, but also for lowering combustion temeratures to reduce detonation. If this is not correct, please somebody let me know what this is. I'm looking into LT headers and am debating on wheather I want to include EGR (if that is what this is) or remove. At this point I it seems necessary to keep it if it reduces detonation problems. Thanks for any input.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the AIR system.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:33 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by Ace111799
Ok, so i have read a ton of threads on here about how LS1 camaros after 99 did not have AIR systems or EGR systems.
Wow, if that's true then we have a MASSIVE amount of bad info floating around here. ALL LS1 Camaros from '98-'02 had AIR systems stock. ALL of them.

It's the '01-'02 models that do not have EGR. '98-'00 did have EGR.

I have an 02 SS, I'm pretty confident I don't have an AIR system, however, I have two lines running from my exhaust manifolds, the passenger side one runs behind the intake manifold, then runs into what looks like an EGR valve on the driver side, the drivers side line also runs into this. Then a rubber line about an inch in diameter runs up and over toward the drivers side fender, then to the front and down into some sort of air pump behind and under the driver side headlight. Then another tube runs from it and goes into the intake box. This seems like an EGR system to me.
You have just perfectly described the AIR system, which your car apperently does still have.

It supposedly is not only for reduced emissions, but also for lowering combustion temeratures to reduce detonation. If this is not correct, please somebody let me know what this is.
That is not correct. You have described what the EGR system is used for. The AIR (Air Injection Reaction) system is simply used to heat the cats quicker (thus making them more efficent) after an engine start.

I'm looking into LT headers and am debating on wheather I want to include EGR (if that is what this is) or remove. At this point I it seems necessary to keep it if it reduces detonation problems. Thanks for any input.
Your car, being an '02, does not have EGR. Therefore, you should order headers without EGR provisions. If you choose to delete your AIR system as well, then you can simply block off the AIR ports on the headers (or just order race style headers that don't offer AIR or EGR provisions).
Old 07-28-2010, 04:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

^-------nice!
do you know how to delete the AIR? Any other parts other than the pump behind the drivers side headlight and tube coming off the manifolds?
Old 07-28-2010, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, so what I have is kinda like the old school aluminum tube that ran up from the exhaust manifold into the air cleaner intake on carbureated motors? I always thought the AIR systems had lines running all the way to the cats? I guess this is not the case. Another thought...if I purchase a Y pipe with no cats, the AIR system become totally useless anyway huh? Just like the 2 rear O2 sensors will become useless with no cats? In order to prevent getting the SES light, I supposed the AIR system codes can be tuned out along with the rear O2 senosrs?
Old 07-28-2010, 12:06 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Camaro Ryder KV
^-------nice!
do you know how to delete the AIR? Any other parts other than the pump behind the drivers side headlight and tube coming off the manifolds?
There's the pump, the lines, check valves by the manifolds, etc. Also, you'll have to get some custom tuning to delete the codes.

Ok, so what I have is kinda like the old school aluminum tube that ran up from the exhaust manifold into the air cleaner intake on carbureated motors? I always thought the AIR systems had lines running all the way to the cats? I guess this is not the case.
Some old AIR systems ran all the way to the cat. This is no longer common pratice on modern cars. On most older cars, the AIR pump was driven off the belt system rather than the modern electric pump.

Another thought...if I purchase a Y pipe with no cats, the AIR system become totally useless anyway huh?
Yep, totally useless.

Just like the 2 rear O2 sensors will become useless with no cats?
Exactly.

In order to prevent getting the SES light, I supposed the AIR system codes can be tuned out along with the rear O2 senosrs?
Correct. Custom PCM tuning can take care of turning the SES light off for all of these codes.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:51 PM
Staging Lane

Great! Thanks!
Old 07-29-2010, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

I pulled the EGR/AIR system off my 01 LS1. If you're adding headers that don't have the EGR outputs then the only 2 places you need to consider plugging up are...

-The AIR inlet into you're Air box. I just wrapped electrical tape around it.
-A vacuum line on the back of the intake manifold. I just plugged the line over an exposed thread on an ignition coil or something. you can buy a freeze plug, but you'll have to bother with taking the manifold off to get to it... Since half of the damn motor is under the dash
Old 07-29-2010, 12:01 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by zachrywd_01TA
I pulled the EGR/AIR system off my 01 LS1.
Not possibile. Your '01 did not have an EGR system to remove.

Originally Posted by zachrywd_01TA
If you're adding headers that don't have the EGR outputs then the only 2 places you need to consider plugging up are...
Again, what you're referring to is the AIR system, not EGR.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

Talking

01-02 ls1 F-BODIES DO NOT have EGR!!!

my dad is a manager here at a dealership that use to be a pontiac dealership. all cars have the AIR systems cause most states have emissions, however if u live in oklahoma like i do we dont have inspections or emission checks LOL
Old 11-18-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotransam09

my dad is a manager here at a dealership that use to be a pontiac dealership. all cars have the AIR systems cause most states have emissions, however if u live in oklahoma like i do we dont have inspections or emission checks LOL
That said...Here in Md, my car has to be emission tested...IDLE test-no visual inspection other than cat so, if EGR is not needed an Air only works to heat cats at startup (from what I've read)...whats the opinions on needing these 2 systems to pass emission testing?
Old 11-18-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

So does the back of the AIR system on the intake need to be plugged with a freeze plug to delete the system??? I did the one on my LT1 but that was way back when and I dont remember how the system was anymore???
Old 11-19-2010, 12:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotransam09

OKIE here, lovin the no inspections hoping they dont come back
Originally Posted by GIVE EM' THE BIRD
So does the back of the AIR system on the intake need to be plugged with a freeze plug to delete the system??? I did the one on my LT1 but that was way back when and I dont remember how the system was anymore???
plug the nipple on the back of the intake after ripping all of the AIR crap off
Old 11-19-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by nemss1
OKIE here, lovin the no inspections hoping they dont come back

plug the nipple on the back of the intake after ripping all of the AIR crap off
Whats the best way to plug it? Sorry for the newbish question, but I am not all that familiar in the engine bay of an LS1 since my last car was a 94LT1.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GIVE EM' THE BIRD
Whats the best way to plug it? Sorry for the newbish question, but I am not all that familiar in the engine bay of an LS1 since my last car was a 94LT1.
w/ vacuum caps. u can get those at any auto parts store
Old 11-19-2010, 01:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 95wannabe
That said...Here in Md, my car has to be emission tested...IDLE test-no visual inspection other than cat so, if EGR is not needed an Air only works to heat cats at startup (from what I've read)...whats the opinions on needing these 2 systems to pass emission testing?
anyone have experience with this...
Old 11-22-2010, 12:35 PM
11 Second Club

anyone have experience with this...
What is your question exacly? If there's no visual inspection and you have the codes tuned out (assuming you're talking about the AIR system?) then you have nothing to worry about.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NSSANE02
What is your question exacly? If there's no visual inspection and you have the codes tuned out (assuming you're talking about the AIR system?) then you have nothing to worry about.
Was hoping for a Marylander or someone who has to pass sniffer test...Mine is a '95body and they don't just check for codes in Md.
Can I pass without Air/EGR?
Old 11-22-2010, 03:08 PM
11 Second Club

I don't know how well the earlier LS1's would do on an emmissions test without their EGR, but 01+ should pass fine without the AIR system.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:08 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Was hoping for a Marylander or someone who has to pass sniffer test...Mine is a '95body and they don't just check for codes in Md.
Can I pass without Air/EGR?
You should try posting a new thread with that question in your regional section:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-members-56/

Quick Reply: 2002 Camaro EGR or AIR question