Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting car dyno tuned monday, few ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Getting car dyno tuned monday, few ?'s

1. Right now, when I start my car, it surges like mad and wants to die, and sometimes I have to give it gas to keep it alive. Will this stop, and should my car start like normal after tuning?

2. If I've been driving around for awhile, my car seems to idle ok if I stop at a light. Let's say I rev the engine, it revs fine but when the engine slows down it slows down past idle speed and does that damn surge thing. Please tell me this should stop.

3. I've done like everyone on the LS1tech board has said, I reset the ECM and put about 150 miles on the setup. I'm going to change the oil and the filter tomorrow or the next day, and I'm going to take a look at the plugs, might put fresh ones in before my appointment on monday. The car seems to have learned its new running pattern, it's better than it was when I first installed the cam, but the car still runs like *** and is more of a turd then when it was stock. It doesn't stutter or anything, but it feels like my IROC used to when the timing was off. Sounds funny and really down on power. PLEASE tell me this will stop!
Old 03-27-2004, 01:46 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Sounds like the car is super rich around idle. Tuning should improve all your issues, so long as your dyno tuner is also good with driveability tuning. A couple tuners I've come across can make great power numbers for you, but the low rpm driveability still leaves a lot to be desired. "Perfect" driveability is a subjective term though, so depending on your tolerance for issues you may or may not consider it perfect even after the best of tuners get done with it. I have yet to ride in a cammed LS1 that runs 100% like stock at idle. But then again I'm kinda picky.

How well do you know your tuner? Being that you have an M6 it should be far easier to fix it up real nice at idle. A4s take a lot more work, IMO. I spent hundreds of miles tuning and re-tuning mine to get the idle as good as possibile with my stall & cam.

To give you an exmaple, I'd say that if you put your idle/low rpm driveabililty on a scale of 1-10 (10 being as perfect as stock, and 1 barely able to run at all), if you're in the 3-5 range now you could expect an 8 or so on average by the time it's done. This also depends on how high you are willing to raise your idle, and what the specs of your cam are. I know that's a rough way to explain it, but it's about the best I can do....
Old 03-27-2004, 02:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, its running very rich, the neighbor kid told me it smells like a go-kart! I am converting to an LS6 intake and I'm also getting one of those Bauer racing throttle bodies, should I wait to get it tuned until after I do those last 2 mods?
Old 03-27-2004, 04:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i think i would hold off on the tune till you get th intake and TB installed.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:47 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
I am converting to an LS6 intake and I'm also getting one of those Bauer racing throttle bodies, should I wait to get it tuned until after I do those last 2 mods?
Yes, I'd say get all your mods done first, then dial in the tuning.
Old 03-27-2004, 11:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Yes, I'd say get all your mods done first, then dial in the tuning.