New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing rear axel seals

Old 04-10-2012, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing rear axel seals

Like the post says. I've done my searchy searchy, but didn't yield to many results...or unless I am blind. Either way this is on my 02 A4 SS. Just wondering if anyone has a good write up or directions on how to do this. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Remove tires, brakes, brake caliper bracket, and rotor. Then unbolt the rear diff cover, in the center of the spider gears there is a big pin going through the middle. On one end there is a bolt that takes an 8mm wrench, remove that bolt and push the pin out. Watch the gears dont fall out or pay attention how they go in. Once the pin is out push the axle where the wheel bolts on in to the diff. There is a "C" clip that will fall out of the groove in the axle shaft end. Then you slide the axle out, The seal is right on the end of the axle tube.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by conan
Remove tires, brakes, brake caliper bracket, and rotor. Then unbolt the rear diff cover, in the center of the spider gears there is a big pin going through the middle. On one end there is a bolt that takes an 8mm wrench, remove that bolt and push the pin out. Watch the gears dont fall out or pay attention how they go in. Once the pin is out push the axle where the wheel bolts on in to the diff. There is a "C" clip that will fall out of the groove in the axle shaft end. Then you slide the axle out, The seal is right on the end of the axle tube.
Thanks.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

Is that the rear-pinion seal? If it is, searching for that will yield a lot of results. I was researching how to do it in the forums, but wound up paying a local shop when they quoted me at $150. That included changing the oil in the rear-end (synthetic).
Old 04-11-2012, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The pinion seal is different from the axle seals and is much more involved as far as changing one goes.
The following users liked this post:
camarojoeyz28 (03-05-2024)

Search this Thread