..What mod to choose first!?... - LS1TECH

Go Back   LS1TECH > WELCOME TO LS1TECH > New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech
Log In 
Search


New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech
Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by
Improved Racing


..What mod to choose first!?...

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
Teching In
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 12
Talking ..What mod to choose first!?...

I'm new on the forum, and i own a 2002 Trans Am Ws6. It is black in color with a t-56 6 speed manual trans. It also has ONLY 57,500 MILES!! I have been sitting around, cleaning it everyday and i have ultimatly decided to go ahead a start moding it. I was wondering what MOD i should do first? OPINIONS ARE REQUESTED!! What do you guys suggest i should start with? My ultimate goal is 425-475hp!! (at least 425 but flexible a little past 475) I'm open to any kind of mod! Forced Induction or even Head and Cam work.... Ready... Set... COMMENT!!
tylerstransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
TECH Addict
 
djsanchez2's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 14
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Simi Valley, CA.
Posts: 2,730
Default

A beefier rearend..... Modded LS1's are hell on the stock 10bolt, esp. with a T56 if you plan on running any sort of sticky tire.

9"
12 Bolt
Dana 60

After that i would say a cam, nitrous and a clutch. You will not be sorry.
__________________

www.Fquick.com/djsanchez2
"Spending money I don't have, to buy parts I don't need, to impress people I don't know!" - Grumpy Jenkins

djsanchez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
TECH Fanatic
 
AronZ28's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Murfreesboro TN
Posts: 1,620
Default

Get a cat-back exhaust if its bone stock, and a lid. You'll pick up 10-15rwhp with those two mods alone.

Also, what is your budget here??? Best advice I can give is read, read, read, and read some more. The search button is your friend, if you have a question, search first as its most likely been asked a bunch of times.
__________________
Current Ride:
1992 Lexus SC300, 5 speed, 76k miles . . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
Last time I walked into an auto zone an employee told me "have you tried to google it? I dont even really work on cars"
Its like having a vegetarian as head chef at a steak house
AronZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:25 PM   #4
TECH Fanatic
 
AronZ28's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Murfreesboro TN
Posts: 1,620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsanchez2 View Post
A new rearend..... Modded LS1's are hell on the stock 10bolt.

9"
12 Bolt
Dana 60
Man, I'm a fan of beating on the 10 bolt until you break it. Some guys get lucky and run 500rwhp combos through it without fuss, others blow it up on the street with a 3000rpm clutch dump on stock power. Really its kind of luck of the draw as to how durable it is when you start making 50+ more rwhp than stock.
__________________
Current Ride:
1992 Lexus SC300, 5 speed, 76k miles . . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
Last time I walked into an auto zone an employee told me "have you tried to google it? I dont even really work on cars"
Its like having a vegetarian as head chef at a steak house
AronZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:26 PM   #5
Douchebag On The Tree
 
justin455's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 1,175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerstransam View Post
I'm new on the forum, and i own a 2002 Trans Am Ws6. It is black in color with a t-56 6 speed manual trans. It also has ONLY 57,500 MILES!! I have been sitting around, cleaning it everyday and i have ultimatly decided to go ahead a start moding it. I was wondering what MOD i should do first? OPINIONS ARE REQUESTED!! What do you guys suggest i should start with? My ultimate goal is 425-475hp!! (at least 425 but flexible a little past 475) I'm open to any kind of mod! Forced Induction or even Head and Cam work.... Ready... Set... COMMENT!!
Other sections of this website. I do believe there's even a whole thread titled "So you wanna be fast?"
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-seriesTech View Post
After you hit 200mph you go and get yourself a BJ.
justin455 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:55 PM   #6
TECH Addict
 
djsanchez2's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 14
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Simi Valley, CA.
Posts: 2,730
Default

I went through 3 of them in my auto Z-28, only mods being Lid, shorty headers and a nitto DR. All covered under warranty thankfully.
__________________

www.Fquick.com/djsanchez2
"Spending money I don't have, to buy parts I don't need, to impress people I don't know!" - Grumpy Jenkins

djsanchez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:40 AM   #7
Teching In
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 12
Default

