Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 10:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Help

After going to the track and making some passes i started hearing the whining noise from the power steering pump and on my last run it got really loud when I made the turn down to the beams.
I checked the fluid and it was low so I just figured it was because I was running the car too hard on a hot day so I refilled the pump with power steering fluid.
I notice now when the car is hot that a really bad burning smell comes into the car and when I go into reverse and back up smoke starts coming out from under the hood.
The weird thing is, it only smokes in reverse, when the car has been driven for a while and heated up.
Anybody had this trouble before? Do i need an entire new pump and reservoir or is this a fixable problem?
Old 05-22-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would put some dye in the system and use a uv black light to check for leaks, powersteering fluid doesn't just disappear. Most likely it is leaking onto something hot and causing the smoke. The leak can happen when its hot but not cold because everything expands when it gets hot, so the leak may not be present under cold conditions but when hot it may start leaking again. I would check the lines first and work your way from there.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Default Power steering

I have the same exact symptoms. I flushed my power steering thoroughly, and used "Bar's Power Steering Repair". Also i noticed my rack has a bad seal that only fails after hard driving, then hard turning. Basicaly the fluid gets thin, then the seal lets it pass through. It sucks air in and starts making noise, then when the air purges and it quiets down. My rack needs replacing but the power steering addative seems to have bought me some time.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:23 AM
Staging Lane

alright, i will try some additive and get back. im pretty sure its leaking down to the headers which is burning it almost instantly causing all the smoke

Quick Reply: Power Steering Help