Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans am lights acting up

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 01:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Trans am lights acting up

So just recently my headlight have been tweeking out. When ever i lock and unlock my car with the remote the head lights flip up and down and make a weird noise for about 5 seconds. Also, when u turn the light switch one to the right the headlights come up now before they didnt. I can make a video of the problem if anyone is confused
Old 05-15-2012, 02:04 AM
On The Tree

If it's a grinding noise you hear then that would be the headlight gear. Figure out which side it is coming from and check the gear. Located in the window motor.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LSxWittles
If it's a grinding noise you hear then that would be the headlight gear. Figure out which side it is coming from and check the gear. Located in the window motor.
Yup grinding noise driver side
Old 05-15-2012, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your headlight motor is done. You need to replace the gear inside of the headlight motor. Check link below for all the info you could need.
http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headl...htgearfailures
Old 05-15-2012, 09:24 AM
Teching In

Agree Headlight motor is done. I spent the extra money and just bought a new one from autozone (lifetime warranty). Replaced it about a week ago and no more problem!
Old 05-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Launching!

I third it, its your headlight gear i would go with the metal gear its very easy to do and will last a long time and cheaper than buying a new assembly plus if you buy a new assembly it will have the plastic gears which will eventually strip out again. here is where i bought mine http://www.rodneydickman.com
Old 05-16-2012, 08:23 AM
On The Tree

Lol just realized I said window motor. But yes it is the headlight motor
Old 05-16-2012, 12:14 PM
Staging Lane

Ok thanks guys. Is it still the headlight motor even though the light still flips up and down? Cause Ive had my headlight motor go out before and it was the driver side and my light didnt even go up or down. Also, if it is the motor why do both lights flip up when i hit lock or unlock on my remote.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WSUHottBOI
Ok thanks guys. Is it still the headlight motor even though the light still flips up and down? Cause Ive had my headlight motor go out before and it was the driver side and my light didnt even go up or down. Also, if it is the motor why do both lights flip up when i hit lock or unlock on my remote.
Read my sticky (link is in my sig), it will explain how our headlights work and the symptoms.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The headlight motor is not necessarily done. The housing on the headlight motors work them selves a little loose causing a lack of gear contact. This causes the motors to chew up the inside gear. Since the motor only uses half the gear at a time you can simply remove the motor. Tighten down the case and rotate the shaft and gear 180 degrees and reinstall. I have done it on more than one car and works perfect everytime. If it chews up the other side then you may want to look into the metal gears.

Note: If you don't tighten down the housing the motor will soon chew up the other side of the gear. The housing needs to be tightened. From what I recall there are two little metal tabs that get stretched over time. Just hold the housing down as tight as you can and use a flat head to press it back up. You can go here and read #2 for more info.
http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headl...htgearfailures

Last edited by 88gtman; 05-16-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:42 PM
Teching In

head light gear for sure. been there done that. moved the gear two but lasted about 2 weeks at the most and had the same problem again. hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Trans am lights acting up