Well here is my basis... I am in freaking LOVE with this car and will probably(hopefully) keep it forever! so money isn't the most nittygritty! As for it goes with POWER made.. I just want to be over 400.. 425-475 is just a sweet spot, i know the t-56 isn't know to be strong but i figure DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT, and DRIVE IT TIL IT BREAKS! right?! Well i like the ideas so far! I am going to read the "So you want to be fast" soon here. i am going to be running a set of 19x9.5 in. RPM 505's for the rear and 18x9" for the front if that has an impact on anybody's decision. I am thinking LONG term... 2-5 years! I'm also 17 years old so college budget might also play a roll in the modification on my car. it is also my daily driver.. Drivability=not a big deal....
tylerstransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:52 AM   #8
TECH Resident
 
Catmaigne's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 6
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Conshohocken, PA
Posts: 869
Default

The trans can take a beating, but the rear definitely won't. Replace your 10 bolt with a 9", 12 bolt, or [if you're handy with a welder and can fab something yourself] an 8.8".
__________________

96Z M6, ERE-383 #60, AFR 210s, LE cam, my bottomless moneypit
95 Roadmaster sleeper, bolt-on, T56 swap, aka The Cammaster
Catmaigne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:05 AM   #9
Teching In
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 12
Default

I know MANY close friends with YEARS AND YEARS of experience!, And I'm not afraid to try anything so I am kind of liking that fabrication idea! I'm loving the creativity!
tylerstransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:20 AM   #10
TECH Senior Member
 
ULTIMATEORANGESS's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 4
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: eatontown,nj
Posts: 10,182
Smile

if your goal is 400rwhp youll need full boltons and a cam. a tune will be necessary. have fun.
__________________
99 hugger orange ss. a4 slp y2y
built motor,trans,rear, susp. ect.

415/391 MD.
more stuff coming soon!

QS m6 05 GTO. LPE CAI, magnaflow catback. ported 243s, ls3 cam. tune. 345/340 stock manifolds.MD. its for sale.
ULTIMATEORANGESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:44 AM   #11
TECH Apprentice
 
AmDWs6's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bahrain
Posts: 376
Send a message via Skype™ to AmDWs6
Default

if it's bone stock,
fix your induction and out-duction, what i mean by that is first help the car breath better it will help any other mods you go ahead with.
i know a friend of mine that has a precision turbo installed on his stock 01'camaro, im not sure about his lid and exhaust.
he also replaced his clutch.
with that turbo alone he's close to 500 hp
stock differential.
there are tons of ways to reach your goal but you have to find which one will suit your current needs and your future plans, it's a hard combo.
AmDWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #12
TECH Addict
 
mjs1012's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 31
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Milford, CT
Posts: 2,230
Default

Lid/cat back/frost tune. Should be good for a little while.
mjs1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #13
Staging Lane
 
brendo389's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 91
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerstransam View Post
Well here is my basis... I am in freaking LOVE with this car and will probably(hopefully) keep it forever! so money isn't the most nittygritty! As for it goes with POWER made.. I just want to be over 400.. 425-475 is just a sweet spot, i know the t-56 isn't know to be strong but i figure DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT, and DRIVE IT TIL IT BREAKS! right?! Well i like the ideas so far! I am going to read the "So you want to be fast" soon here. i am going to be running a set of 19x9.5 in. RPM 505's for the rear and 18x9" for the front if that has an impact on anybody's decision. I am thinking LONG term... 2-5 years! I'm also 17 years old so college budget might also play a roll in the modification on my car. it is also my daily driver.. Drivability=not a big deal....
Catback, free mods (lid, throttle body, egr, etc), y pipe and LT's, rear end. Good basis to make more power on, and reliable. Power is good and all, but trust me, you don't want to have the car sitting in the garage for months because you blew out the rear end. Keep in mind labor isn't cheap as well, so unless you're very good at working with cars, and have a lift for some of the mods, these long term goals aren't going to come within 2 years, try 3-5 years.
__________________
2000 Trans Am Navy Blue Metallic 6 Speed Manual
309RWHP, 331RWTQ bone stock
Strano Springs, Koni Yellow Stage 2 shocks, BMR Strut tower, BFG G-Force Sport Comp-2 tires
Minor bolt ons, Autocross weapon!
brendo389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #14
Teching In
 
thatoneguybriz's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 44
Default

I can only speak as a new f-body owner myself but I really enjoyed being able to hear my car a bit more after the dynomax bullet install. As they say the gateway mods seem to be an lid and exhaust.
thatoneguybriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #15
Teching In
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 12
Default

