New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions regarding an LS1 with milkiness....

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 08:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions regarding an LS1 with milkiness....

Thanks to Conan, he has answered my original question regarding what the two lines were. One is the PCV line, and the other is the crossrover line between the heads that attaches to the throttle body.

Now i have a legitimate issue....

The oil cap has condensation on it, but none in the oil pan. The TB and the intake has the condensation as well.

The truck had a bad water pump, and its now replaced. but i haven't started it since installing this past weekend.

When it did run, the truck ran ok when you don't get on it, when you stomp it, after you let up, it runs rough, idle is jacked up, LOADING up on fuel, but no codes are showing on the computer.

The truck also doesn't have heat like it used to. This could be an issue that relates to nothing to do with this, but having being part of the cooling system, figured i would try and make sure.

The truck also overheats if sitting while running, no matter how you drive it.

The starter also is dragging. When the truck is cold, it struggles to turn the engine over. When its hot, forget it. I have to wait until the engine cools (about 10 minutes) down before i can start it again.

None of these issues happened when we first built the truck. I had heat, truck ran like a raped ape, and NEVER had a cooling problem. We have taken it to many shows and cruise around in it and never gotten hot. Always ran at 190. I do have a dual electric fan setup on the truck and the larger radiator for the 67-72 C10s. I am running an external trans cooler for the 4L60E.

So far i have flushed the engine oil, and the coolant system. Added an over flow tank. Replaced the T stat twice (just in case the replacement was junk). Check the radiator, and no leaks. The fans are running fine as well. Now i am in the process of replacing the Water pump, which was bad (leaking from the seep hole on the bottom)

I know its lengthy, and i will be trying to search for answers in the LS1 threads as well, but thought i could ask you guys since i know you are a lot more familiar with these engines than I

edit:

Here is a little more info. After taking the valve covers off, this is what it looks like. Is this good? Bad? Ugly?

This is my first time inside this engine, or any LS series engine for that matter. Would you guys consider this good?

There was an EXTREMELY minimal amount of water i found in the oil. I checked the dipstick and in all the crevices above.

Last edited by Josh40601; 05-14-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The first pic is for coolant to flow through the throttle body. You dont need to have that hooked up. There should be a cross over pipe from your heads with a small hose running to the radiator, that hose used to go through those pipes on the throttle body.

The second is for your PCV systems it should be plugged in to the hose in the 3rd pic with the orange #'s.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:56 AM
Launching!

Thanks bud!

The small line that runs from passenger to driver is there, and this was hooked to it. On the end that should be going to the radiator is capped off. Is that ok? You can see in the pic how it was capped off.

This is for the PCV system. Got it. Is it supposed to look milky in the intake and throttle body like shown in the pics?
Old 05-01-2012, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

[QUOTE=Josh40601;16258904]ok,

I circled this line that is attached to the throttle body. It is capped on one end, then leads into the intake.

The pipe in my pic here has a hose that goes to one side (TB) of this pic ^^^ and then then to the radiator. You can by pass the throttle body ports but you need the pipe from the crossover tube on the heads to go to the radiator. You can take those 2 hoses off you throttle body and leave them open.

The milky stuff is just oil from the pcv mixing with condensation and crank case gases. Get a catch can for the pcv to get rid of that happening in the intake
Old 05-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Launching!

Thanks so much for the help Conan. Since it is ran to the TB, and i am not running an Fbody radiator, i am lost on how to run this line into the radiator.

I also updated the first post to help try and nail down the issue i am having with the C10

Last edited by Josh40601; 05-01-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

use this in your upper radiator hose (or something similar) run the cross over tube hose to a nipple on this pipe. Bypass the throttle body

that gunk in the throttle body is coming form the breather hose on the pass valve cover not the PCV, pull the pass valve cover and look for more gunk, maybe a cracked head.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Launching!

WTF is that picture of?! So no need to cool the throttle body then?

As far as the line going into the passenger side valve cover... Oh ****...

You don't think head gasket? I have NEVER let the truck get up to 240*. The engine is basically all stock other than exhaust, intake, and a tune. Only has around 72-73k on it.

Last edited by Josh40601; 05-01-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

It's not cooling the throttle body, it is actually there to warm it up in colder climates. The hose in question is the steam vent for your engine. It needs to vent steam built up inside the engine during operation. Not sure how you survived this long with it plugged. Might be part of your problem with overheating, that and a bad water pump.

T,
Old 05-01-2012, 03:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Josh40601
WTF is that picture of?! So no need to cool the throttle body then?
radiator hose adapter with thread bungs to install hose barbs, you could make it chaeaper if you were so inclined....no reason to heat the t-body

As far as the line going into the passenger side valve cover... Oh ****...
pull the cover and check

You don't think head gasket? I have NEVER let the truck get up to 240*. The engine is basically all stock other than exhaust, intake, and a tune. Only has around 72-73k on it.
head gasket is still a possibilty
Old 05-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TomM
It's not cooling the throttle body, it is actually there to warm it up in colder climates. The hose in question is the steam vent for your engine. It needs to vent steam built up inside the engine during operation. Not sure how you survived this long with it plugged. Might be part of your problem with overheating, that and a bad water pump.

T,
Got it! Now things are starting to make sense. (light bulb finally came on...)

Originally Posted by oange ss
radiator hose adapter with thread bungs to install hose barbs, you could make it chaeaper if you were so inclined....no reason to heat the t-body
I was confused. I will check to see if any of the vendors offer it. If not, I am sure Summit or Jegs would.

pull the cover and check,
ASAP.

head gasket is still a possibilty
That's a much smaller oh ****. I had already figured this was my problem. Cracked head is a little more priceir than a head gasket.

This is a huge help gents. I had no idea what was going on.

Last edited by Josh40601; 05-01-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:13 PM
TECH Junkie

circled in red

Old 05-01-2012, 03:21 PM
Launching!

Rodger that. Checked with a couple vendors, nothing. Summit wants 40 bucks for that one you posted. Seems a little steep for just a black piece of plastic, 2 bungs, and 2 fittings.

Last edited by Josh40601; 05-01-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:33 PM
Launching!

BTW, what throttle cable is that? I'm using the autozone special and this thing sucks. Do you happen to have a build thread or anything on that?
Old 05-01-2012, 03:42 PM
TECH Junkie

stock F-body. I think I started one but never got around to updating it.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

x2 on the catch can
Old 05-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by boostit5.3
x2 on the catch can
such as one of these?

http://mikenorrismotorsports.com/Bil...atch_Cans.html
Old 05-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a hydrocarbon test done your coolant... that will rule out a headgasket or confirm it...

what do you have for o2 sensors?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Launching!

stock 02 sensors in the factory F body manifolds. Rears were deleted from the harness, comp, and pipes. Running a howell harness for engine and trans along with a howell programming of the stock fbody PCM
Old 05-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SVTconfused
get a hydrocarbon test done your coolant... that will rule out a headgasket or confirm it...
from what i read, this is the best kit to get for at home fellers like myself.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...006_0361165456

Looks like the local guys don't have it, so i will have to order it.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just like that one. That will keep all that **** out of the intake.

Quick Reply: Questions regarding an LS1 with milkiness....