Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

charging light wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 02:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default charging light wiring

hey i've searched a ton and still a bit confused. everyone is talking about hooking the brown wire from the alternator up to a resister or a charging light bulb and it sounds like they are saying to cut the brown wire and hook it up to your resistor/light thru to the b+. i have a 02 silverado 5.3 i stuck in a buggy with the stock harness stripped and only the UFB along with a painless harness. i would like to instead of cutting the wire and or splicing into it, it would be clean if i could pick up the wire after the ecm if it came out in say the c100 connector or somewhere but i dont know where it comes out. i started with the stock gauges and a full harness then stripped it away following lt1swap info and didnt think about the charging light since it was not mentioned. now im buttoning up the harness and i need to stick the light in and hook up the wire but i wasnt sure which wire it was before let alone now that i stripped the excess wires. but if you are not sure where the brown wire ends up after the ecm then correct me if im wrong, i can just solder a splice onto the brown wire and hook that up to my bulb(non led?) right? and then leaving the wire intact going to the ecm will also provide the resistor for back up incase the bulb fuses together and shoots straight b+ to the alternator? or i suppose the resistor needs to be inline with the charging light in order to act as insurance? 1 more thing is i am looking at the alternator faq and am looking at the diagram for the 2001 truck and it shows that the brown wire does not go through the ecm before it goes to the charging light. i thought people were saying those year engines had the brown wire going to the ecm first. thanks for any info you can give me
-jesse