New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best sounding/performing exhaust for the $

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best sounding/performing exhaust for the $

I have a stock 01 TA (regular hood, not ws6) with the exception of a SLP bullet muffler. It's an immaculate car, perfect condition with only 57k miles. It runs really great and is so fun to drive with the 6 speed stick! The only thing I feel it needs is something to do the sound of the exhaust some justice. I've heard of cut outs, dumps and open headers. I dont have the money to buy new headers, cams, or to have all new exhaust layouts done with a new config like true duals etc. What could I have done to the factory exhaust to give it a good aggressive sound to match it's great performance? PS - forgive me but i'm not totally clear on what is done with "open headers" is that literally just cutting the exhaust system away from the headers? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-03-2012, 02:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Open headers are cool for about 5 minutes... After that only little kids and red necks like it. The tone/quality is ***... It is just LOUD and nothing else.

If you want something a little on the loud sound and don't plan on full exhaust look into the SLP loudmouth... Something a little more tame with good tone/quality would be magnaflow. You can pick up both used at a good price, both stainless as well.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Borlamouth

http://youtu.be/uf_85Rh6zmg

Last edited by Roarin_8; 05-04-2012 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Added video
Old 05-03-2012, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

The loudmouth is light, free flowing, and well ... louuuuuudd. Sounds even better w / long tubes / ory
Old 05-03-2012, 05:10 PM
11 Second Club

for the $ a cutout is best and they sound good on a stock exhaust.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lemons12
Open headers are cool for about 5 minutes... After that only little kids and red necks like it. The tone/quality is ***... It is just LOUD and nothing else.

If you want something a little on the loud sound and don't plan on full exhaust look into the SLP loudmouth... Something a little more tame with good tone/quality would be magnaflow. You can pick up both used at a good price, both stainless as well.

I agree.

Open headers is extremely loud and it just sounds like garbage. I got a headache from open headers just driving it to the muffler shop 4 miles away.

I like my Hooker Aerochamber.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

open headers is garbage....at low cruising rpm it sounds just like the Sanford and son truck going down the road....and at WOT it sounds ungodly loud....and your backpressure is gone and tq suffers. i personally took my slp bullet off and threw on a dynomax and i will never go back. i love it. it really made it nice once i put on headers....just grab a set of hookers for like 400 dollars and put them on over a weekend and you will be stunned at how much better it will sound. ill attatch a clip of the open header sound i mentioned as well as my sound....the video does not do it justice. this was with my old ls1 motor. the tone with dynomax is deeper and just as loud. more muscular to me. my friends love it. when the headers were on is when it changed alot.

just the dynomax muffler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXfi8MtqiVA

the same with headers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWczHF4f7sw

flyby vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKnvDruC0zA

the shitty sound of open headers (not mine)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw9sQ0HQc8o
Old 05-03-2012, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

Best sounding is subjective, its like saying "whats the best color". Good exhaust systems for their price are SLP LM and Magnaflow. I would stay away from flowmasters system (seems to be restrictive on these cars) and hooker (I've heard of people saying the quality of the systems hasn't been great since they changed the plant they make them). Although there are a lot of other good systems out their but there just a little more pricey (Corsica, GMMG, etc)
Old 05-03-2012, 07:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

x2 I started my car with open headers, and would not want to dive it that way.

Originally Posted by sepsis
I agree.

Open headers is extremely loud and it just sounds like garbage. I got a headache from open headers just driving it to the muffler shop 4 miles away.

I like my Hooker Aerochamber.
sepsis, hows the hooker working out for you? I am really leaning towards it for my setup. If I remember correctly you are running the edelbrock LT's and ORY as well right? Most of the people that have it seet to like it and say there is little to no rasp. I remember watching your video when you first got it, and now that you have had it for a while your input would be great, thanks!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:36 PM
Captain Double Post

Loudmouth 1 sounds great on a stock car, i loved mine but after mods it goes to crap, but that will sound great on your car if your just looking to do a catback
Old 05-03-2012, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

One more vote for the hooker
Old 05-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Captain Double Post

You could also do a dumped bullet before the axle, just cut off your catback put a magnaflow bullet on
Old 05-04-2012, 02:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z-camaro
x2 I started my car with open headers, and would not want to dive it that way.

sepsis, hows the hooker working out for you? I am really leaning towards it for my setup. If I remember correctly you are running the edelbrock LT's and ORY as well right? Most of the people that have it seet to like it and say there is little to no rasp. I remember watching your video when you first got it, and now that you have had it for a while your input would be great, thanks!

You're correct. Edelbrock stepped headers and catless TSP ORY. I like it a lot. It's got a good sound and no rasp. It's pretty loud at WOT, but very tame at warm idle and cruising speed.

Here's a little vid I made of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLxzveK35SU
Old 05-04-2012, 10:09 AM

Not trying to hi jack but what about tips? What are you guys running?
Old 05-04-2012, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Corsa clones if you run tips, no other choice IMO.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by lemons12
Corsa clones if you run tips, no other choice IMO.
Yeah those look nice in the trans am but what about the camaro? Don't they look a little out of place?
Old 05-04-2012, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Marios_98z
Yeah those look nice in the trans am but what about the camaro? Don't they look a little out of place?
They look excellent on either IMO... For a Camaro I prefer dumped anyway.

The Maganflow single tips don't look bad on the Camaro either though.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

IMO the only real choices if you're on any kind of budget is the Magnaflow or SLP LM 1 or 2. Both can be found under 400 bucks, shipped, and both are stainless.

I've heard the Hooker, and it sounds good, but I can't see buying a non-stainless exhaust. For just a few bucks over the Hooker you could get one of the stainless ones.

If you're just replacing the muffler, then I'd consider the Hooker.

I think the best of both worlds would be the Magnaflow with an e-cutout. That way you get the quietness of the MF when you need it, and the loud fun of the open e-cutout when you wantthat.

I plan on installing that combo soon, it's sitting on thefloor in my spare bedroom right now. Cops here can be picky aobut the noise, hence the Magnaflow, but then I have the cutout for scaring pedestrians
Old 05-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Staging Lane

X2^ just installed my e-cutout on the I pipe of the exhuast right before it goes over the axle. It sounds awesome Specialy at WOT. When I get around my aparments I just shut it off. I paid $180 for it and had it installed and wired in for $150 so just depends what you want. Here's the link to the group buy from one of sponsers which is by far the cheapest I could find them with a 4yr warranty.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-g...hread-2-a.html

Oh and it doesn't sound as shity as open headers (at least not like the video above).
Old 05-04-2012, 12:07 PM
11 Second Club

another vote for hooker!!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6JU3xakjRA

Last edited by blackls1ta00; 05-04-2012 at 12:09 PM. Reason: added video

Quick Reply: Best sounding/performing exhaust for the $