Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True WS6??

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 09:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation True WS6??

Okay so I am pretty savvy when it comes to this. However I have yet to see the crappy oval tips on a true WS6. No door sticker picture available though I have requested it. Used compnine vin decoder as i am privy to the VIN. This evidence or course isn't sufficient for me as those terrible rusty oval tips that look like they are from a v6 are sticking out the back. Could someone please shed some light as to why a true WS6 may have those thing anemic oval tips?
Old 05-17-2012, 09:41 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tips are aftermarket

If it is a T-Top car the following RPO codes need to be present to be a TRUE WS6 - WS9, Y82 and WS6

Unless it is a Formula WS6 then it won't have the Y82 option
Old 05-17-2012, 10:57 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by nls8520
No door sticker picture available though I have requested it. Used compnine vin decoder as i am privy to the VIN. This evidence or course isn't sufficient for me as those terrible rusty oval tips that look like they are from a v6 are sticking out the back.
If you have decoded the VIN and can see that WS6 is present, then the car is a real WS6 and exhaust tips aren't going to change that. I am unsure as to why you would place more doubt or concern on it's validity based on exhaust tips rather than on the VIN. If you want further confirmation before actually seeing the door sticker, you can take the VIN to any GM dealer and have them run it as well. At that point, all you have to do is verify the VIN to be correct when you see the car in person. If this is not sufficient proof for you, then I'm not sure what would be.

However I have yet to see the crappy oval tips on a true WS6. Could someone please shed some light as to why a true WS6 may have those thing anemic oval tips?
Tips have nothing to do with anything when it comes to a used car. These could have easily been changed over the years, as MANY people modify exhaust systems (and sometimes put various stock exhaust systems back on to sell cars). VIN and RPOs will tell the real tale of this car, not the exhaust system.

Also, I seem to remember the stock LT1 WS6s coming with oval tips from the factory.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 05-17-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone ever heard of some sort of "SLP" reference on the doors for the WS6?
Old 01-13-2013, 06:37 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony887
Has anyone ever heard of some sort of "SLP" reference on the doors for the WS6?
No, absolutely not for a '98-'02 WS6. SLP had nothing to do with the LS1 WS6 program whatsoever. Those cars were converted by ASC.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:51 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay so I am pretty savvy when it comes to this. However I have yet to see the crappy oval tips on a true WS6. No door sticker picture available though I have requested it. Used compnine vin decoder as i am privy to the VIN. This evidence or course isn't sufficient for me as those terrible rusty oval tips that look like they are from a v6 are sticking out the back. Could someone please shed some light as to why a true WS6 may have those thing anemic oval tips?
A factory WS6 would have the dual pea shooter exhaust on it, unless it's a '98.. in which case it would have a single exhaust on the right. They never sold LS1 Trans Am WS6s with the same oval tips that came on the regular Trans Am that I know of.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rpm ws6 above is right on the money, as usual. he knows what hes talking about. exhaust tips are like a license plate frame, doesnt mean a thing cause they have probly been changed.

Quick Reply: True WS6??