New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just finished a built motor h/c build, few small issues.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 05:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just finished a built motor h/c build, few small issues.

02 z28
longtubes
offroad y
full 4" after
Auto

Well a long time back I had a nitrous incident with my stock motor. It was way over revved, messed up a ringland. Now I have a brand new bottom end, ported 5.3's, and a cam. Car ran like I thought it should untuned. You had to keep your foot on it for a little or it would die. Well the builder swapped the maf off his ls1 camaro and it ran a better. It would idle on it's own after it warmed up. I had to go trailer the car home (1.5 hours away). When I picked it up, it ran surprisingly good. Had to have your foot on the gas slightly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXPzg...9aFAAAAAAAABAA

Next day it was idling low and would shut off in gear. I was just trying to move it to the street from my drive way and back up again. Was running stupid rich. I swapped a friends maf in too see if it would fix it, but it didn't chane. it fouled out the plugs.

The maf was on his car and it was fine, but it did throw a code after it was tuned (his car, mine is not tuned). Is it more than likely that the bad maf was richening up the afr's, but the couple of minutes it ran on a good maf it cleaned the plugs off, and then was rich again when my bad maf was put on it? I assume this is the case, and now even with a good maf it wont idle because of the fouled plugs.

Ran for codes today:

p102 maf or vaf circuit low input

p0135 02 sensor heater circuit malfunction band 1 sensor 1

p0155 02 sensor heater circuit malfunction bank 2 sensor 1.

I assume the 02's are fine, but may have a little gas on them.

If that code does assure a totally bad maf, I do have this maf:

It came off a c5 vette and it was fine.

I am cleaning the plugs off tomorrow before firing it up again. Would it be wise to swap mafs and then fire it up, or is my maf fine?

I just want it running how it should before I swap the big injectors in before the dyno.

Last edited by flattusmaximus78; 04-22-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Launching!

i would swap in new plugs and dont keep starting it up with out a tune use the maf that you have just clean it really good with maf cleaner but bring the other maf with you just incase that one is for sure bad the tuner should be able to tell if its bad or not. or pick you up a 85mm truck maf from a sponsor like tsp
Old 04-22-2012, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TransamGCS
i would swap in new plugs and dont keep starting it up with out a tune use the maf that you have just clean it really good with maf cleaner but bring the other maf with you just incase that one is for sure bad the tuner should be able to tell if its bad or not. or pick you up a 85mm truck maf from a sponsor like tsp
Sounds good! That was my only real plan. Clean the plugs up and get it to idle and make sure it idles so that it burns off any extra raw fuel, buy an extra set of plugs and 02's for the dyno as back up. I had planned to bring that other maf. If it still idles crappy I'll attribute it to a lack of a tune. I wont keep moving it around and letting raw fuel build up. Thanks dude.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by flattusmaximus78
Sounds good! That was my only real plan. Clean the plugs up and get it to idle and make sure it idles so that it burns off any extra raw fuel, buy an extra set of plugs and 02's for the dyno as back up. I had planned to bring that other maf. If it still idles crappy I'll attribute it to a lack of a tune. I wont keep moving it around and letting raw fuel build up. Thanks dude.
dont worry about trying to get it to idle, the idle will be fixed in the tune just make sure you take it to a good ls tuner
Old 04-22-2012, 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm going to jeremy formato in tampa. I'm in orlando, so I don't want anything non-tune related going down.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:51 PM
Launching!

I'm going to jeremy formato in tampa. I'm in orlando, so I don't want anything non-tune related going down.
cool im in orlando also, let me know if you need any help, jeremy is good and next level in altamonte is good as well, i also have a stock maf that is good if you want to borrow it

Last edited by TransamGCS; 04-22-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I didnt even see your location. Ill pm you tom and let you know what i come up with!
Old 04-23-2012, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cleaned up plugs and the car sounds much better, let it idle for a few sec b4 it died. After my 8.8 goes in ill swap my 34lbers in an let my tuner be the next person to start the car.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He did a great job with my old car. You won't be disappointed with him. Great guy!
Old 04-23-2012, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Always good to read!