Yes my friend has a shop and we throw his brothers corvette up on the lift everyonce in a while when he wanted different exhaust, and head/cam work done. Also building up a friends 1971 Ford F-150 454 4-speed. So i have the people, materials, and experience between family members and friends an such. And yeah i will own this car for ever so if its 10 years even i don't really care.. Because driving it completely stock is pretty FREAKING AMAZING!!!!! LOL AND as far as a rear end, where to do i find a reasonably priced one? TSP has them but DAYUM!! $2300 minimun... slap my *** and call me sally
tylerstransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #16
TECH Enthusiast
 
Charlie Hustle's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 8
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 621
Send a message via AIM to Charlie Hustle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerstransam View Post
Yes my friend has a shop and we throw his brothers corvette up on the lift everyonce in a while when he wanted different exhaust, and head/cam work done. Also building up a friends 1971 Ford F-150 454 4-speed. So i have the people, materials, and experience between family members and friends an such. And yeah i will own this car for ever so if its 10 years even i don't really care.. Because driving it completely stock is pretty FREAKING AMAZING!!!!! LOL AND as far as a rear end, where to do i find a reasonably priced one? TSP has them but DAYUM!! $2300 minimun... slap my *** and call me sally
LMAO. Gotta pay to play, buckaroo!
__________________

2002 SOM WS6 Slammed Cammed Stalled and Sold to LawHorn
Charlie Hustle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #17
12 Second Club
 
Roarin_8's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 5
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 4,428
Send a message via MSN to Roarin_8
Default

Rear ends are gonna cost but they are a necessity with M6s, get it now to save your rear later
__________________
2000 Z28 Without cam or headers with 2.73s ET & MPH- 12.262 @ 111.70 @ATCO, NJ 60'- 1.705 - nitto drags
FQUICK SITE l My Youtube| 12.27 at 109 run l My Facebook
Roarin_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #18
On The Tree
 
BigBadVoodoo Daddy's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: FRIENDSWOOD TX
Posts: 112
Default

I paid $2600 for my 9" from bob at brute speed and he has some great prices buddy. U will hear u gotta pay to play a lot cause it's true. Do it right do it once and forget about it. I personally wouldn't do it until it breaks but all the while I'd start saving money for when it does. A t56 equals broken stock rear. It's not if but when!
BigBadVoodoo Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:45 AM   #19
Teching In
 
thatoneguybriz's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 44
Default

How fast do you want to spend...?
thatoneguybriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:10 AM   #20
LS1Tech Sponsor
 
Bob@BruteSpeed's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 16
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Roanoke, In
Posts: 19,273
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadVoodoo Daddy View Post
I paid $2600 for my 9" from bob at brute speed and he has some great prices buddy. U will hear u gotta pay to play a lot cause it's true. Do it right do it once and forget about it. I personally wouldn't do it until it breaks but all the while I'd start saving money for when it does. A t56 equals broken stock rear. It's not if but when!
Thanks, I appreciate it! Bob
__________________
ATI ProCharger and Moser Sales 260 672-2076

E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.com


https://www.brutespeed.com/index.htm Link to website


Bob@BruteSpeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help and ideas. majestoke New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech 10 08-15-2014 11:05 PM
91 camaro twin turbo 5.3 5.3swap Forced Induction 369 03-03-2014 06:30 PM
LS1 platform vs LS6 platform, bolt ons, cams, etc??? OUGrad05 Corvette Performance 12 11-04-2013 05:47 PM
Suspension mods worth it for DD? aaron_douglas Suspension & Brakes 23 01-28-2013 01:14 PM
DIY twin pumps on the quick and cheap MIGHTYMOUSE Fueling & Injection 64 11-07-2011 04:50 PM


Tags
2000, 2002, buy, cam, end, esp, ls1, ls1tech, mod, mods, nitrous, rear, stock, tech, trans


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


 

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC2
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Service - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - JOBS
Emails & Contact Details